Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Advice for a newbie  (Read 15526 times)

Jussy

• Newbie Poster
  • Smile
Advice for a newbie
« on: November 03, 2009 »

Hello all !
Just came across this forum by accident. But im glad i did.

Over the summer i have been out and about and watched guys/girls on strangford lough in kayaks. so this has kind of put the notion in my head about buying one.
So for the past couple of months i have been looking into what type/sort to buy. I have searched the net and i have decided i would like a sit-in one about 9 or 10ft long general purpose. I think the 1 i have decided on is the perception sundance.

Can anyone advice me on this. ie: is it a good/bad choice for a beginner and what sort of places would best suit me with this kayak??

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated and hopefully help me get out onto or into the water.

many thanks
Mark
Wheres my armbands ??

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
Re: Advice for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009 »

hi jussy i take it it's a sea kayak your looking for? Dont know much about them as i do mostly river and white water kayaking but the Belfast Kayak Club do a lot of sea kayaking and have some well informed members who could put you in the right direction.  ;D

Jussy

• Newbie Poster
  • Smile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009 »

Hello.
Thanks for replying. No its not really a sea kayak im after. Basically its just an all rounder that would do rivers (mostly what i will want to do) but also something that if i fancied i could scoot out to an island on strangford lough etc.
what kind have you got and what all would you use it for??
im just looking plenty of advice before i part with money.
cheers
jussy
Wheres my armbands ??

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009 »

If its mostly rivers you want to do a river runner boat would do the job. I've a DaggerGTX white water spec which is a good all rounder for my size "6 foot and 14 stone" goes well down any river and is good to play in white water i.e surfing.
Go on the net and look at reviews of boats and join a club then you can get the chance to try out a few different types to see wot best suits you. Belfast Kayak club hire out sea kayaks and open boats "canoes" free of charge if your a member where do you live?

Jussy

• Newbie Poster
  • Smile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009 »

Hi.
Im in ballyhalbert so not too far from the "bright lights" ill have to get in touch with them then. do you know anything about the perception sundance? its just the one thats standing out for me.
jussy
Wheres my armbands ??

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009 »

the perception sundance is more a recreational kayak a safe bet for the beginner but you'll find as you become a better paddler you would want to try so white water, shooting rapids action. The sundance wouldnt be the boat to do that but if you've the money to buy another more suitable boat down the line when your skills develop then go for it. It just depends wot you want to do.

Jussy

• Newbie Poster
  • Smile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009 »

i think a safe bet is the way for me ! ive learnt the hard way with other things ive decided to try. im sure i will want to try different things i the future but ill start off slowly.
thanks for your advice and your help. its appreciated.
jussy
Wheres my armbands ??

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009 »

seriously though,i think your really restricting yourself with a sit in kayak. unless your a competent yakker with all the appropriate/essential safety gear then id steer clear of a sit in.

a friend of mine bought one and i almost parted with money for one myself. thank fully i did my homework and bought something a LOT more versatile.....a sit on top kayak. much safer and suitable for salt water as well as rivers and lakes.

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009 »

Have to agree with you on that one pablo sit on kayaks or much safer for the beginner to gain confidence and progress skill levels but theres nothing to beat rolling on white water in a sit in kayak  ;D
Having never been on a sit on whats it like to roll?

Jussy

• Newbie Poster
  • Smile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009 »

Hi Pablo and damp colin
there is just something about the sit on i dont fancy. im honestly not sure what it is but id rather have a sit in. when i was younger i went to lessons in the robinson centre in sit ins. so if i was going to get one i would like some sort of refresher course on safety etc before i started. do you know if anywhere does this sort of thing??
a friend has a sit in and a girl i work with has a sit on so i will have to get out a run on both to see which i prefer.

apart from the amount of gear i could carry what other advantages/disadvantages are there with both sit on and sit ins???

thanks lads
jussy
Wheres my armbands ??

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009 »

The Robinson centre has open paddling sessions every wednesday evenings from 8.30 to 9.30 i'm usually there and theres always a qualified coach or two who attend to so if you want to brush up on strokes and braces before setting off on open water then come on down.
I learnt in a sit in and will always use and buy a sit in, sit on's dont interest me but everyones different and a lot of beginners would apprieciate the stability they provide again its all an individual preference

Jussy

• Newbie Poster
  • Smile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009 »

Thats great to know the Robinson Centre is still holding those sessions. I will definatly come to those for a wee fresher. I feel the same as you regarding the sit ons. They just dont interest me for some reason. But as you say everyone has their own preference.
I will keep in touch with you regarding the Robinson Centre.
Cheers Colin
Mark
Wheres my armbands ??

MG1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009 »

Whats envovled in those classes?
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009 »

they arent structured as its an open session to the public but there is usually at least one coach there who would teach anything that you wanted to learn from farward paddling properly to support strokes, how to roll, rescues etc plus theres a few seasoned paddlers who are always willing to give advice on any kayaking subject.

MG1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009 »

Where abouts is the Robinson centre?
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]