Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: New Forestry Byelaws - FINES FOR BEING IN A FOREST AFTER DARK - Please read  (Read 50629 times)

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr

Got an email there from Jan:

Dear Mr Patenall

Thank you for responding to our consultation on the draft Forestry Land Byelaws. We are considering your comments and will respond in detail in due course.

Regards

Jan Davidson
Policy and Legislation
Forest Service
' 028 905 24116
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

At least they're not just filing the requests in the bin!

Got an email there from Jan:

Dear Mr Patenall

Thank you for responding to our consultation on the draft Forestry Land Byelaws. We are considering your comments and will respond in detail in due course.

Regards

Jan Davidson
Policy and Legislation
Forest Service
' 028 905 24116

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr

That is true. All respect for replying to an email.

Saying email is a way to ignore people politely.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

preacherman

• Newbie Poster
    • Irish Bushcraft Club

Well folks they are listening ... I just recieved a reply from Jan Davidson ... :)

Dear Mr Mullen

Thank you for responding to our consultation on the draft Forestry Land Byelaws. Your views, together with comments from other stakeholders, will be taken into account in the development of the new Byelaws.

Regards

Jan Davidson
Policy and Legislation
Forest Service

Keep the emails rolling in ... it can make a difference

Andrew

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

Put a blog post together on the subject to try and spread the word a bit, so feel free to pass it on so we can try and get as many replies to the consultation as possible:

http://www.jonpatterson.co.uk/2011/curfews-for-ni-forests/

I've also put a link to a Word document with the suggested response letter pre-formatted, so it's easier than ever to add your comments and make your response.  Regardless of the outcome I for one will at least feel happier knowing I've made my feelings on the subject known, and I truly hope that our collective voices will at least cause some consideration to be given to the subject.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

Just a quick update.  I was contacted today by the producer of Good Morning Ulster on BBC Radio Ulster.  It looks like they are going to run the story and will be speaking to Peter Jack, a member of Triangle Triathlon Club, along with a representative from the Forest Service.  I assume this is going to be on tomorrows show, so will be worth tuning in or catching it on iPlayer.

Disclaimer: Don't blame me if you get up at 6.30am to listen in and for whatever reason the story doesn't run tomorrow ;)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

This is on right now.

Just a quick update.  I was contacted today by the producer of Good Morning Ulster on BBC Radio Ulster.  It looks like they are going to run the story and will be speaking to Peter Jack, a member of Triangle Triathlon Club, along with a representative from the Forest Service.  I assume this is going to be on tomorrows show, so will be worth tuning in or catching it on iPlayer.

Disclaimer: Don't blame me if you get up at 6.30am to listen in and for whatever reason the story doesn't run tomorrow ;)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

Was just listening to it there.  I think Peter Jack was an excellent spokesperson and put across views that will be widely supported by the public.  I think that's what needs to be drilled home here, that this doesn't just affect those interested in niche sports but actually affects pretty much anyone who steps foot in a forest be it young/old/family whoever.  Very glad to see the piece got a good time slot right around the morning commute/school run time.  Now it will be interesting to see what the Forest Service decides to do with all the responses they have gathered from their consultation...

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Did they mention the mountain biking issue at all?

Was just listening to it there.  I think Peter Jack was an excellent spokesperson and put across views that will be widely supported by the public.  I think that's what needs to be drilled home here, that this doesn't just affect those interested in niche sports but actually affects pretty much anyone who steps foot in a forest be it young/old/family whoever.  Very glad to see the piece got a good time slot right around the morning commute/school run time.  Now it will be interesting to see what the Forest Service decides to do with all the responses they have gathered from their consultation...

Paul72

• Sr. Poster

I heard it too, I don't think mountain biking was mentioned specifically though.  I agree that Peter Jack spoke well on the issue, a bit repetitive at times but certainly got the issue across and I applaud him for that.  The Forest Service representative didn't seem to speak well at all and I think was at a loss for words at times when grilled by the presenter.

The consultation period ends today apparently so I'll be getting my email fired off to get my views across.
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

I think he was at a loss for words because he was defending something pretty indefensible. Regardless of whether this passes or not I still think we should campaign for a relaxing of the byelaws. I'm sick of being given lists of perfectly reasonable things that I can't do, like go have a quick bivvy in a forest when I'm doing absolutely no harm.

I heard it too, I don't think mountain biking was mentioned specifically though.  I agree that Peter Jack spoke well on the issue, a bit repetitive at times but certainly got the issue across and I applaud him for that.  The Forest Service representative didn't seem to speak well at all and I think was at a loss for words at times when grilled by the presenter.

The consultation period ends today apparently so I'll be getting my email fired off to get my views across.

Samm

• Top Poster

Did the Forest Service representative give any reasons why they want to implement this bylaw?

Paul72

• Sr. Poster

Agreed, it's very unfair and whilst I understand that they might want to keep out undesirable 'users' of the forests for people like us we should be allowed.  It's also bad for business as well, both in terms of the tourist trade and the outdoor shops. How is this helping the economic recovery?!  Maybe if there was some sort of permit for groups like us it would help?

In any case I've now sent my objections to Jan Davidson, Michelle O'Neill and my MLA.

Let's see what the response is!

Paul72

• Sr. Poster

Did the Forest Service representative give any reasons why they want to implement this bylaw?

One argument put forward was for the safety of people using the forest with the example of people who got into trouble using the lake at Castlewellan a few years ago.  Understandable, yes but if you're a responsible user why should you be punished?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]