Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Slieve Meelbeg summit camp - Sat 16/03/13  (Read 18262 times)

Rumblebum

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
Re: Slieve Meelbeg summit camp - Sat 16/03/13
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013 »

Hi there
I might be able to join you on meelbeg.

I was there yesterday and there was a lot of snow heaped against the wall - expect a cool night! The mournes looked great with a good dusting of snow everywhere.
The summit is quite rocky so it will be difficult to pitch tents.

Fred

Good man Fred, we can probably collect you on the way through again.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

Fred

• Top Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013 »

Thanks rumblebum, thats great.
Its probable that the snow will remain on the summits for a few days which will be a bit of a treat.

fred
Theres nothing like an Irish summer...
...Except an Irish winter

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013 »

Ok, planning to get down there for about 6:15pm, to get up there for dinner  :) 

If there are any other takers, give us a shout.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013 »

There wasn't much snow in the hills today when I was up working.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013 »

good chance they're getting a good dumping of snow right now, i might pop up to dig them out in the morning  :) prob leaving happy valley car park about 9.30am
think outside, no box required

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013 »

Yep there's loads on it now.. Staying at Greenhill tonight

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013 »

Unfortunately I hd to pull out of this camp but I'm sure it was a cracker with the snow. ::)

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013 »

We lived through the night  8)

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013 »

Good effort guys. Wish I could of made it.
No one goes inside to clear their head

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013 »

Was up round there today I saw where you had pitched, great photos

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013 »

fair play to you two for staying up there in that, I didn't make it up myself this morning, with all the snow about i thought it best i went a more popular route as i was alone, also wasn't sure which way you would come down (i would have guessed the ridge so would have missed you anyway) so did donard instead, beautiful morning, hardly a breath of wind about, and only a light breeze on the summit, i was so hot going up i ended up dropping layers til i was down to a tshirt, strange mix of groups, many were just in trainers, some people where wearing crampons!
think outside, no box required

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013 »

After a pretty grim wet day in and around Belfast the hope was that it would be snowing rather than raining up where we were heading.  Snow on the Belfast Hills and Slieve Croob on the way down gave us great encouragement.  The lower lying ground in and around the Mournes was pretty clear but glimpses through the clouds were showing the mountains to be well-coated in a brilliant white blanket of snow. 

As planned, we headed up the Happy Valley and the going was good.  Occasionally we had to pause to plan our next steps as the sound of gently flowing water gave away the secrets that lay under the untouched flat sections of fresh snow.  Knee high into one of the streams would not make for a great start to the night.  As the ground got steeper the efforts required became greater.  I was delighted that I had finally got a chance to try out my new micro-spikes.  I thought when it got to March the chance had gone!

We took a breather at the Meelmore/Meelbeg col, remarking at how there would be worse places to spend the night.  Even in the darkness the other peaks were easily picked out.  With clear skies and a full moon the view would have been stunning. 

After another half hour or so we pulled up on to the summit of Slieve Meelbeg, completing the whole walk without the need for a head torch.  With the winds picking up a little and plenty of snow clouds moving around we thought it best to get the shelter up as quick as possible.  This mountain had always threatened to be a bit of a tough one to find a good pitch on.  Tough that is on a normal day; when you can't tell what is rock and what is grass - pretty impossible.  15 mins later and I had two pegs in about a third of the way each.  Fred was having no joy either with his neat 3 peg set up.  I had another 8 pegs to try to get in.  It just wasn't going to happen tonight.  We quickly formed a consensus and beat a track back down to the col, where 15 minutes later camp was established.

The next few hours were passed chewin' the fat, supping cuppas and sizzling burgers - all with the pleasant contrast of the warm glow of flame against perfect white snow.  Turning in for me was zipping the tent up to keep the cold out, for Fred it was sticking his head under a tarp.  About 15 minutes later the silence was broken by the sound of ice axe on snow.  A quick fired off question of "What are you at?" returned the reply "Making a pillow". That brought a smile to my face.  It was a good nights sleep for me only waking a few times to the sound of snow on sil-nylon, for Fred that was snow on face.  He's one brave lad.

Unfortunately morning didn't deliver that killer-view we hoped for but it was great to wake up in soft fresh snow.  With the warm glow of porridge in us it was a pleasant dander back down the valley, weaving a bit to try to get a reception to text Liam who we thought may have taken the notion to make his way up to see us at the top.  Thankfully he had decided otherwise.

It was great to get a final proper winter camp in, here's a few pics to share.  Sorry no views.

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013 »

Looks like an Epic camp lads and really well done to the two you.

Your friends in work will all be looking at your pictures going, nutter!
Fred's pillow effort made me laugh out hard there, I'm just thinking did you carry much water or melt the snow down?

GMB

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013 »

Fantastic!!!!!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013 »

I'm just thinking did you carry much water or melt the snow down?
We only took a wee taste of water each but mostly melted snow, Fred's multi-fuel stove made swift work of it.

fair play to you two for staying up there in that, I didn't make it up myself this morning, with all the snow about i thought it best i went a more popular route as i was alone, also wasn't sure which way you would come down (i would have guessed the ridge so would have missed you anyway) so did donard instead, beautiful morning, hardly a breath of wind about, and only a light breeze on the summit, i was so hot going up i ended up dropping layers til i was down to a tshirt, strange mix of groups, many were just in trainers, some people where wearing crampons!

I'd hoped to be coming down the ridge, but after camping at the col, the thought of climbing back up to go down that way just wasn't on the tables.  An eclectic mix up Donard all right.  A group we were talking to on their way up the Happy Valley had intended to walk around the Spelga area but apparently their cars couldn't get up the Spelga Pass.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013 by whoRya »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]