Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Wild Camping in Northern Ireland  (Read 42788 times)

ModBot

• Global Moderator
  • Newbie Poster
Wild Camping in Northern Ireland
« on: May 15, 2009 »

I see lots of info on the net about England and Scotland about their rules for wild camping and fires but very little for Northern Ireland. Does anyone have any useful information? I know that all NI forestry commision land has the no camping, no fires, no fun rules which is a shame but what about other areas?

I love to camp but without an open fire I think most of the magic is gone.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
Re: Wild Camping in Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009 »

As I understand it, we have No right to roam in NI. All wild camping, fires etc are with the permission of the land owner only.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009 »

As I understand it, we have No right to roam in NI. All wild camping, fires etc are with the permission of the land owner only.

It really is poor how restricted life is these days. The government wont be happy until we all spend our free time sitting at home in front of the TV. It is a shame though that so many idiots don't take care of the countryside and that their unsafe fires and littering ruin it for everyone else.

Mouldsy

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009 »

It's a shame alright mate, It only take's one person to ruin it for everybody.
All the goverment want you to do is work, pay taxes and work some more  they don't want you to have fun.

Lee B

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009 »

I noticed on my maps of Woodburn, that just NE of the North Woodburn Forest, there's a small area marked "Commons".  Which seems very interesting.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009 »

I noticed on my maps of Woodburn, that just NE of the North Woodburn Forest, there's a small area marked "Commons".  Which seems very interesting.

Woodburn is one of the places I've heard you can wild camp. I don't think you're officially allowed to but apparently you can sneak off to the more remote parts for some peace and quiet.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009 »

It is so sad we cant just camp where we want, but if your on your own would they not give you a by ball ??  Who is it would aproch you and what would happen ??
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009 »

on more than one occasion ive camped with an open fire in some of the well known forrest parks,in a tarp bivvy with two 13 yr olds and a 15 yr old. my kids by the way. we hiked into the trees away from the nice flat mown camping grounds ,right up to higher grounds and away from joe public. we lit a fire just after dark well hidden from prying eyes and out of sight of anyone.
it was quite safe i assure you and we had a great night sharpening sticks and cooking sausages.there were a pair of buzzards flying above us near sunset which was great for the kids to experience.
i class myself as a responsible adult when im out doing my thing in the woods or wherever and personally i dont give a flying f*ck about mr and mrs middle class in their cosy caravans watching tv in a ``campsite``

sometimes its for the greater good to NOT follow the suppressive rules laid down by fools in power. so i,ll continue to think for myself and keep my OWN ethics in without being told what and where i can and cant do as i please.

dont they realise its ;) my planet anyway???

busdriver

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009 »

Hi all just an update, i don't know if its right or even usable but I have posted a small piece of info on this topic http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=629.0.

many thanks all

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]