Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Donegal Trip: August 19, 2011 - August 21, 2011
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Donegal - 19th - 21st August 2011 (Friday to Sunday)  (Read 26054 times)

simon

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
    • Northern Focus
Re: Donegal Aug 11
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011 »

Errigal is great if you have a clear day and can enjoy the views, but if you do a straight up-and-down then it doesn't take very long. I'd recommend that you start by walking up Mackoght (which is often known incorrectly as Little/Wee Errigal). You get cracking views of the other hills (including Errigal). The summit ridge on Errigal is wee buns.

Errigal via Mackoght

There's lots of other walking in the area too!

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011 »

So Everyone ok with the 20-21st and Sleepyhollow?
No one goes inside to clear their head

simon

• Top Poster
    • Northern Focus
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011 »

Got to say I'm tempted to join you ... if I can persuade someone to join me in my tent ... and no, that's not a proposition! (I've already got someone lined up)  ;D

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011 »

Hmmm, maybe!  Just ordered a new tent, so it needs some outings!

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011 »

Right

I have had a reply from Sleepyhollow. They are happy for us to use the site and they have said that the will put us around the campfire aswell.

We need to settle the people going, the dates and how many tents. ASAP as they need the info as it may be busy in August.

Really looking forward to this.

Please reply ASAP.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011 »

I wont know until later in July I'm afraid. Is the date now the 20-21st? If so can the thread title be changed.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011 »

Those dates suit me although its likely I'll only be camping sat night as I hope to visit friends in the area fri night. (1 tent)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011 by LandyLiam »
think outside, no box required

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011 »

I'm a definate for the 20-21st... One tent thks  ;D
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

I really enjoyed myself over the weekend and was thining of doing the same thing one weekend in August in Donegal.

My thought would be to travel on friday evening. Camp friday night, do a activity on saturday, BBQ and fire pit Saturday night travel back sunday.

Going by the original post i.e. "Travelling on Friday, camping Friday and Saturday Night" I have amended the thread title accordingly.

Provisional dates are therefore Friday 19th - Sunday 21st August 2011

As LennyJ has already said, please reply ASAP with confirmation that you will be joining us for the NI-WILD Errigal Experience.

8)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011 by Dowser »
See the View

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK

I really enjoyed myself over the weekend and was thining of doing the same thing one weekend in August in Donegal.

My thought would be to travel on friday evening. Camp friday night, do a activity on saturday, BBQ and fire pit Saturday night travel back sunday.

Going by the original post i.e. "Travelling on Friday, camping Friday and Saturday Night" I have amended the thread title accordingly.

Provisional dates are therefore Friday 19th - Sunday 21st August 2011

As LennyJ has already said, please reply ASAP with confirmation that you will be joining us for the NI-WILD Errigal Experience.

8)

Thanks.

PS I like your new avatar

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

PS I like your new avatar

Here's the full size version for full effect  :D

See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

Two things that spring to mind:

How much does Sleepy Hollow cost for two nights?  Only reason I ask is because I looked into this before and I reckon for similar money we could hire a cottage/barn for the weekend.  Last time I checked you could get a place like this for around £30 each for the weekend.  Of course it all depends on numbers, and before the accusations come flying I haven't gone soft and am more than happy to give my Quechua pop-up tent another outing :P :D

Second thing is I would be half tempted to take the opportunity to do the Glover Highlander walk.  I'd talked about it before and this sounds a prime opportunity.  If I was going to do it I'd probably give it a blast over two days, so head to Donegal on the Friday and stay overnight then tackle the Glover over Saturday/Sunday with a wild camp on the Saturday night.  Would all depend on getting somewhere to leave the cars (perhaps Sleepy Hollow would allow us if we were staying there the first night?) and being able to get back to the cars on Sunday.  Perhaps we could organise two walks like we've done before; a single day trip up Errigal and a two day trip along the Glover.

Not trying to meddle with plans or anything like that, just throwing a couple of ideas out on the table for discussion.  Planning something like this is nearly as much fun as actually doing it :)  Either way, no matter what we end up doing I'm pretty certain I will be along for this!

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK

I really want to do Errigal as it is on my todo list. (Think its on others as well).

What we could do is as it is a small mountain compaired to what we al ready do is include some walking to it or around it and make a day of it like simon said.

Sure if you want to go and do the Glover Highland you can but I was personelly not looking for a wild camp more of what we did last weekend.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

Nice spanner thrown in Suspect but I like it  ;D

The idea of Muckish to Errigal along the Glover Highlander Walk seriously appeals to me!!!

I know we had great fun at the Bloody Bridge Family Camp but I really really do love wild camping/bivvying and never feel settled in a tent.

The route card for Muckish to Errigal can be found here: http://www.simonstewart.ie/Glover/profile.htm

If I was doing this I would like to head down early on the Friday and get Muckish out of the way followed by a wild bivvy.  That would leave Saturday and Sunday to squeeze in a few summits and another wild camp before conquering Errigal.

I feel another Kerry coming on lol

8)
See the View

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"

I would be up for this one, I will have to check with work, but stick me down as a possible!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]