Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Advice on new Kayak needed  (Read 4981 times)

Al Fresco

Advice on new Kayak needed
« on: January 16, 2012 »

Hi I have an old fiberglass kayak that I have been using occasionally on the Lagan for a few years, im looking to get into the sport a bit more and am looking for  new kayak, a bit tougher and more versatile than my fibreglass.
I liked the look of the Pyranha Karnali rapid, seems good for progressing on and not too expensive.
Anybody got any alternative suggestions on what to get and where to get it?
Im 6' 1" and 14 stone so needs to be reasonably big.

Al Fresco

Re: Advice on new Kayak needed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012 »

Have trawled the internet and also came up with the Dagger GT Max action and the Perception Super Sonic. anybody have or used any of these or know of anywhere locally that sells them? All retail on the net at £449.

wmclaughlin

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012 »

Have a look at the Belfast Kayak Club website and forum. It may be worth registering on the forum and asking the question there.

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012 »

What kind of paddling are you intending to do? Best thing to do is join a club and try out other peoples boats. Have a mate who has the GTX Max and loves it i have the new Liquid Logic Stomper which i love paddling. At 14 stone you wouldn't necessarily need the biggest boat manufactures make. Basically its horses for courses with boats everyone has their own preference's and wouldn't have a bad word said about the boat they paddle. Like i said earlier join a club you'll get great advice and info about boats from members then that way you wont splash out money on a boat that you aren't comfortable in. If you want any other advice give me a shout  ;D

Colin

Al Fresco

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012 »

Thanks Colin, I live right across the road from a club and actually know a few of them, but I was chatting to them one night and found them very cliquey and quite unfriendly. I know I cant judge from 1 conversation but it did put me off.
I live 100meters from a good launching point on the Lagan so could get out there pretty often.
Im looking for a kayak that i can progress in on rivers mostly, the best jack of all trades compromise type, doesnt have to be  specific play, creek or anything.

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012 »

I'm a member of Lisburn City Paddlers good friendly bunch. We're up at Shaws quite a lot most Wednesdays in the summer playing at the weirs and weekends when theres no water in the rivers. Theres a few sites that sell good river runners you might even get lucky on Gumtree. Like i said talk to kayakers, try out their boats there are clubs out there that are friendly, open and wouldnt mind you trying out their boats so dont let one conversation put you off joining. Your paddling skills would definitley progress as a club member and good clubs have a coaching system in place to help people achieve their paddling goals  ;D

Drongo

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012 »

A friend is selling his Medium Pyranha Burn - £350

NOW SOLD

http://www.pyranha.com/kayaks.php?kayak=Burn

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012 by Drongo »
I'm Not Drunk...!!!  I'm Irish, there is a Difference...

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]