Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Learning by our mistake's  (Read 2243 times)

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Learning by our mistake's
« on: December 21, 2011 »

I've never be worried about admitting when i wrong,it should be used as a learning curve to correct & inhance any skills we have,as everyone has strenghts & weaknesses alike.Navigational skills is something i'am always trying to improve on,following a recent mis-navigation in the Western Mourne's i thought about what i could do to prevent this happening again,basically after setting off from Piere's Castle i crossed Castle bog before climbing Eagle's Southern slope,hill fog was very dense & after crossing Batt's wall several times trying to locate a geocache I mistakenly carried on without taking  a bearing.

DSCN8554 by surginor, on Flickr
I spent at least an extra hour trying to find my way bay to Hen car park,as the Western Mournes are pretty much featureless.So what have i  done  to prevent this mistake,i marked Hen carpark as a waypoint on my G.P.S as ( Esc hen) Escape Hen with it's co-ordernates,also done the same for other starting points. ( Esc Tra ) Trassey
                        (Esc Lit  ) Little
                        (Esc Ice ) Ice
                        (Esc ott ) Ott
                        (Esc blo ) Bloody
These are all marked as waypoints now,also i should have concentrated more on getting my bearning's & not the geocache.But i do think it's a good thing to mark these waypoints,they could come in useful in an emergency.

DSCN8558 by surginor, on Flickr

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Learning by our mistake's
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011 »

before i got my garmin etrex with all the maps on it i used the tomtom from the car for geocaching and planning exits routes in fog, of course it has none of the mourne tracks on it so i marked every car park, geocache. stile and summit on it (the summits were easy to do in advance as the co-ords are available online), if you at least have the summits you'll be able to work out what direction you are travelling fairly easily (in conjunction with a map), a lot of the car parks have geocaches so you can also get the co-ords for them (ott, spelga, trassey rd bridge, sandbank rd?, leitrim lodge, bloody bridge) my tomtom display was starting  to get a little crowded on the mournes  ;D
think outside, no box required

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]