Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Mourne Way Overnighter: October 23, 2010 - October 24, 2010
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Mourne Way Overnighter - Sat 23rd October  (Read 32535 times)

Sawyer

• Newbie Poster
    • NI Outdoor blog
Re: Mourne Way Overnighter - Sat 23rd October
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010 »

Good chance I can make this now guys. I'll have to head off extremely early the next morning though. Thinking of leaving the car at Hilltown which seems a short walk from the proposed camp spot. Can't seem to se any info on bus services from Hilltown to Newcastle though ???

Also do you have a definite meet time now?

Cheers

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010 »

hi all, cheers for the lifts guts but I'm gonna have to give this a miss. Have a good one.

No worries Mr. 6, hopefully catch you on the next trip!

No way i can make the Saturday now but till hopeful for bumping into you on the Sunday

Liam, I will drop you a PM with my mobile number so you can give me a call if you get a chance to catch up with us on Sunday.

MikeD

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010 »

Not sure if I can go now, as I have to do something on Saturday....

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010 »

Good chance I can make this now guys. I'll have to head off extremely early the next morning though. Thinking of leaving the car at Hilltown which seems a short walk from the proposed camp spot. Can't seem to se any info on bus services from Hilltown to Newcastle though

Are you planning to meet us at Donard car park in Newcastle for the start of the walk on Saturday morning, camp overnight on Saturday night and then head off early Sunday morning to catch a bus from Hilltown back to Newcastle?

I had a look at the Translink network map and it looks like you need to catch the bus on route 240 to get from Hilltown to Newcastle.  Timetable is here, if you click on the tab for Sunday it looks like the earliest bus back is departing Hilltown at 11.41 and arriving Newcastle at 12.10. 

As for what time to meet at, I'd be aiming to be in Donard Car Park for 10.30am so we are hitting the trail by 11am at the latest.  If you fancy going Sawyer drop me a PM with your mobile no. and I will reply with mine just incase there is any change of plan! 

Sawyer

• Newbie Poster
    • NI Outdoor blog
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010 »

Good chance I can make this now guys. I'll have to head off extremely early the next morning though. Thinking of leaving the car at Hilltown which seems a short walk from the proposed camp spot. Can't seem to se any info on bus services from Hilltown to Newcastle though

Are you planning to meet us at Donard car park in Newcastle for the start of the walk on Saturday morning, camp overnight on Saturday night and then head off early Sunday morning to catch a bus from Hilltown back to Newcastle?

I had a look at the Translink network map and it looks like you need to catch the bus on route 240 to get from Hilltown to Newcastle.  Timetable is here, if you click on the tab for Sunday it looks like the earliest bus back is departing Hilltown at 11.41 and arriving Newcastle at 12.10. 

As for what time to meet at, I'd be aiming to be in Donard Car Park for 10.30am so we are hitting the trail by 11am at the latest.  If you fancy going Sawyer drop me a PM with your mobile no. and I will reply with mine just incase there is any change of plan! 

Thanks mate. Was actually thinking of doing it the other way round - i.e. getting the bus to Newcastle and leaving the wagon in Hilltown overnight. Just checking times now...

Thanks!

Sawyer

• Newbie Poster
    • NI Outdoor blog
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010 »

mmm no buses on Sat morning from Hilltown to N'castle by the looks of things http://www.translink.co.uk/Journey-Planner/

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010 »

mmm no buses on Sat morning from Hilltown to N'castle by the looks of things http://www.translink.co.uk/Journey-Planner/

Thats you there - http://www.translink.co.uk/Timetables/Goldline-Timetables/Goldline-Service-240-Inbound/

Click on the tab for Saturday and the earliest bus is leaving Hilltown at 10.41 and arriving in Newcastle Bus Stn. at 11.10.  If you're definitely wanting to go I could pick you up at Newcastle Bus Stn. at 11.10 and then we will all be together for the start?

Sawyer

• Newbie Poster
    • NI Outdoor blog
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010 »

Great thanks Jonny. Your bus timetable skills are much better than mine!

That'd be superb if you could life me at 11.10am. I'll pm you my mobile.

thanks again

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010 »

Your bus timetable skills are much better than mine!

I wouldn't speak too soon... I must admit I don't use public transport all that often so fingers crossed I haven't made a mistake ;)

Got your PM so will send you my number now, ta!

Sawyer

• Newbie Poster
    • NI Outdoor blog
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010 »

haha hope I don't end up in Tyneside @ 11.10am Sunday morning or something!

By the way I'm used to camping in the summer so was wondering what temp rating sleeping bag you guys tend to use this time of year. Might have to pop out and get a warmer one.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2010 »

I'll be bring a 3-Season bag. I'm tenting it as the weather looks as if it will be cold.

Matthew

Sawyer

• Newbie Poster
    • NI Outdoor blog
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2010 »

Thanks matthew. Do you usually just go with the tarp option?

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2010 »

I'll be bringing my Alpkit PD400 sleeping bag which is rated to -4C.  A 3 season sleeping bag should do grand, but you can always up the temperature rating by either picking up a sleeping bag liner or wearing an insulating layer whilst in the sleeping bag such as a fleece or down vest.

Looks like I will be going for the tent option as Kat and I will be sharing and can split the weight.  I was tempted to bivvy on this one, but weather looks a bit changable and I'm not a big fan of the tarp.  Are you planning on tarping Sawyer?

Sawyer

• Newbie Poster
    • NI Outdoor blog
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2010 »

I'll be bringing my Alpkit PD400 sleeping bag which is rated to -4C.  A 3 season sleeping bag should do grand, but you can always up the temperature rating by either picking up a sleeping bag liner or wearing an insulating layer whilst in the sleeping bag such as a fleece or down vest.

Looks like I will be going for the tent option as Kat and I will be sharing and can split the weight.  I was tempted to bivvy on this one, but weather looks a bit changable and I'm not a big fan of the tarp.  Are you planning on tarping Sawyer?

I haven't actually tarped before so was keen to see it in action, but looks like everyone is in a tent this trip. Just on my way to Holywood to check out their bags.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2010 »

I haven't actually tarped before so was keen to see it in action, but looks like everyone is in a tent this trip. Just on my way to Holywood to check out their bags.

Are you from Bangor?  If so then don't forget Surf Mountain on Main St. or even TK Maxx.  Think Surf Mtn. do some of the Vango synthetic bags which seem good value.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]