Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Mourne Seven Sevens: August 04, 2012
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Mourne Seven Sevens - Sat 4th Aug 2012  (Read 33783 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Mourne Seven Sevens - Sat 4th Aug 2012
« on: July 23, 2012 »

Thanks to Sean for reminding me that this pinnacle event in the Mournes is less than 2 weeks away.

Here's the details

http://www.spartanredsox.co.uk/mourne-seven-sevens-challenge.html

so who else is up for this 18 miles slog over 9 mountains (don't forget to add beg & cove!) with over 2500 metres of ascent? (thats a meter for every forum post i've made!) shall we get a wee group to start together and then break into smaller groups depending on pace? or is anyone going for the solo run?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012 by admin »
think outside, no box required

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
Re: Mourne Seven Sevens - Sat 4th Aug 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012 »

If I was doing it I'd be running it. Trying to think which way to do it though!

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012 »

Not that I'am doing it but if I was this would be my route,

1 .Glen river,ice house,black stairs,donard sumit
 2.donard sumit,saddle,commedagh summit,drop down onto brandy pad bypassing castles.
3.brandy pad hares gap,contour round bernagh,then summit it,
4 vear off bearnagh summit to less steep ground,meelmore,meelbeg keepintothe left of the wall where the better path is.
5.descending melbeg & along valey keeping to the river trek with Doan to the right & Ben crom to the left.
6.crossing between dams ascending binnian,then back down the north tore & up Lamagan

But that's just a plan,not that i'am doing it :)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012 »

I think the runnners tend to go clockwise, maybe the descents are more gradual that way, certainly Bearnagh is. The traditional walkers route is as John described, although most stick to the path up Donard rather than do the black stairs (no point in getting your feet soaked at the start of the day  ;) )

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012 »

I'm off that day and fancy it yeah !  :-[
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D HMMMMMMM
I'm off that day and fancy it yeah !  :-[

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012 »

I've a feeling it may be painful and there'll be moments of weakness and doubt. However I also know that when I cross that finish line I'll feel like I've just won the lottery  ;)
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012 »

I'm planning on doing it with me old mucker Rumblebum.

I'll be doing the tried and tested route, definately getting Donard out of the way first.  I think it would destroy me to think I had to finish on it.  I like the thoughts of getting to the top of Lamagan and thinking the worst is over.

I had a bit of a run-through a couple of weeks ago.  I started in Donard Park and went to the Saddle>Commedagh>Brandy Pad>Bearnagh>Meelmore>Meelbeg>Ben Crom Res>Lamagan>Cove>Beg>Saddle>Donard Park.  I left off the two double backing tops just to save time.

It was a fair days walking but gave a good flavour for the walk.  It felt pretty good most of the way, I had to dig deep to get up Lamagan but then you always do.  I contoured Cove Mountain for the most part.  Beg is a bit of a sting in the tail for tired legs and a tired mind.

I have no thoughts of trying to aim for a time, completion will be a sufficient reward.  Well that and a pint.  It isn't as if I have enough time to get out training as such. 

The walk-through helped ease my mind a little.  I suppose I am a little concerned about something hitting me from left-field like a bad case of cramping-up.  I have a friend who was recently doing the 3 peaks, which was well within his abilities but he got bad leg cramps and could barely stand on his second peak.  Someone who came to his aid asked him "haven't you taken magnesium to prevent cramp?"  I must admit I haven't ever heard of that.

Has anyone got any other helpful info about dos and don'ts for an endurance event?

I plan to stop for no more than a few minutes at any one time, snacking all day rather than taking a typical lunch break.  And of course lots of drinking water.  I'm thinking of taking enough water to get to Ben Crom Res, then filling up with enough to see me to the end.  Aren't the marshalls always dishing it out there in a bucket-on-a-rope-stylee?

I'm interested in other thoughts or experiences.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012 »

I'm thinking of taking enough water to get to Ben Crom Res, then filling up with enough to see me to the end.  Aren't the marshalls always dishing it out there in a bucket-on-a-rope-stylee?

i didn't notice that last year, but then again, the midges were firece down at the damn and i didn't want to hang about, one of my big errors last year was too little water

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012 »

i can carry water & food for anybody in NI-WILD to a chosen meeting point :P

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012 »

i can carry water & food for anybody in NI-WILD to a chosen meeting point :P

Good lad John, could you meet me in Belfast about 1 today, I forgot my lunch! Lol  ;D

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012 »

Joking aside, good luck and safe trip to all taking part!

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012 »

Can I tag along with any NI Wilders? Not sure of the route / format of the 7/7's  ???

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012 »

@Spud -  ;D

@whoRya - when you sweat, you lose both water and salts like sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium. For short events a splash of water is ok, or moderate days where you have time for proper meals which probably have salts in them. Long endurance events you'll want to replace those salts/electrolytes along with your water. The added advantages are that the water absorbs a bit quicker so it doesn't slosh as much in you, and if you take too much you'll just need to pee (drinking too much water on it's own can lead to dangerous brain swelling... a bigger health problem with slower marathon runners than dehydration)!
Old school, people used to take salt tablets, or mix salt with some squash. Nowadays you can easily pick up a tube of electolyte tablets in most outdoor shops. High5 'Zero' and Nuun are common brands with lots of nice flavours containing the best mix of all the electrolytes. Around £6 a tube for 15-20 tablets, just pop one in your water bottle each fill. Alternatively some of the carb, or 4:1 powders give you fuel as well as the electrolytes.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012 »

I'm doing this too! Going to run. Need to decide on route, but also unsure about the kit requirements... ideally as little as possible. I imagine most of the runners take hardly the shirt on their back, but the info online seems a bit extensive. Anyone any experience of this? I don't want to be turned away on the line!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]