Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weekend  (Read 8401 times)

andy1984

• Top Poster
Weekend
« on: May 26, 2010 »

Hi guys,

Anyone anything planned for this weekend?

I was thinking either:

1. maybe heading down to the mournes on Friday after work and going from meelmore up trassy, up the valley between bearnagh and meelmore, then on round to lough shannagh for a camp. Then maybe up over meelbeg and meelmore the next day on the way back? Whats lough shannagh like for a wild camp?

2. head down sat morning, start at meelmore, up to hares gap, follow the brandy pad round a bit then turn and head over beg, cove moutain and lamagan then down to annalong for a camp. Next day back up the valley and up the devils coachroad and round to hares gap!

What you think?  ;D

Andy

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010 »

The boy gets his school results this weekend so I think I'll be required at home. No2 sounds brilliant though. I'll file that one for another time :)

ChuckMcB

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010 »

Whats lough shannagh like for a wild camp?
There's an excellent flat (if a bit exposed) spot at the north end of the Lough but everyone seems to go there. The other end of the Lough is a bit more sandy...but has a bit more protection if you set up camp a bit further back from the water's edge in the peat hags.

Another option is a spot that I've heard folks here talking about but not recced yet: there is a river that runs out of the Lough, follow it for a couple hundred yards and it levels out...there's not meant to be much room, but enough for one tent/bivvy. Should give a good view down to Silent Valley and facing east for the sunrise.

I've done first part of #2 as a one day trip, it's a good walk....coming down off Lamagan after cove etc you are soooo pleased to see the Blue Lough.

up the devils coachroad
...erm...actually up this? :o Now that would scare the fork out of me...

Anyone anything planned for this weekend?
I fancy a poke about Hare's Castle on the right hand side of the Annalong Valley...if you end up doing #2 you may see me in Annalong wood Saturday night (look for a tall guy with a wee ginger dog)

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010 »

There's an excellent flat (if a bit exposed) spot at the north end of the Lough but everyone seems to go there. The other end of the Lough is a bit more sandy...but has a bit more protection if you set up camp a bit further back from the water's edge in the peat hags.

Another option is a spot that I've heard folks here talking about but not recced yet: there is a river that runs out of the Lough, follow it for a couple hundred yards and it levels out...there's not meant to be much room, but enough for one tent/bivvy. Should give a good view down to Silent Valley and facing east for the sunrise.

I've done first part of #2 as a one day trip, it's a good walk....coming down off Lamagan after cove etc you are soooo pleased to see the Blue Lough.

Thanks Chuck thats some good info there!

...erm...actually up this?  Now that would scare the fork out of me...

Well it might very well scare the fook out of me too!! i'm never actually tried it but fancy giving it a go! might prove a bit difficult with heavier overnight packs on? maybe anyone who as done it could comment...

I fancy a poke about Hare's Castle on the right hand side of the Annalong Valley...if you end up doing #2 you may see me in Annalong wood Saturday night (look for a tall guy with a wee ginger dog)

Nice one, i walked up that way from annalong to donnard car park. Where in annalong do you usually camp?

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010 »

The coachroad isn't that bad it looks harder than it is.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010 »

Andy, I'm hoping to head up to the Mournes on Saturday but only for a day trip.  I've posted up a route here so will maybe bump into each other :) 

ChuckMcB

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010 »

Nice one, i walked up that way from annalong to donnard car park. Where in annalong do you usually camp?
My recent wild camps can be counted on your thumbs TBH (Cove and Pot of Legawherry where my last two).

While the Annalong Wood and the sites on the banks of the Annalong River look very popular and good for groups, when solo I have a leaning towards just finding a quiet out of the way spot ideally with fresh water. That's one of the reasons I was planning a recce of Hare's Castle: I noticed a river running down from it the other week when me and Mrs walked the Valley the week before last.

might prove a bit difficult with heavier overnight packs on?
The extra kit would really mess with your centre of balance. I wouldn't risk it without a light pack (they are handy to bounce on if the worst happens) and a climbing buddy......and a belay....and the Mourne Mountain Rescue on quick dial (but then I'm a big wuss and I kinda like the way my feet and hand have never ended up pointing the wrong way  ;D)

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010 »

I'd be up for the friday night camp. I finish work at 1 on fridays...what time are you thinking of starting at?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010 »

Yeah the devils coach road isn't as bad as it looks. If your heading up it we found the right hand side slighty easier going untill about 10-15 meters from the top then slid left to finish.

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010 »

I'd be up for the friday night camp. I finish work at 1 on fridays...what time are you thinking of starting at?

Just a bit of a complication work related so not sure whats happening now!! the best plans never seem to work out!! >:(

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010 »

Looks like i'm going by myself. I've never done a solo mountain camp before.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010 »

Go for it Big E...once you do the first one they 'aint so scary.....but if you have any doubts with the weather etc just stop, find a safe/flat pitch, set up camp, make a brew and wait it out....Years ago I once spent a great wet afternoon/evening in my tent beside the Trassey River watching/laughing at folks slogging up Trassey Track in the *chucking* rain while I sat in my tent dry and warm listening to my radio and reading a magazine. By the morning the rain had gone...got up really early and sprinted up Hares Gap and over Bernagh before 9am.

Anyhow, where are you thinking of going? (just so we know where to send the Mountain Rescue Boys j/k )

ps. take photos....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010 by Chuck »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010 »

Solo is awesome. It's great fun and very satisfying. Take plenty of piccies so we can be jealous!

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010 »

Did you head out on Friday night solo Big E?

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010 »

hey the sky was black so i chickened out  :(. Glad i did cos saturday was a wash out. But the weather is looking good for this weekend so i'm going to give it another shot.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]