Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• St. Patricks Overnighter: March 16, 2010 - March 17, 2010
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: St. Patricks Day Overnighter  (Read 12680 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
St. Patricks Day Overnighter
« on: March 08, 2010 »

Following on from the Antrim Hills thread, and after a bit of discussion on Saturday, I thought we could try and get a few people together for a St. Patricks Day overnighter.  Plan would be to meet up on the evening of Tuesday 16th March (after work!), have a camp and then do a bit of walking the following day which is St. Patricks Day.

Seeing an Antrim Hills trip is still on the cards, I reckon this would be a good place to go.  Maybe have the walk/camp tie in with part of the Moyle Way or something, but we can discuss that with the local experts :)  If any one is interested post away and we will get something sorted.  Irish Stew and Guinness are optional, but I wouldn't be surprised if I bring at least one tin of the black stuff!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 by suspectmonkey »

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: St. Patricks Day Overnighter
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010 »

I'm game. I'll do my best to make the overnighter but I'll defo do the walk. I vote Trostan - I've been wanting to get up it for a while.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010 »

Sorry guys but yet again i'm working >:( The Moyle way is a good walk. Keep an eye on billy backpack last time we were there had caught a mystery bug/hangover ;).
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010 »

Keep an eye on billy backpack last time we were there had caught a mystery bug/hangover ;).

Aye I've heard there are some mystery bugs lurking up that neck of the woods ;)  Mind you, at least we shouldn't have to contend with a fire that is constantly sinking through snow like you guys did last time!

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010 »

i'm in.

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010 »

Sorry guys but yet again i'm working >:( The Moyle way is a good walk. Keep an eye on billy backpack last time we were there had caught a mystery bug/hangover ;).

You may all laugh but I can tell you whatever it was it lasted 4 days and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy  :-*

As regards snow, this morning there is a real hard frost and there's still some snow patch's visible from my abode and without driving down to Glenariff to check I would say there is still considerable snow in them hills around Trostan......but that will sort the MEN from the BOY'S  ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 by billy backpack »

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010 »

As regards snow, this morning there is a real hard frost and there's still some snow patch's visible from my abode and without driving down to Glenariff to check I would say there is still considerable snow in them hills around Trostan......but that will sort the MEN from the BOY'S  ;D

Looks like I may have spoken too soon about the weather then!  I don't know what it is, but I've barely seen snow all winter.  I live in Bangor and there has been the odd snow flurry, but its never lay for more than an hour or two.  Bit frosty, but thats it.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010 »

We were in the Antrim Hills Sunday week ago and the snow was knee deep in parts. It's unbelieveable how different it is up there than just about anywhere else in NI.

Looks like I may have spoken too soon about the weather then!  I don't know what it is, but I've barely seen snow all winter.  I live in Bangor and there has been the odd snow flurry, but its never lay for more than an hour or two.  Bit frosty, but thats it.

Kat

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010 »

I'll be there with a few more bananas ;D

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010 »

I'll be there with a few more bananas ;D

Hmmmm !   is that for you and Jon .....lol 

I'm sure they tasted divine with the chocolate at Donard wood :'(

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010 »

Are we going to run with a plan B if it's still really snowed in or just plough on?

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010 »

I'm sure they tasted divine with the chocolate at Donard wood :'(

In fairness... we did have the chocolate and bananas as two separate courses :D  I don't want to get involved with this though, it was Kat who was down for bringing the chocolate and bananas, I just contributed to the meat etc. ;)  Not that I'm passing the buck or anything!

Do we need a plan B?  I'm fairly confident that any snow will be manageable, but then again I can't see it outside my window!  I suppose if the weather is due to be really foul we could just go for a day trip instead, but Andy did say it would sort the men from the boys :)

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010 »

I may need to forgo this trip, I forgot I'd promised I'd go and see a mate on paddys day. I may be able to get up for the overnight but I'd have to shoot early the next day.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010 »

No worries Chris.

So who all is definitely up for the overnighter, or is there anyone who hasn't made up there mind yet?  I'm just thinking if there is only going to be two or three people interested, might be better just making this a day trip instead?  Either way I'm intending to spend St. Patricks Day in the Antrim Hills but maybe its just as handy heading up that morning.  Lemme know what you think :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010 »

I'm still a bit up in the air with the overnighter but defo up for the walking. Should know at the end of the weekend.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]