Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: New axe in use  (Read 17523 times)

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
New axe in use
« on: October 29, 2009 »

I got a new axe reciently from Swedish custom axe maker "Cegga" it's a real beauty. here are some pictures.

here it is beside a Granfors "Small forest Axe" to giver some idea of size.

It didn't come with a head sheath, so I made my own.

We had permission to take down an old Scots pine. It was tough and well seasoned, but we managed to fell it without injuring ourselves or anyone else

Mouldsy having a go.

And Phil.

The 3 axes used that day.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: New axe in use
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009 »

Great photos, looks like a top day. I've been pondering a Granfors to replace my trusty B&Q axe but hadn't heard of Cegga. What sort of price and weight are their offerings?

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009 »

You  might need to sit down to hear this Jonno!. You can get a Cegga for about the same money as a Gransfors, and the Cegga is made to your own specification. The new one I got weighs about 1.5kg and cost me £55.00 delivered. Bargain of the year that was. A Granfors Scandinavian axe would have cost me £52.00 plus postage.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009 »

That's a bit of a bargain. What sort of thing do they take into consideration as far as specifications go? I thought axes were pretty standard. I'd also be after the smaller axes - something under 1kg if possible.

So do you rate Cegga above Gransfors for quality?

Paul

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009 »

Definatley not Jonno! Granfors axes are the bestest axes in the world, Gary wants you to order a cegga so he dosent have to be the only prat to have one as they are so useless!!! Only joking mate, I have used. Farts cegga and it is a nifty piece of kit and at a bargin price!!!

b0ogaloo

• Top Poster
    • Kayak Angling Ireland
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009 »

What weight would the head be on that ?

Is it more of a small felling axe than a " camp" axe ?

Andy
Banging Square Pegs into round holes since 1969

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009 »

That's a bit of a bargain. What sort of thing do they take into consideration as far as specifications go? I thought axes were pretty standard. I'd also be after the smaller axes - something under 1kg if possible.

So do you rate Cegga above Gransfors for quality?

Cegga will make the handle exactly the length you want it and will also make the head whatever weight you like. you can get him to give you a thin or thick bit (The amount and shape of metal behind cutting edge) and you can control how long the cutting edge is. Give him all this info and he will come up with a tool that pretty much matches that. He will, of course, make sure that the axe is balanced and will discuss every detail with you to make sure you don't design a monster, lol.
As for quality, the Cegga is better than the Gransfors. The head is perfectly alligned with the shaft and the wood grain in the shaft is vertical, which gives the handle strength, something that is sometimes missing in the Gransfors. Now don't get me wrong, I have 2 Gransfors axes and they are good tools, but not as well made as the Cegga.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009 by Celt_Ginger »

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009 »

What weight would the head be on that ?

Is it more of a small felling axe than a " camp" axe ?

Andy
The head is about 1kg. It's heavier than a Small forest axe for sure, but then is is intended for different jobs. The SFA still has a place, but the bigger axe just makes some jobs much easier. It splits logs very well .

Paul

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009 »

I think a lot comes down to what suits you, i have had the benefit of using garys smaller cegga and using my sfa, i prefer my sfa but when it comes to tree felling his larger cegga certainly beats the sfa. As gary says however is is very benificial to be able to design the axe and have it made to your design. The weight and balance of the cegga in my opinion easily beats other large felling axes i have used and even after felling a seasoned pine tree the blade was still extremely sharp.

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009 »

I ordered the sfa still hasn't arrived yet and that was over 2 weeks ago with greenman bushcraft but everything I have read about it gives good reviews, like the idea of givin my own specs but think the sfa is good place to start

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]