Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gear for a Weekend Trip - Suggestions  (Read 36991 times)

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Gear for a Weekend Trip - Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009 »

so the top list is stuff you take? and the bottom is just other stuff you own?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009 »

so the top list is stuff you take? and the bottom is just other stuff you own?

Yep, I didn't explain myself very well :D

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009 »

Jonno, from browsing your 11700gms kit list I assume you are relying on an open fire to cook on or will you be adding some sort of stove which of course adds weight (in which case maybe you could trade off your evening refreshments)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009 »

Jonno, from browsing your 11700gms kit list I assume you are relying on an open fire to cook on or will you be adding some sort of stove which of course adds weight (in which case maybe you could trade off your evening refreshments)

Yeah, assuming open fire or else I'd have a trangia and meths. If by evening refreshments you mean drinkies then I'd rather trade the sleeping bag ;)

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009 »

To be honest I didn't think a trade off was even to be considered! lol

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009 »

??? where is the bog roll..... grass is so rough :P or do you not poop on a weekend away ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009 »

??? where is the bog roll..... grass is so rough :P or do you not poop on a weekend away ;D

Very good point  :-\

Paul

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009 »

Knife, axe, saw ,biscuit tin billy can, 58 water bottle and crusader cup, and 3 layers of natural fibre clothing.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009 »

Knife, axe, saw ,biscuit tin billy can, 58 water bottle and crusader cup, and 3 layers of natural fibre clothing.

Travelling with no tarp or bag is fine if you're heading somewhere that you can make your shelter. On the side of a mountain with no shelter it could get messy.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009 »

You def need a sleeping bag and some kind of shelter we learnt a harsh lesson camped on the back of Ben crom woke up in torrential rain with a river running through are tarps. :o
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Paul

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009 »

Camping on the side of a mountain isnt really my thing, even with a tarp or tent. However shelter can still be constructed there if need be. The first rule in setting a camp is finding a suitable location, the side of a mountain isnt to me a suitable location for enjoying bushcraft. if you want to practise survival techniques you should never do it by putting yourself in danger this is foolish. I like to travel light and use whats out there. I did the mournes a while back it was my first time there it was a great view from some of the peaks though it isnt really bushcraft. i like being in the woods ( it was good exercise though)

Paul

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009 »

You're as bad as Mouldsy. Blooming magpies the both of you. I should start charging rent on all the stuff you lot borrow from me.

Paul

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009 »

How dare you Gary! i have never borrowed anything from you,....ive stolen quite a bit though!!!  ;D

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009 »

You guys sound like the kinda boys i like 2 go camping with just reading ur posts makes me laff ;D
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010 »

The lists are all pretty close. Realistically, there is little difference in what you pack for 1 night or 5 nights (more food & fuel).  If I'm going for longer then I put more expensive whisky in the hip flask so I can really savour the 2 sips I ration each night  :)

For 1 night you might be more willing to sacrifice a comfort item, and for longer you might throw in 1 or 2 small things to aid convenience.

Activity makes the biggest difference - as some of the guys who pursue bushcraft have noted, they spend time in a plentiful environment, so get away with very little.  If you're heading into mountains, especially in winter then you need a whole lot more (lets not even get started on climbing).  Appropriate timing, weather analysis, and contingency planning can mitigate the need for extra gear.

I spent 3 days crossing the Sierra Nevada in late November (winter, but not super deep snow) with the following:
Main kit
Sabre 45 +pockets+liner      3.0kg
PHD down bag -20               1.4kg
Prolite 4 mat                        0.7kg
Down jacket                         0.5kg
Cooking                               1.2kg - Primus gravity stove +MSR stainless pot +lid +small gas canister +Cutlery
Small F.A.K.                         0.25kg
2 trekking poles                    0.5kg
Headtorch + spare batt.        0.15kg
Map, compass, altimeter       0.2kg
Camera + film                      0.6kg
Phone + glowstick                 0.1kg
Hygiene kit                           0.3kg  - toothbrush, alco gel, few wet wipes, little talc, some TP, small trowel.
3 plastic bags                        0.0     - 1 each foot for vapour barrier, 1 for rubbish.
Notepad                              0.1kg
Extra gloves/dry socks          0.1kg
GTX jacket + overtrousers     1.2kg

Variable
Camelbak (full)                     2.0kg
Food (inc. snacks)                 2.5kg

That gives approx. 10kg with an extra 4.5kg that I didn't have when I got back.

How? - a weather front had passed through, and the forecast was again settled (in a typically settled area) for the next 4 days (I needed 3).  My sleeping bag is snow proof / there was a cave in the vicinity of the 1st night and a mountain hut near the 2nd night - extra shelter was not required.  I would be working hard (hot) all day, and in a warm protective bag all night, only needing the extra insulation of the down jacket for cooking and emergency heat.
My food was precisely rationed for 2 breakfast, 3 lunch, 2 dinner, with trail mix and 2 choc bars per day. 1 Choc bar and some trail mix would be left for emergency ration/ until I was on the final safe tramp.  I had escape routes planned for various points so I always had an option if the situation overtook my preparations.

Where could I save?
Obviously the rucksack!  My 55l Granite Gear is 1.6kg
The Goretex gear also has room to improve here - I have a walking jacket - a more technical cut would save a bit.  Also some soft-shell trousers would have replaced my trousers/overtrouser combo (to be lighter and more comfortable).  Furthermore, as noted, snow isn't really that wet - a windproof could have replaced the 800g jacket with one at 85g.
A compact camera maybe - but I'm a photographer, and I did leave 7.4kg of gear behind.
2 foam mats might save a bit if you can put up with them.
Food - I did have 2 cartons of sieved tomatoes at 400g each, which is carrying more liquid - but melting snow is a chore and I didn't drink enough as it was - experience has taught me to carry an extra 230g gas cart. next time and melt away.
Stove - for boiling water mostly so a Jetboil would be lighter.

If I did all of that I would save nearly 4kg again!!!!  Replace the poles with the ice-axe I should have had for the same weight, and 2kg of crampons and I would still be 2kg lighter...although what's that about every kilo on your feet being = 6kg on your back  ;D

WHW was heavier as we had a tent, travel clothes, 7 days of food (we ate well), a flask (my English friend swears by it - I was non-plussed at instant tea, but if he was carrying it, it would be rude to refuse a brew), hip flasks, and a few books.... if I had less words in my head it might be lighter too; sorry if you made it this far!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]