Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Canoeing - Killyleagh to Salt Island  (Read 7861 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Canoeing - Killyleagh to Salt Island
« on: May 25, 2009 »

My brother was home for the weekend so I persuaded him to come canoeing. The weather was supposed to be reasonable so I thought it was a good excuse for my first sea canoeing experience - I've been dying to get to Salt Island ever since I got the canoe so this seemed like a good opportunity. Unfortunately the wind ended up in the South (the worst possible direction) and was blowing 15mph or so. We decided to go anyway and the paddle over was absolutely torturous and I considered jumping over the side a few times ;) It was so tough we even had to stop and hang on to a mooring after 10 minutes because we were knackered and if we had stopped paddling for a rest we'd have gotten blown back to Killyleagh. However it was worth the effort and satisfying when we got there. We pitched a tarp and hammock in the woods, made coffee on the Jetboil and sausage and bacon rolls on the Trangia. Then we cooked more bacon on the hobo stove just because you can never have too much bacon and I don't need much of an excuse to light a fire :) The paddle home was much easier even though the wind had gone round to the west which still wasn't the best but it didn't take too long.

All in all it was a fantastic day and the biggest disappointment was that I didn't bring a sleeping bag because I would have loved to light a fire and stay!!

Ready to leave
[smg id=29]

Landed on Salt Island
[smg id=30]

Me - unable to use my arms after the paddle
[smg id=31]

The best way to spend a Saturday afternoon
[smg id=32]

Mmm. Sausages.
[smg id=33]

[smg id=34]

The patented bacon cooking system
[smg id=35]

We didn't fancy a game of chicken
[smg id=36]

Home again
[smg id=37]

Can't wait to go back but I'll not be doing it unless the weather is clement!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009 by jonno »

666_pack

• Hero Poster
Re: Canoeing - Killyleagh to Salt Island
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009 »

Nice one Jonno!
all in the pursuit of a bacon sandwich. I like your style.
I think after that paddle gettin up a few hills would be no bother.

Raised Flagons

666_pack
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009 »

Sounds like a lovely wee adventure!  How far is it ?? When do you plan to do it again ??
Fun is not a straight line

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009 »

Nice one Jonno!

Raised Flagons

666_pack

I think I'll head for Hares Gap this Saturday and see how I get on. I'll take my 10 year old so I don't want to go anywhere too hard but I really want to do more walking and camping so I have to start somewhere.

Sounds like a lovely wee adventure!  How far is it ?? When do you plan to do it again ??

It looks way further than it actually is. To follow the coast South from Killyleagh and then paddle the shortest route across is only 1.5miles and I'd say that in nice weather it really wouldn't be far enough, you'd maybe want to do a circuit of the island for paddlings sake. It is however far enough to keep the idiots away and I saw very little sign of rubbish on the island. I'd definately plan to do it again as soon as possible (and as many times as possible). I like getting away in the canoe for some basic bushcraft (ie cooking sausages and relaxing in a hammock :)) and Salt Island is nice and close and has a wood on it!

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009 »

The Hares Gap should be straight forward it mainly a longish walk in with a slight climb upto reach the wall. Will be no bother.
Salt Island looks like a pretty good camp spot. Were exactly is it and what type of Canoe are you using?
Nice one Jonno!

Raised Flagons

666_pack

I think I'll head for Hares Gap this Saturday and see how I get on. I'll take my 10 year old so I don't want to go anywhere too hard but I really want to do more walking and camping so I have to start somewhere.

It looks way further than it actually is. To follow the coast South from Killyleagh and then paddle the shortest route across is only 1.5miles and I'd say that in nice weather it really wouldn't be far enough, you'd maybe want to do a circuit of the island for paddlings sake. It is however far enough to keep the idiots away and I saw very little sign of rubbish on the island. I'd definately plan to do it again as soon as possible (and as many times as possible). I like getting away in the canoe for some basic bushcraft (ie cooking sausages and relaxing in a hammock :)) and Salt Island is nice and close and has a wood on it!
Nice one Jonno!

Raised Flagons

666_pack

If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009 »

The Hares Gap should be straight forward it mainly a longish walk in with a slight climb upto reach the wall. Will be no bother.
Salt Island looks like a pretty good camp spot. Were exactly is it and what type of Canoe are you using?

Salt Island is about a mile south of Killyleagh and about 500m off shore.

You can see it here

I did it in a an Old Town Charles River Canadian Canoe which was a bugger in the wind but totally worth it!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]