Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Car Park At Slievenagore  (Read 4325 times)

harveymt

• Newbie Poster
Car Park At Slievenagore
« on: August 24, 2012 »

I was hoping to a bit of a dander round Silent Valley on Saturday.  I think the car park there closes about 6?  Just having a quick look at my map there's a park marked on the Moyad Road at the base of Slievenagore.  Anyone know it? Can you park up there ok for the day?

surfnscenic

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Re: Car Park At Slievenagore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012 »

I was hoping to a bit of a dander round Silent Valley on Saturday.  I think the car park there closes about 6?  Just having a quick look at my map there's a park marked on the Moyad Road at the base of Slievenagore.  Anyone know it? Can you park up there ok for the day?

Good morning.  The car park I believe you're referring to is at the start of the Banns Road.  It's beside an equestrian centre.  You'll probably find plenty of other cars parked there.  Just take the usual precautions that you'd take when parking the car.  if there's no space at the car park ask at the centre and the will most likely let you park on their property.  I had to do that before. Have a good day.
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012 »

I've parked there before and went over Slievenagore to Silent Valley, it's a bit tussocky on the other side but quite funny when you get used to it.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

harveymt

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012 »

I parked up at Bann's Road on Saturday. I headed up it to Lough Shannagh then up Doan and across to Ben Crom. Then I headed over and down to the head of Ben Crom reservoir. Had lunch there and then proceeded all the way down to the start of Silent Valley reservoir. Crossed over to other side and up and over Slievenagore and met up with Bann's Road again and went back down to car.

Good wee walk. My phone GPS switched itself of for a bit during it so I don't know the exact distance but it's about 12 miles.  Burns around 3000 calories. There's not a huge ascent in it either.  Going up Doan can be steepish depending on where you go up, same with Ben Crom. I choose the steeper routes.  Heading down to Ben Crom reservoir is steep and a bit tricky.

I'll definitely give this route a go again.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]