Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Great Jacket Debate (Round 1)  (Read 24992 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: The Great Jacket Debate (Round 1)
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010 »

Surf Mountain have started stocking the Haglofs gear.  Sure looks the part, but it definitely fits into the "top end prices" bracket that whoRya mentioned! 

I can't buy any more orange coloured gear though... it's nothing political but the inside of my tent is orange, my sleeping bag is orange, my Jetboil is orange, my rucksack is orange :D  I'm sure there is more... oh yeah, navy/orange Buff!  Completely unintentional colour co-ordination!

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010 »

Surf Mountain have started stocking the Haglofs gear.  Sure looks the part, but it definitely fits into the "top end prices" bracket that whoRya mentioned! 

I can't buy any more orange coloured gear though... it's nothing political but the inside of my tent is orange, my sleeping bag is orange, my Jetboil is orange, my rucksack is orange :D  I'm sure there is more... oh yeah, navy/orange Buff!  Completely unintentional colour co-ordination!

At least some of us think outside the box! Most of the time in work all people are interested in is "a black north face coat"

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010 »

I have bought a few haglofs items and they are great I even bought one of their leather wallets, my wife thinks I have a problem but I'm sure if she found the key to my locker in garage it would cause a bigger problem for me and my kit
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010 »

Why are people so fascinated with TNF. Is their gear actually any good? I'm guessing their Hyvent technology is average at best.

At least some of us think outside the box! Most of the time in work all people are interested in is "a black north face coat"

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010 »

I can't buy any more orange coloured gear though... it's nothing political but the inside of my tent is orange, my sleeping bag is orange, my Jetboil is orange, my rucksack is orange :D  I'm sure there is more... oh yeah, navy/orange Buff!  Completely unintentional colour co-ordination!

Your kit could finally be complete :o
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010 by whoRya »
"Not all those who wander are lost."

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010 »

Why are people so fascinated with TNF. Is their gear actually any good? I'm guessing their Hyvent technology is average at best.

They started as a serious gear company but have definitely shifted to a more commercial focus.  I imagine Hyvent is rather average, but what surprises me are the number of quite expensive jackets they still use it on.  There are certainly very good items within their 'summit series' range, like the Point Five jacket, and we also stock a nice thin softshell.  I got a great merino baselayer, and their expedition duffles are as good as it gets (although wildly overpriced IMO - get the ME one).  Saying that, the Thermo Pro is branded 'summit series' and I feel it is more commercial, albiet exclusive.
Due to their size, they can also provide much larger sizes in many lines... although I'm not sure what such large people need these jackets for.  Ponchos and golf umbrellas are more useful. (sorry to any massive people but it's just fact).
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010 »

I have a TNF summit series APEX softshell. Its a great lightweight pullover.
No one goes inside to clear their head

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010 »

generally you'll find that north face stuff is £30-£40 quid more expensive than the alternative and usually poorer quality with less features!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010 »

The first "proper" gear I bought was TNF, probably because it was the brand I saw advertised most in the magazines etc!  I started out with a TNF Paclite jacket which was terrible, wetted out from day one, I'd have been drier wearing a string vest.  Because it was faulty they exchanged it for another TNF jacket which was marginally better but still ended up having me soaked on wet days despite looking after it well with both tech wash and re-proofer. 

Durability was pretty rubbish as well, the fabric tore on the sleeve from what looked like a fabric failure and I ended up getting a patch sewn on to repair it.  Around the cuffs the shell has worn away quite badly despite the fact it hasn't had a hard life and still isn't really all that old.  I also have a 200 weight TNF fleece which within a couple of months lost most of its colour, the material went bally (followed the washing instructions) and the drawstring snapped so I can't cinch it in at the waist.

TNF gear definitely looks the part, but they are obviously putting their efforts into making their gear fashionable rather than functional and durable!  Frankly I wouldn't touch their gear with a fire damaged stick in the future ;)

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010 »

Ok so I bought a coat last night.

Spent a good while trying on different coats last night and on previous occasions.

Spend a while looking at:
Berghaus Axis
Berghaus Mera Peak
Berghaus High Trails
ME Ogre + similar ME
Rab Bergen
TNF Point Five
TNF Downpour

But decided on this:
http://www.tiso.com/shop/mammut/kiruna-jacket-mens/

It felt comfy on, hood worked well and I quite liked the length and cut of it.  I didn't want to go for AQ or Hy-vent so that got me up into that sort of range.  I don't want to have to buy another jacket any time soon so I shied away from anything in the ultra-light range.  I'd be majorly miffed if I ripped it early on. 

Some of the jackets I honestly couldn't really decide between, they all seemed more than adequate.  The Rab felt nice on but they didn't have my size, the Downpour felt really comfortable but I thought it was probably more comfort than I needed.  The Axis was only in bright red and I don't think it did anything for me.  Not of big importance, but if you spend a lot of money you need to think it looks right on you.

I took it down to the Point Five and the Mammut but the Point Five was more expensive, although they are quite different e.g. Mammut is a 2 layer with a lining.

Is it normal after a big purchase to completely doubt what you have done?  I looked up the weight of the Mammut when I got home and at 740g it is one of the heaviest in the shop.  The pockets are not the chest high ones, will I find that annoying with a rucksack belt?  I don't honestly know.  There is one smaller chest pocket big enough for a compass and phone.  I usually have some sort of bag on my back but have always just stopped to check a map or something anyway.

Back to the weight.  Filled with all sorts of doubts about this I started weighing all sorts of things on the kitchen scales to see what the 'extra' weight was the equivalent of.  Ok I was never coming out of the shop with something at 250g.  Measuring it against the Point Five for instance which is 500g.  It boils down to about three mandarin oranges or half a tin of beans.  Does it matter that much.  Honest answers appreciated.  Do you think 740g is too much?  I was shocked that the Berghaus Cornice is only about 40g less!

I couldn't find a single review of the coat online, in English anyway.  Was I seduced because it was 'reassuringly expensive'.  Tags are still on.     
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010 »

Milliets was doing a Berghaus Gore-Tex Jacket last night for £169.99 with the extra 20% off. Wish I had the extra money to buy it but is was a great jacket (Dont know the name of it)
No one goes inside to clear their head

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010 »

*snip* Honest answers appreciated.  Do you think 740g is too much?  I was shocked that the Berghaus Cornice is only about 40g less!

I couldn't find a single review of the coat online, in English anyway.  Was I seduced because it was 'reassuringly expensive'.  Tags are still on.     

Normal to start doubting big purchase, although I usually get it about 2 months later when i can't return it  ::)

740g isn't too bad - my old Cornice was 840, and most Paramo are around that mark.  In this case you are buying the extra comfort of the lining and length with those grams.
Try it on with your packs and see if the pockets are an issue for you. Try it with various levels of layering underneath, and wear it in the house for an hour.

Depends on yourself and how you use/wear jackets.  It is a quality jacket.  If you are unsure, try the Rab Bergen when your size comes in - lighter, higher pockets, a little longer than the Point Five and softer material (the fit is vaguely similar in these two, PF slightly broader in chest).

If you are wearing it mostly the grams don't matter much, but if it lives in your pack, the weight and packability do factor - my cornice took up about 8-10litres of space, and as my ambitions are endurance/alpinism my priorities may differ (300g could be 2 dehydrated meals).
Craig
-----------------------

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010 »

Is it normal after a big purchase to completely doubt what you have done?

Definitely!  I find it hard to buy something now without some hardcore Google action beforehand, and if I buy something unplanned the first thing I do when I get home is scour the internet for reviews.  Problem is when you are looking for reviews for an item you've already bought you tend to only notice the bad reviews :D

My TNF All Terrain jacket sounds similar to your Mammut.  About the same weight, Gore-tex Performance shell, lining etc.  On those days when it rains from start to finish I really appreciate the added comfort, just unfortunately as I've mentioned in a previous post mine isn't all that waterproof!  Around 700g is a perfectly average weight for that spec of jacket and the lightweight classic jacket that is the Montane Venture is only 200-300g lighter.  Thats about the same weight difference as a couple of Landy Liam's cheese sandwiches ;)

Personally jacket pockets dont bother me, because I rarely use them.  It seems to be a fairly recent yard stick the magazines etc. are using to review jackets, but most modern rucksacks have hipbelt pockets which I much prefer using.  Mind you I just bought a jacket that has only one pocket on the chest so I might be a bit biased there.  Basically if your jacket fits good and feels good then I think you'll get plenty of service from it all year round.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010 »

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2010/11/guaranteed-to-make-you-buy-three-new-fabrics-take-aim-at-gore-tex/

Saw this linked on Twitter.  Very interesting, as are the comments (inc. from the manufacturers).
Not sure when they are hitting the marketplace though.  We have some Columbia Omni-dry jackets, but they are heavy, traditional comfort styled ones.

Don't think I'll jump in as an early adopter on this one.  I'll be a Montane fan-boy and see what they are using when my Venture gives up the ghost (my Venture I haven't even got yet)!
Craig
-----------------------

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010 »

Don't think I'll jump in as an early adopter on this one.  I'll be a Montane fan-boy and see what they are using when my Venture gives up the ghost (my Venture I haven't even got yet)!

I love it when you start planning the gear you're gonna get, after the gear you're gonna get ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]