Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Mourne Seven Sevens: August 04, 2012
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Mourne Seven Sevens - Sat 4th Aug 2012  (Read 33784 times)

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
Re: Mourne Seven Sevens - Sat 4th Aug 2012
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012 »

There appears to be two events on the same day using the same Marshalls?

http://www.nimra.org.uk/events/2012/8/4/seven_sevens/ This event is for running and its on a set route.

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012 »

We're planning to walk the full wall again on this date so might bump into yous all at some stage.
What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

... from 'Inversnaid' by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012 »

There appears to be two events on the same day using the same Marshalls?

http://www.nimra.org.uk/events/2012/8/4/seven_sevens/ This event is for running and its on a set route.

Aye, turns out the runners all start together at 10am and have to follow the order of summits set.
Downloadable entry form shows only the following as essentials:

Boots or fell shoes
Whistle
1:25000 Mourne Map
Compass
Waterproof coat with hood, or waterproof coat with separate hood/hat

Food & water are participant's responsibility. I'll just take a buff and a really light cycling waterproof that'll fit on the waistpack. Was worried overtrousers would be needed, which would necessitate a backpack...etc.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012 »

What is the climb from Ben crom up to Slieve Meelbeg like? Is it deep heather or is there a worn path or the like? That's the Only part I am not familiar with the rest should be fine. Still not sure if I should be doing this having not been running but will see closer to the time.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012 »

I'm not sure. Last time I was that way I came over from Doan and it was a mix of grass and heather that you could pick your way through. Time before was a few years ago doing MMM. There's a path goes up from the dam SW and contours round to the river... we followed that to get to the checkpoint then followed the river up. It was a very wet weekend and I remember it being a slog, pretty boggy higher up. One of the previous 77s threads on here LandyLiam put up a wee diagram showing the rough place of the contour path, but also showing that most of the runners in 77s go straight up from the dam to 390m before contouring to the river. There could be a rough trail but it's one of those areas, you could be 5ft off it and not see it! 

Hopefully be able to see where faster people are going when I'm still up on Binnian  ;D

What is the climb from Ben crom up to Slieve Meelbeg like? Is it deep heather or is there a worn path or the like? That's the Only part I am not familiar with the rest should be fine. Still not sure if I should be doing this having not been running but will see closer to the time.
Craig
-----------------------

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012 »

I have a Garmin route from a competitor who done it in 4hours something but it's hard to make out the terrain on the airel view. His heads up and across towards the river then follows it up but it looks like there is a ridge above it. Might be too steep initially to get onto it though. 

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012 »

Current forecast is for thundery showers on Saturday. I'm wondering about safety if the thunder and lightning comes on?  :-\
What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

... from 'Inversnaid' by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012 »

I have a Garmin route from a competitor who done it in 4hours something but it's hard to make out the terrain on the airel view. His heads up and across towards the river then follows it up but it looks like there is a ridge above it. Might be too steep initially to get onto it though.

Couldn't send that to me? I'm sure I'll be following the crowd most of the day, but there's one or two places would be good to have an idea incase the weather is bad.
Craig
-----------------------

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012 »

Would love to see that Garmin Route myself. Really amazed with how quick some people can get around the hills.

Has anyone any idea what the average time is to do the 7 7's? Was thinking about doing it but still sore from a walk around the Mourne Wall at the weekend so may give it a miss.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012 »

Previous results can be downloaded (not a great spreadsheet) from the Spartan Redsox website.

Most runners between 4-6hrs, walkers between 7-12hrs (some up to 14hrs... one 5.5... think you should have been running dude!)

I had 6hrs in my head for the run, but it appears I'll be finished earlier than expected if I can finish mid-pack!
Craig
-----------------------

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012 »

6hrs is very impressive, I'm assuming it's a case of walk the uphill parts and run the downhills? Haven't run on the Mournes before but after my walk at the weekend, I was reminded just how steep and rocky some of the descents are - I'd imagine loads of fun and quite a challenge to run!

Mind me asking what you bring as regards water and food for a run like that?

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012 »

I think march the uphills, run anything levelish, and see how crazy you feel on the descents! It's been a while since I ran the steeper parts of the Mournes so I may not have it in me. Bit of dryness would make it all somewhat easier, but that's not likely this summer  ::)

Water is a problem as you stay high all day. There is the pipe on Commedagh but the quickest route doesn't go near it so no refill until Ben Crom area, then maybe some of the streams across the Brandy Pad/Glen River on the way back. I'll have a 850ml bottle but you could go through that in an hour if it is hot so lots of pre-hydration and gulp a bit at each refill opportunity.
I'll just eat a gel every 30mins and put High5 4:1 powder in my bottle. It's only about 300kcal/hr, but about the most you could take, even though you could burn up to 1000kcal/hr doing this kind of activity!
For a 5hr run, that's still 10gels and 4 packets of powder to carry in the waistbelt + phone, whistle, waterproof. Map & compass in hand.
Craig
-----------------------

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012 »

I haven't done the 7 7's but I done the coast to coast which finished with a run from rostrevor to Newcastle taking in the mournes and the brandypad. I had a hydration pack on for the duration and for food I had a mix of sandwiches, bread with nutella, nuts and raisens and gels for if I got desperate.

You really have to work out what works for you and how much you will need. No point carrying stuff you don't need.

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012 »

Myself and Mourneman will be at some point on the 7 7's spectating. I'll have a bag full of energy gels, water and Jelly Beans. I'll post where we'll be when I've spoken to Mourneman. If anyone has any requests (plasters, painkillers, etc) shout on here and I'll see what I can do... If you ask for a beer and a bacon buttie to be waiting on your arrival at the top of Donard you may be dissapointed tho!
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012 »

I heard Mourneman dragged a keg of beer up their especially for the Runners  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]