Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Keeping the kids entertained  (Read 3409 times)

brendanmcc

• Newbie Poster
Keeping the kids entertained
« on: November 10, 2010 »

I have a couple of book recommendations for anyone who is keen to get their kids doing more stuff outdoors.
These books are very useful throughout the year to enable me to keep outdoor activities varied and interesting for my 3 kids.
(I have an 11 year old daughter, 5 year old daughter and a son at 2.)

Both books are by Fiona Danks and Jo Schofield.

The first is "Natures Playground"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Natures-Playground-Activities-Encourage-Children/dp/0711224919/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289376072&sr=1-1
It is aimed at younger kids and offers general outdoor suggestions as well as season specific ideas.  I used to be guilty of limiting my kids exposure to the outdoors to the warmer months but this book has helped be expand this a little.
Contains things like bug hunts, ice models, making natural paints, making elf houses etc.  My 2 and 5 year olds have enjoyed many days carrying out some of these activities.

The second is called "Go Wild!: 101 Things To Do Outdoors Before You Grow Up "
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Wild-Things-Outdoors-Before/dp/0711229392/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289377968&sr=1-2
and is suitable for older kids preteen- teens I'd say.
Has more of the adventurous stuff like fire building, shelter making, cooking, weapon making etc/
In fairness alot of this stuff can be found in most outdoor/ survival books but with a slant on the activities to cater for kids it made me more confident about exposing my 11 year old to some of the more 'dangerous' activites.

Both books have the underlying theme of the importance of exposing kids to the outdoors and controlled risk- A topic that I feel very strongly about!  I agree with the authors that todays kids are at a real disadvantage because of our risk averse society. (rant rant)

Depending on your kids age (or if you are responsible for kids in scouts/ youth groups etc) one or both of these books will be a wise investment.

If any one has any other books they have used to help get the kids outside please share.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Keeping the kids entertained
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010 »

Interesting. It's hard to keep kids interested outside sometimes when they're used to games consoles and a million TV channels.

VMCC

• Top Poster
    • Northern Ireland Camping Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010 »

Thanks for that, those books would definately make good christmas presents for my two boys.

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010 »

Thanks for the suggestions, I will have to pick up a copy.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]