Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: where to go this year for a challenge  (Read 4068 times)

johnparkes

• Newbie Poster
where to go this year for a challenge
« on: February 23, 2011 »

have walked in New Zealand, Scotland usual in Wales and for last four years in Spain
doing peaks over 3000 mts including Mulhacen, Veleta etc (lots of scree) but at a dont know where to go this year.
In SN in  Spain walked about 30 k and rise of 1000-1500 m.
but I want a new place to go.  cant spend more that 8-9 days.
  Any ideas.  give info.  Not that keen on being guided.  No nav problems as GPS used.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: where to go this year for a challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011 »

Hi John, welcome to the forum!  It sounds like you are much better travelled than I am, so I'm probably not in the best position to advise on where you might go next!

How about the Tour Mont Blanc or one of the GR routes such as the GR20 or the GR221 in Mallorca?  Or if you want something that is a bit more adventorous than long-distance walking how about trying your hand at some Via Ferrata?

johnparkes

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011 »

thanks via ferrata sounds like a rope climb. Dont mind a scramble but not keen on full climb.  Going up devils coach road in Mourne was last scramble.  Mount Blanc is a possible. Happy to exchange any other info.  Know Sierra Navada in Spain well. Some great walks from easy to hard.

MikeD

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011 »

I'm considering the gr 20, tho I would like to hear some stories about spain as id love to go there too .

I wonder if we could get a crew together for something like this.  Cheap flights, week off work, im up for it like!

johnparkes

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011 »

sorry had to go last night
read last years log Day 1-Travelled from Malaga in the worst hire car ever, no brakes, metal on metal job, just as well you don’t use them going uphill.  Overnight in the apartments of the Hotel Poqueira in Capileira. In the evening we walked down to Bubion on the road and then on a path back to Capileira.
Day 2-Walked from Capileira North along the valley to Poqueira Refuge.  Just passed the power station the path notice stated the route was closed and the river dangerous to cross.  Headed on and crossed the river ok but the path must have changed or been washed away.  Found a route but it involved a steep climb up a rock face.  Had lunch at Refuge (I need it my tank was on empty).  Walked down to Capileira but via the Hoya Portilla.  The last section was all Zigzags and a really a bore.  Each road edge had a deep ditch so going in a straight line was hard going.  Take any route that ignores the road route from the Hoya.  Covered 30K and the rise was 1050 mts.
Day 3-Took the bus from Capileira passed the Hoya Potilla and to Mirador de Trevelez.  3.5 K from Mirador to the Poqueira refuge with full kit. Headed up the Roi Mulhacen River up to Caldera refuge.  Climbed the first peak over 3000 mts, Puntal de Loma Pelada 3185 mts.  Headed up towards the North face of Mulhacen to 3200 mts.  Did not climb more because of the late afternoon but looking back we could have made it before night. Followed the road towards the Mirador then dropped down unto the back of the Poqueira refuge. (700 mts climb)
Day 4  
Headed towards the Mirador then trekked left follow the snow poles, crossed the road unto Mulhacen ridge.  Climbed to Mulhacen II (3362) heading up Mulhacen (3479).  At times the wind was strong and this is when John started to get his cough and cold.  Usual photos at top of Mulhacen and then headed down the face to Caldera Refuge and the road towards Veleta.  Just short of Veleta Johns cold was kicking in, just near Carthussie refuge.  I headed up the last 200 mts on the road and screed slope.
Joined John at the pass and we headed down to Seco valley making it to the refuge 15 minutes before dark.  (about 1500 mts 29.7 K)
Day 5
John had been coughing overnight but we headed off to do the Seite Lagunas.  After about 7K he had to turn back. John had made it back and his cough was getting worse.  I returned to near the old road to see him some of the way back.  We agreed to text when he was safely back.
 I went on to the Seite Lagunas and unto Alcazaba ridge (Culo de Perro).  The first peak I reached I now know was Penon de Globo. It was all rocks and rock and large boulders.  It was windy at the top.  I then walked just over 1 K and up the rough ground to peak Alcazaba, again a pig at the last 50 mts.  Nobody near me on these peaks and the ground was rough.  I began to wonder how many times they were climbed as everyone did Mulhacen but not these peaks, they were deserted. It you fell and broke an ankle it could be sometime before rescue came.  I was happy to be heading back and got John’s text that he was resting at the refuge.   That evening the refuge was full, as it fell dark the head line of head torches came up the valley from Capileira.  Dinner was late but great when it arrived.  Johns cough was getting worse and we decided to leave the next day and get him a bottle from the chemist.  Coughing all night may have endured the wrath of 80 people. A good decision as it turned out.

Day 6
Walked to Mirador, and sheltered from the cold wind in a group of rocks.   Took the bus, with “PACO” the guide in full flow down to Capileira where the yellow submarine (with no brakes) was still parked.  Went to Travelez to La Fragua II hotel.  A great place to stay and fine local food.  That evening we filled our boots as they say, Garlic soup the order of the day.
Day 8
On Monday John got his cough bottle and powders.  Scouted out the path above the village for the next day went as far as Prados Grandes and back.
Day 9
Back on the mountains with full pack.  Headed off as if going towards Seite Lagunas but did not turn off, again headed off to Prados Grandes passed Haza de la Choza where the path disappeared.  We followed the Acequia de Calvacho up a difficult valley. Time was ticking on and tiredness was kicking in and this is when we headed up the wrong valley.  It was my mistake although the GPS signal and reading was weak and slightly off as we were surrounded by mountains on three sides.   We followed the Acequia Caldereta de Goteron up the valley.  We camped on a slope near Tajos del Goteron below Alcazaba.  Pasta and sauce replaced the energy levels back to normal.  With darkness upon us the next eleven hours were spent listening to the wind and sliding up and down the tent.  (Climb about 1100 meters and 17K distance)
Day 10
We made things hard for ourselves this day.  Full pack up to Puntal de Goteron with its castle like peak.  Decided against attempting to follow the ridge as the route was on clear and with full pack there was a risk of falling.  For the time in this area we never saw any other walkers.  Again not the place to get injured.  We climbed down to the floor and then decided to peak valley Puntal de Vacares.  So back up above 3000 meters with full pack.  After this we found a great camp site in the valley and pitched for the night (about 2800 meters).  The rest of the pasta was followed by bland dry food.  Next time rice and pasta only, dried egg and union is not up to master chef standards. There was no wind that night and I think it went down to -2.  The water dripped from inside the tent to wash our faces.  A great sun rise the next morning.
Day 11
The guide at Poqueira refuge had said we could find a route from our peaks to Seite Lagunas by passing an anvil shaped rock and we had stored his estimated position in the GPS.  Dropping down the valley to 2500 meters we headed up to Piedra de Yunque reaching 3000 meters on the route.  Amazingly the guide’s position for the rock was accurate to within 200 meters, quite an achievement.  We followed the 2700 contour and then up to 3000 before dropping into the Seite Lagunas.  After a rest back down to Trevelez.  A pint and then a shower before another great meal.

From Veleta to Los Machos, then Mulhacen then Alcazaba and beyond  

Suggested alternative for covering ground
It is possible to get the bus from Granada to Veleta ski village and bus up to the peaks staying at the refuges on the way.  Quite safe to leave gear in them and explore each area.  You could then drop down into Poqueira for food and a rest at some point, this way a tent would not be required. Stop 1 Carihuela refuge then Caldera, Poqueira but then a tent needed to refuge Postero Alto away in the East.  Then follow the river walk to Trevelez.  This way you could cover a greater number of peaks.  But a large volume of food needed.  Plenty of water on the hills, you just need tablets or drops.
Last yeras Spain Log
first weather snowns from late Oct to March. Snow on some small areas in summer.
In winter it is cold down tp -27, three Uk  walkers died in 2005 on Mulhacen over 3400 mts.  Ski village near Grenada.
In summer get to 35 degrees .
There are mountain huts a couple staffed with food and bunks in groups from 6 to 20 a room. others are unstaffed
Google refugio nevada
Spain
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011 by johnparkes »

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011 »

Cool report. What time of year do you tend to visit the Sierra Nevada John?

I was there late November some years ago for a winter traverse: Trevelez-Mulhacen-Valeta-Pampaniera
Was 0 during the day and -12 at night. I bivvied on the ridge above Siete Lagunas, then stayed in the empty refuge SW of Valeta the second night. It's an epic place, and I love the Spanish food. Only problem I had (in the Gredos also) is that the obvious paths on the map can require Ray Mears tracking skills to discern in real life... it's a bit annoying when you are wrecked, but actually quite nice and natural compared to the trampled mournes.

It sounds scrambly and fun in the snow-free seasons - autumn may be good for a return visit.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011 »

In terms of where you could go for 8-9 days:

Tour du Mont Blanc does sound good.
For something gentler, i enjoyed the GR70 'Stevenson Trail' in France, although there are plenty of walking routes.
Pyrennees /Andorra trekking?
Picos de Europa?

GR20 Corsica or GR5 Geneva-Nice would be great but are multi-week undertakings.
I'd check a bit more on the via ferrata - going by your energy levels and exploratory itinerary, it does seem like something you might enjoy... if you don't mind ladders or exposure it's supposed to be quite accessible.
Craig
-----------------------

johnparkes

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011 »

first year I was there in June
next year i was there in mid may and the route up to Lakes was frozen and there was heavy snow above 2500mts.
Last two years I was there in Septand into Oct. sept is best as snow has all but gone.

Started to use GPS and this helps as the UTM Waypoints for the peaks and refuges are on the web sites
http://www.spanishhighs.co.uk/poqueira-refugio-hut-sierra-nevada.php
www.spanishhighs.co.uk/sierra-nevada-gps-map-free-downloads.php.
The wilder area is to the East of the lakes.  You will not meet walkers for days.

The best start town is Capileira, while we walked up to Poqueira Refuge we came down again and took full pack up in the bus.
I can send you all these details if you want them.  My spanish is good enough to book cars and reserve hotels etc
I love Fragua II and the food is out of this world.

I am researching another area in Spain called Cazorla which has some good trails.  I have walked in the mountains in Almeria along Calar Altar and the desert which is not tourist developed yet, only a few hotels.
John

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011 by johnparkes »

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011 »

Cheers for the tips John. It's nice to know about other areas that may not be so obvious but equally rich experiences.

I was checking my notes of the trip and it appears I used Capeilera as a bearing at one point to find a trail but never went through it as the path to Bubion was more efficient at the time  :)

Autumn it is next time. Seems this is generally the best time for alpine regions to really enjoy the varied flora and fauna at their best. I also think the summer heat would kill me!
Craig
-----------------------

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011 »

Do Kilimanjaro