Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First Stealth Coastal Bivvy and Seashore Forage  (Read 22702 times)

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: First Stealth Coastal Bivvy and Seashore Forage
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011 »

Again raging I missed this but the grief for missing valentines weekend would have been too much to take.

Matthew

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011 »

Brilliant!!! Wud you recommend the gas to cook with or wud u ever use the hobo
Regards
Kenbo

I definately intend to start using the hobo for cooking outdoors more often, but the downside is soot build-up on the bottom of your pots.  If you are beside a good water source, and you don't mind a bit of scrubbing it's fine, but if your travelling with limited water supplies the soot gets everywhere.

Gas is so much cleaner with little or no soot given out.  The heat is also a lot more controllable so you don't end up burning everything.

Personally I use the Primus Multifuel stove with Primus Power fuel.  Works exactly like gas but you can see exactly how much fuel you have left, instead of building up a collection of half full gas cannisters in my shed  :)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011 »

Nice one fellas!  Great effort with the seafood grub, although must say that I'm not a huge fan of shellfish and I prefer the look of the fry ;)

Good to see Sal is doing her job of guard dog well!

Scribble

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011 »

Nice write up and the food looked scrummy , those two with the torches have you any idea what they where up to  ??? I'd of crapped myself if I was there on my own

I've been thinking of doing a bivvy somewhere near mulough plenty of fire wood and no one about at night . Parking the car in Newcastle and walking along beach
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

kenbocbr

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011 »

Thanks for that, just getting started myself and cant wait to do some bivvy stuff only thing is I work weekends only off Mon-Wed!!
Kenbo :(

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011 »

Great report. I love seafood, your meal looked munch.

Edit: meant to say, are those shore crabs edible? or is a stock the only real option?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011 by sjh1 »
What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

... from 'Inversnaid' by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011 »

Edit: meant to say, are those shore crabs edible? or is a stock the only real option?

These shore crabs are perfectly edible but actually spend most of their summer being dragged out of the sea by children and kept in a brightly coloured bucket for a few minutes before being chucked back in.  That is, until they end up in my bucket!!!

There's not a great deal of meat on them.  There are some very tasty pieces in each leg segment and a little more in the claws, but that is all.  Unless your prepared to take the time and extract the tiny morsels then your better off using them whole to make a soup or stock.

To make a soup/bisque you would boil them whole for about two minutes.  The humane way to prepare shorecrab is to put them in a plastic bag in the freezer for an hour before-hand to knock them out first, but obviously if your in the great outdoors you don't always have a freezer to hand  :(

You would then make a regular type of seafood bisque with white wine, cream, onion, garlic, pepper, salt etc etc then cut the pre-boiled crabs up coursely and add them to the other ingredients and boil the whole lot for a further 10-15mins. After this you would give it a bit of a blitz with a blender and pass it through a fine sieve and viola... a big bowl of tasty shore crab soup ready to be served with some top notch bread!!!

If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011 »

These shore crabs are perfectly edible but actually spend most of their summer being dragged out of the sea by children and kept in a brightly coloured bucket for a few minutes before being chucked back in.  That is, until they end up in my bucket!!!

There's not a great deal of meat on them.  There are some very tasty pieces in each leg segment and a little more in the claws, but that is all.  Unless your prepared to take the time and extract the tiny morsels then your better off using them whole to make a soup or stock.

To make a soup/bisque you would boil them whole for about two minutes.  The humane way to prepare shorecrab is to put them in a plastic bag in the freezer for an hour before-hand to knock them out first, but obviously if your in the great outdoors you don't always have a freezer to hand  :(

You would then make a regular type of seafood bisque with white wine, cream, onion, garlic, pepper, salt etc etc then cut the pre-boiled crabs up coursely and add them to the other ingredients and boil the whole lot for a further 10-15mins. After this you would give it a bit of a blitz with a blender and pass it through a fine sieve and viola... a big bowl of tasty shore crab soup ready to be served with some top notch bread!!!

Frozen alive or boiled alive...  suppose frozen is the lesser evil! :-\  ;)

I've eaten edible crabs caught in off-shore lobster pots (these guys I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_pagurus) by simply boiling then cracking open the claws, legs etc. but these small shore crabs must be even more footery (footerier?).

Didn't kno you could eat the shore ones at all but will have to try, if only to compare. Your recipe sounds great, but I'm not much of a cook, might give it a go sometime.

What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

... from 'Inversnaid' by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013 »

first class trip indeed,quite a while ago but a great camp

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013 »

Love all the cammo jackets and tarps.....then a big bright pink plate thrown in for good measure :)
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]