Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: New hammock  (Read 2890 times)

b0ogaloo

• Top Poster
    • Kayak Angling Ireland
New hammock
« on: September 10, 2011 »

My new hammock arrived yesterday  ;D
Excuse the image quality . the forest where I hung it this morning was in the cloud base . light was terrible

This is a custom built hammock from Mat @ UKHammocks . its not cheap but it is kinda nice  :mrgreen:
I asked Mat for a double layer with footbox , Whoopie sling suspension. internal pockets and double zippered bug net ( zips on both sides of net)

The hammock arrived after 14 days . first impressions were bloody hell thats small and  light, build quality is superb and the material its manufactured  from is almost like a synthetic silk

I also received a new tarp last week for winter hammocking , Its huge at 3mx4.5m  but the plan is to hang it like a ridge tent and get  sil-nylon doors fitted to it

In the photo below the ridge line is at 6' 6 "

This is the prussic knot and karabiner method i use to tension the tarp on the ridge line

Pack size of the hammock is tiny compared to my DD and its about half the weight , of course the DD has the karabiner mod done to it so that accounts for a lot of weight ,

Pictured beside a 1ltr nagalene bottle. it could be compressed to half that size

It comes packed in a bishop bag. note the drawstring openings at each end . the bag stays on the suspension when its hung and makes  unpacking and packing very easy

The suspension system uses tree huggers and whoopie slings , I also received two amsteel soft shackles but opted to go with the marlin spike hitch and toggle

Its a gathered end hammock which has a structural ridge line which keeps the sag consistant and the noseeum mesh off my face

With the noseeum mesh folded back you can see the ridge line

The hammock feels huge compared to the DD , i asked for a foot box to allow me to lie on the diagonal across the hammock.
Photos crap but you get the idea

Feet in the footbox

Diagonal lay on my side

I had asked for a few internal pockets  for storing my camp shoes , head torch book etc . these were sewn n the perfect position , easy to access and big enough even for my size 11 crocs

Again sorry for the crap photos

The Hammock is incredibly comfy. lightweight and the build quality superb if this bloody wind would feck off i'd get it tested properly with a few nights on the Lough

After all struggling to get decent pics I got the stove lit and got the moca filled , cant be having with any of that instant gravy granule crap

As well as the Hammock and tarp I also bartered some fishing gear with Pablo for a new knife . I was after something a bit smaller than my usual camp knives and he came up with this

Its perfect for whittling  the hours away , I can choke right up on it for fine detail work and it is of course razor sharp

Andy
Banging Square Pegs into round holes since 1969

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]