Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Wild Camping Access - Just surfing the web came across this.  (Read 16496 times)

busdriver

• Newbie Poster

Hi all, I'm fergie and very new to this forum, so hi all first.

Now I came across this site bushcraftni when visiting bushcraftuk and am very pleased that it existed, however on my internet travels I also found these piece's of information, firstly the John Muir Trust "http://www.jmt.org/home.asp" and within this site a pdf document called, outdoor access "http://www.jmt.org/assets/john%20muir%20award/resource%20guide%20access.pdf", and that then lead me onto the "www.countrysiderecreation.com" site where I check to see if they follow the leave no trace activity and indeed they do, so lastly I then when to the ni forest service site "http://www.forestserviceni.gov.uk/index/activities.htm" and indeed they also enforce the leave no trace activity.

So after reading  my wasted nights surfing I not sure but I think we can camp within the forest's service land along as we abide with the relevant leave no trace activity, I'm thinking it is along of the lines as scotland land reform act in 2004, e.g allowing the joe public use of land.

so with my first post in place please be kind, but what do you all think am I thinking in a straight line or am I just nuts.

thanks all and very nice to meet you.

cheers fergie
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009 by admin »

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: just surfing the web came across this.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009 »

I really think it is a bit of a grey area. I'd guess that on Forestry Service land they would likely turn a blind eye to campers that are well hidden in a forest, making no noise and with no fire. I've been tempted to attempt to contact a few rangers to see what would likely happen if you were wild camping but with only a hobo stove or other sort of enclosed fire that was not on the ground. I've also pondered as to exactly how noticeable a small fire for cooking in a sizeable forest in a breeze would actually be from a mile or two away.

Of course, if you have found a way that we can legitimately camp in Northern Irelands forests then we'll carry you round Belfast in a sedan chair like you're the second freakin' coming (beacuse we love wild camping  ::))!

666_pack

• Hero Poster

hi busdriver welcome to the rabble ;D
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog

It's not so wild if its actually legal to do it  ;)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

A fair technical point. Personally I have absolutely no problem flauting the law for this sort of thing. I'm a responsible wild camper and I'd like to think there was no way for anyone to even know I was there after an overnighter - well, apart from the incriminating photos of course  8)

Paul

Hi Fergie, im sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, the only places the forestry service will allow camping is at the sites mentioned on their website where they have places for camping and caravaning. I have been down this road when trying to obtain permission for bushcrafting for the NIBA in forestry service run woods around NI. I was told they do not allow camping or bushcrafting in any of their forests, nor do they allow fires of any sort but they said they would let me know if this changed in the future. It is a bloody shame as there are so many about the province. If you are caught cutting down trees in an area of forestry service land you can be prosecuted for criminal damage.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009 by Paul »

Hunter

• Top Poster

Hello and welcome to u lad ;D
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

chris

• Hero Poster

A fair technical point. Personally I have absolutely no problem flauting the law for this sort of thing. I'm a responsible wild camper and I'd like to think there was no way for anyone to even know I was there after an overnighter - well, apart from the incriminating photos of course  8)

I dont think any of us on here do! In fact in my entire life I've only meet one person who wouldn't camp unless it was an actual designated leagal campsite!

666_pack

• Hero Poster

I guess it's like everything as long as you don't take the piss, act like an adult and clean up after yourself where's the harm?
Can't for the life of me remember where I read it but it went something like "it's easier to apologise than get permission".
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

busdriver

• Newbie Poster

Hi and yes I agree, wild camping the term itself is self explanatory, wild and whom here dosen't enjoy it a little bit better when the rules bend a bit,  camped out a bit in islandmagee caves, enjoyed that on a cold nov night, and a few times in knockagh woods (woodburn dams) and well is there is tollymore forest park in my caravan (no satellite reception there) so I agree with you sir, the best times are without running water, gas heating and without the wife, and therefore mate wild is more that just a term we don't wanna lose.

thanks all of the input lads and lassies.

cheers fergie

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]