Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Goat Fell, Isle of Aran, Scotland  (Read 10567 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Goat Fell, Isle of Aran, Scotland
« on: February 01, 2010 »

Has anyone ever been on the hills on the Island of Aran in Scotland. I'm off to the land of the Scots in the summer and thought I might persuade the wife to do a night on Aran so I could do Goat Fell which is 874m. I used to go to Lamlash when I was a kid so it would be awesome to get back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat_Fell

Anyone ever been?

666_pack

• Hero Poster
Re: Goat Fell, Isle of Aran, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010 »

luck sod ;D.... I'd love to go to aran. Take me with you ;)
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010 »

I'll hide you in the wifes suitcase. (Theres probably no reason that we couldnt organise a group. The spot you get to Aran from is close enough to Stranraer to get the train. You could prop do the first ferry from Belfast be at the mountain mid morning. Climb it, eat battered haggis, camp on Aran, then home again Sunday. As you might have guessed I haven't really thought this out but it still sounds like a plan! :))

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010 »

I'll hide you in the wifes suitcase. (Theres probably no reason that we couldnt organise a group. The spot you get to Aran from is close enough to Stranraer to get the train. You could prop do the first ferry from Belfast be at the mountain mid morning. Climb it, eat battered haggis, camp on Aran, then home again Sunday. As you might have guessed I haven't really thought this out but it still sounds like a plan! :))

Sounds good.......another trip in the making me thinks ;D
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010 »

battered haggis, reminds me of last time i was in scotland on a course with work and was introduced to black pudding supper lol just a big black pudd battered and dunked in fryer

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010 »

sounds awesome! Trail did a thing on the Islands a few months back and It looked class I'd love to go for a trip.

simon

• Top Poster
    • Northern Focus
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010 »

Yup, been up Goatfell - whatcha want to know?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010 »

Whats it like, how hard is it?

simon

• Top Poster
    • Northern Focus
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010 »

What's it like? - great! Really nice hill. It's not as big as some of the other Scottish hills, but you do the whole height, from sea level up.

How hard is it? - There's a few routes up it depending on how adventurous you want to be and what the weather conditions are like. The "normal" route is from the brewery on the east side of the island and is relatively easy until you get near the summit when it gets a bit steeper. A better, but much tougher, route is up Glen Rosa to The Saddle. You then walk along to North Goatfell and across Stacach - this is a shortish ridge walk so choose your weather! There are other routes which you can try depending on where you are staying - if you in Sannox, then go up Glen Sannox! This takes you to The Saddle again.

There is a good camp site in Glen Rosa where they let you light your own fires and it's pretty cheap. It's as close as you can get to wild camping without actually wild camping. Don't forget your midge headnet though!

Spark

• Top Poster
    • Causeway Coast Adventure Racing
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010 »

What's it like? - great! Really nice hill. It's not as big as some of the other Scottish hills, but you do the whole height, from sea level up.

How hard is it? - There's a few routes up it depending on how adventurous you want to be and what the weather conditions are like. The "normal" route is from the brewery on the east side of the island and is relatively easy until you get near the summit when it gets a bit steeper. A better, but much tougher, route is up Glen Rosa to The Saddle. You then walk along to North Goatfell and across Stacach - this is a shortish ridge walk so choose your weather! There are other routes which you can try depending on where you are staying - if you in Sannox, then go up Glen Sannox! This takes you to The Saddle again.

There is a good camp site in Glen Rosa where they let you light your own fires and it's pretty cheap. It's as close as you can get to wild camping without actually wild camping. Don't forget your midge headnet though!

Simon your a fab world of knowledge.............!!! ;D  and yes Scottish midge's are in a leauge of there own....!!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010 »

Brewery - check, relatively easy summit walk - check, cheap campsite that you can light a fire at - check. Well I'm in - that couldn't get better without bringing a stripper carrying an xbox ::)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]