Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Donard Wood Family Camp: March 06, 2010
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Donard Wood Family Overnighter - 06/02/10  (Read 22384 times)

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
Re: Donard Wood Family Overnighter - 06/02/10
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010 »

Unfortunately I have to work all weekend now, im gutted. as my PD400 arrived yesterday and im all good to go.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010 »

Thats a shame. We'll catch you the next time.

Unfortunately I have to work all weekend now, im gutted. as my PD400 arrived yesterday and im all good to go.

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010 »

what kinda food do you guys take usually take on a over nighter? obviously something easy to carry, simple to make but tastey!

I was just thinking pasta and sauce or super noodles or something? any ideas of some a little better?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010 »

I'd always take dried food - Pasta'n'Sauce is great source of energy as far as calories per 100g goes - better when you add a cooked meat of some sort. Super Noodles are also a great choice - easy to make and tasty. Lots of the guys eat CousCous but I've never tried it. You can also get ready meals that you boil in the bag designed for camping from companies like Wayfarer. They're pricey and a bit heavy but not bad if you're going somewhere that you can't source water.

My principle is, if there will be water where I'm going then why carry wet food - dried is much easier. That said, you can't beat a bit'o meat so sometimes it's worth carrying the weight so you can have a sausage and bacon roll or something like that.

The last time we were out BillyBackpack and Chris had steak, baby new potatoes and mange tous all cooked in a Trangia (with sticky pudding, custard and a decent red) and they hiked over Binnian to Donard so anything's possible :)

This weekend I think we're going to have a pop at spit roasted spatchcock chicken for something a bit different with potatoes cooked in the fire and maybe a few lamb chops!

what kinda food do you guys take usually take on a over nighter? obviously something easy to carry, simple to make but tastey!

I was just thinking pasta and sauce or super noodles or something? any ideas of some a little better?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 by J »

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010 »

This weekend I think we're going to have a pop at spit roasted spatchcock chicken for something a bit different!

Sounds good!  ;D

That was going to be my next question, what do you usually do for water? I've camped loads of times but never on a true wild camp, always in campsite with access to clean water.

How much water is reasonable to take for 2 ppl for a few hours walk and overnighter.

The only way i have to clean water is boiling!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010 »

That's a complicated question - depends on the person really as far as how much water you will need and how much exercise you'll be doing. The Glen River flows through Donard at quite a pace and I've never been worried about drinking from it direct but some people will never touch water that hasn't been properly cleaned. Boiling obvously will clean it too - can be time consuming but isn't too bad if you stay organised.

Water weighs 1Kg per litre and so is quite heavy if you need to bring a good bit. Generally I'll bring a litre or so from home along with a foldable 2L water carrier from Platypus which I'll fill from a local water source and pop 2 water purification tabs in just to be sure.

I also have a Travel Tap which will clean the dirtiest water:
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product353.asp

This weekend I think we're going to have a pop at spit roasted spatchcock chicken for something a bit different!

Sounds good!  ;D

That was going to be my next question, what do you usually do for water? I've camped loads of times but never on a true wild camp, always in campsite with access to clean water.

How much water is reasonable to take for 2 ppl for a few hours walk and overnighter.

The only way i have to clean water is boiling!

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010 »

J's pretty much got it covered there andy. Since your only walking from the car park up to the forest food weight shouldn't really be an issue. Just bring what ever you think you'd like to eat its not the end of the world if you end up bringing it back down! I would recomend that you bring a few tea bags or some chocolate powder, just something for a hot drink. Its good before you go to bed and It can give you something to do if you get a bit bored!
As J says the river is fine for water and I've never had any quams drinking from it.

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010 »

good stuff lads!

are you just planning on walking up from the car park or doing a walk before camp?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010 »

Me and BillyBackpack and the kids are just walking straight up. Can't speak for anyone else though.

good stuff lads!

are you just planning on walking up from the car park or doing a walk before camp?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010 »

Plenty of people seem interested in sharing meals as well as having a pop at spit roasting something so a dedicated thread seems appropriate:

All make yourselves heard here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=896.0

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010 »

So if you're not travelling up with the group just watch for the brand new NI-Wild flag

Should make identification easier, plus now we can plunder if needs be!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010 »

I like it :D

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010 »

Hi J,

I'm going to be going too, so remember to send me the details of the campsite plzzzzz.

M

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010 »

No probs, I've pm'd you.

It's looking good - weather's looking fine and there's 12 of us going. Awesome!

Hi J,

I'm going to be going too, so remember to send me the details of the campsite plzzzzz.

M

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010 »

Raging I can't make this meet either, I have a stupid fundraising "a night at the races" to attend on Saturday night as part of the Venezuela preparations. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]