Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mourne Seven Sevens - 2nd Aug 2014  (Read 23326 times)

kingsley

• Newbie Poster
Re: Mourne Seven Sevens - 2nd Aug 2014
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014 »

I am planning on trying this.  I am a wide load who will be aiming to just complete the bloody thing - I don't care at all about my time!!!

I have walked various sections of it but never the full thing.  I have done the trek along the Ben Crom river in both directions (when deciding which was was best way round to do the course).  If you do it the way round so that you end up heading from Ben Crom to Meelbeg then finding the paths is obvioulsy very easy, but I have to say walking up that valley really pissed me off :-)  Walking down it is much easier, but finding the path takes a while.  There is a path that appears somewhere halfway up Meelbeg that you can follow down to the river, and then when I did it I actually followed a path on the right hand side of the river whcih then crossed over to the left somewhere further down.  That may sound complicated but basically as long as you hit the river you will find a good path.

LandyLiam - that map is good, is it from GPS when you actually walked that?  As for where to cut off for the dam..... last weekend we were walking this route and asked a guy we met who runs the route..... he said you follow the path by the river down until you get to a point where you are directly between the top of Doan and the first crag you can see on the left of Binnian (it looks like a clump of rock with a gap in the middle).  Again I am useless at explaining, but its actually a very handy way of working out where to go (and this is all the explanation I had last weekend and worked it out OK when you see the actual trerrain in front of you - it was a clear day obvioulsy :-).  You end up on a very good path that leads you all the way down to the dam.  Also I noticed at one point someone has piled up a few white rocks that sort of marks out that section of path :-)
Don't bother reading the small print

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014 »

Good on you for having a go, sure if things get too tough you can always skip out Binnian quite easily. The map I posted is mainly from my gps, the bit down from Meelbeg summit was estimated though, from the river onwards was my actual track. Good tip on where to leave the river, just be wary about following someone, I have led a few people the wrong way before  8)
think outside, no box required

seanbranagh

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014 »

Guys, Thank's again for even more detail.
I am going to be giving the 7's another go either tomorrow or Saturday and I just got that Viewranger app for my phone to record so hopefully I find the right track this time..

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014 »

Well tomorrow's the big day, weather looking ok for the morning, possibly cloudy which could make the navigation tricky in places, afternoon could be wet with wind picking up :( , I might just try for the 6 of them  8)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014 »

Looks like the forecast was a bit off  ::) and a heavy rain warning has now been issued, think i'll stay at home today

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014 »

So did anyone have a go?

kingsley

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014 »

Yep I did it. Seemed a bit mad starting off as I knew it would be raining all day, but did it with a few others and they all wanted to go ahead anyway.  Totally soaked but ended up being a better day than expected :-) Cheated by landing in with another group getting between meelbeg and Ben crom - it was really misty but they seemed very confident and were happy to adopt us for a bit :-)
Don't bother reading the small print

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014 »

Well done Kingsley, I'd say you were ready for a pint and some dry socks by the end of it!

How'd you find the walk?
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]