Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: ideal outdoor camera  (Read 5789 times)

lowa

• Jr. Poster
ideal outdoor camera
« on: March 04, 2011 »

Hi all, what is the best camera for personal use in outdoor activities, Im looking at the HD Go Pro but im getting mixed messages about it, I had a waterproof (bulls**t) Pentax w30 camera which was a great wee camera until i discovered it wasnt waterproof, so im looking for another camera, ne help would b great

Lowa

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: ideal outdoor camera
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011 »

the olympus tough range look nice

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/29_24157.htm

think outside, no box required

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011 »

I have completely fallen in love with the Lumix LX5.  Ok, it has to be treated like a new born baby when outdoors because it's not shockproof or waterproof but it is very light, very compact, packed to the gills with features including simple switching between shots taken 1:1, 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9 format.

It really is an awesome camera for the money (Approx £315 on Amazon) and I am now convinced I can take pictures that are just as good, or better, than my DSLR Nikon D80, which is a clumpy thing to be lugging around the hills or canoeing etc.

As for shock and water resistance I am happy to sacrafice these for top quality images.  If you keep the camera in a Lowepro 20AW pouch and a resealable Tesco sandwich bad it's pretty much bomb proof.  I've had mine out in all conditions including wet caving in Fermanagh and it's still in tip top condition.  Make sure it is covered under your All Risks section of your house insurance and in an absolute worst case scenario, make a claim and pay your £50 access to get a brand new one!!!

I'm not convinced by all these, all action, rugged, waterproof to 100m cameras.  I haven't seen one yet that comes anyway close to the quality of the LX5 Compact.  If I'm out and about and discover I've got 3 or 4 blurry pictures when I upload them I'm annoyed.  I've seen lots of compacts that 90% of the pictures they pump out are blurry, over/under exposed or you miss the best shot because it takes 10 seconds to release the shutter from the time you push the button. 

Quality wins me over every time.  In 30 years time when I'm looking back at my snaps I want them to be crystal clear.

Oh... One last thing about the LX5... The HD Video recording is totally excellent, even in low light conditions.  My Sony Handycam hasn't been out of my bag since I got the LX5 and probably will never see the light of day again.

Ok... I know this sounds like I'm the top salesman for Panasonic but it is a great camera  :)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011 »

The GoPro cameras are pretty awesome, if you want to record video.  If you want to record some fast moving, high adrenaline action then they look great.

If its a stills camera you are after then I personally would have my wish list looking something like this:

Panasonic Lumix LX5 (see Dowsers comments!) (>£300)
Canon Powershot S95 (<£300)
Panasonic TZ8 (<£200)

I wouldn't worry about any waterproof/shockproof type cameras, I just do the same as Dowser and keep my kit in Lowepro bags and use ziplocks/drybags to keep them safe.

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011 »

i use my olympus u850 waterproof/shockproof camera when im kayaking, takes great underwater pics and vids too.theres no way id bring a camera that wasnt waterproof .
the new range of tough cameras looks good too with the high megapixels and excellent clarity.

if im not in the yak i,ll always have my 500d kit. i wouldnt want to be restricted to a compact.

i doubt theres a definitive answer to your search,but theres certainly some good candidates.

zeaphod

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011 »

The Nikon P6000 is a nice compromise between pocket sized and quality.
Big controls that are usable with gloves on.  Seems pretty tough, but not waterproof.
Excellent macro facility, it you like snapping the flowers.

Sample shots at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeaphod/

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011 »

I have a Kodak Playsport for Video and I takes 5MP stills as well. I took it to the caves in January and I also took it to Kilimanjaro and I works great, Had a good play with it in the pool in Arusha to and not one problem.
No one goes inside to clear their head

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]