Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Time to mix in some running  (Read 4306 times)

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
Time to mix in some running
« on: March 05, 2012 »

So given that I can only usually get out hillwalking once a week or so, I've decided to keep the momentum going and improve my fitness that I should mix in some running.

I've always been very flat footed, and this hasn't bothered me with hillwalking, big boots up over the ankle seem to keep that in check nicely - but I decided if I'm going to be running I'll need something that supports my feet properly.

Went to Up and Running and got some gait analysis done - I cringed when I saw the video, the overpronation looked like my legs were made of noodle, really surprised at the amount of curving in the ankle.

Got another video done in my chosen trainers - much straighter - well pleased with that.

£100 (ouch!) but worth it for avoiding what was probably an injury waiting to happen once I take up the running.

To make things even better, instead of the Baselayer amazon were meant to send me, they sent me a craghoppers zip up top perfect for running in - I think I'll be keeping it!

Ed
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
Re: Time to mix in some running
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012 »

Hey Ed, sort of in the same boat myself: can only get up about once a week and beginning to get fit again by running during the week. There's some nice scenery in Belfast though: the Lagan Towpath, Belvior Forest and Cavehill make for good wee runs. Also they've opened up Divis and Black Mountain there: there's paths all the way to the top from the car park (sorry if you know all this already!)

Keep 'er lit!

;)
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
Re: Time to mix in some running
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012 »

Hey Ed, sort of in the same boat myself: can only get up about once a week and beginning to get fit again by running during the week. There's some nice scenery in Belfast though: the Lagan Towpath, Belvior Forest and Cavehill make for good wee runs. Also they've opened up Divis and Black Mountain there: there's paths all the way to the top from the car park (sorry if you know all this already!)

Keep 'er lit!

;)

The towpath is mega convenient for me, my work is on east bridge st - so I'll keep my running gear in here and belt up the towpath for a bit, then back into work :)

When I was just getting started into improving my fitness I actually walked the towpath every day - just to get the legs warmed up, it was a good introduction before I moved onto the hills.

In an ideal world I'd be in the hills every day

Ed
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]