Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Chickens  (Read 9653 times)

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
Chickens
« on: June 05, 2009 »

Ok so I paddled from Ballintoy to Ballycastle last night, got home and found 4 new creatures living in my house- 4 chicks.
I had talked about getting some to my sister however i hadnt planned of getting any until I had my life sorted a bit.  So my sis has sodded off to the city leaving me "baby" sitting.

Has anyone any tips/ advice as I havent a clue what i am supposed to do with them!
Fun is not a straight line

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
Re: Chickens
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009 »

Pluck them, invite friends over and have a BBQ????? Only kidding (honestly) wouldnt have a clue how to look after fowl, google "babysitting chicks" and see wot comes up, crap suggestion but a suggestion all the same  ;D

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009 »

lol its more than i am working on atm!!  If they turn out to be boys there will be a cooking session once i have them fattened up a bit, cant have an eviction notice being served due to too much crowing

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009 »

You need to feed them on kebabs and beer, with some hot chilli sause as well. Ohh not, that's for you.
Go to an Agri shop and ask for some chicken feed. they'll sort you out with some advice as well.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009 »

Sounds great. If they are, umm, suitable for egg laying you're elected and we're all coming for breakfast. If no eggs then I'm afraid we're all coming for BBQ  :P

I'd agree with Ginger - head off to your local farm shop or farm supplier, smile sweetly and ask for some advice.

Michelle

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009 »

My gran has now taken over - a bag of "chick mash" was found on my doorstep this morning.  I put a lamp on them last night before bed and they all fell alseep!! there quite cute.  No eggs for 4 -5 months gran says.  Imagine me asking for advice and having a guru in family!!  Never under estimate the olds, gran had chickens and farmed during war time so i think i will have to call down later for some tips and buns :)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]