Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Poll

Please vote for your favourite "Stunning View" Photograph below

Entry 1
- 0 (0%)
Entry 2
- 1 (3.3%)
Entry 3
- 9 (30%)
Entry 4
- 2 (6.7%)
Entry 5
- 2 (6.7%)
Entry 6
- 5 (16.7%)
Entry 7
- 4 (13.3%)
Entry 8
- 2 (6.7%)
Entry 9
- 2 (6.7%)
Entry 10
- 0 (0%)
Entry 11
- 1 (3.3%)
Entry 12
- 0 (0%)
Entry 13
- 0 (0%)
Entry 14
- 1 (3.3%)
Entry 15
- 1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: June 09, 2011

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: MONTHLY PHOTO COMPETITION GALLERY - MAY 2011  (Read 28800 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: MONTHLY PHOTO COMPETITION GALLERY - MAY 2011
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2011 »

Your photo could be easily tidied up in photo editing software.
but i'm a purist! or maybe just a bit lazy  ::)
think outside, no box required

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2011 »

Your photo could be easily tidied up in photo editing software.
but i'm a purist! or maybe just a bit lazy  ::)

I used to say that as well... but truth told I just had "Photoshop Phobia" and didn't know what to do with all the buttons ;)  Mind you, I still don't know what the majority of the buttons do :D

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2011 »

This raises interesting points.  I think (at present) I'm against the notion using software to manipulate photos.  I'm sure this debate has done the rounds in many places. 

For a photograph to be complimented as "looking like CGI" seems odd to me.  Surely where CGI wants to get to is that it can produce images that are like what the eye or lens could see, not the other way round!  I can appreciate some of the effects used for arts-sake, but that is very different to what inspires me in an amazing photograph.  I've seen some photographs of sunsets that are so vivid in colour that I really don't believe they have ever been seen by anyone.  That goes too far for me, or at least goes into a whole different category, in the box with paintings that have been inspired by the painters imagination.  I like a photo to capture reality.

Errigal does lean to the left from that angle, Lenny took the picture straight.  I don't think he should have tilted his camera to get a straight photograph.  And if there are phone lines in the way....move to another place, otherwise by editing the lines out you are taking a picture of a stunning view that doesn't actually exist in real life, at least not from that exact location anyway.

By the way I'm not making any recommendations for the photo competiton here I'm just airing some thoughts on my own appreciation of what makes a good photograph.  I realise I'm possibly completely hypocritical as I've done things like take a picture in B&W, but for me there is a line, I struggle to define it but I know it when I feel it.  I realise that others differ in their opinions.  Feel free to air them.   
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2011 »

I feel its okay to photo manipulate to make a photo like you actually seen it.

I dont really feel for landscapes its okay to blow it out of the water and look too good.

Oh p.s all you photoshop fan boys, Adobe Lightroom is way better.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2011 »

Errigal does lean to the left from that angle, Lenny took the picture straight. 

Houses don't though.... tilting can be creative, or used to focus attention in a particular way, but unless obviously intended it just sits out of sorts and screws with the brain.

Documentary, pure creation, artistic licence... when done honestly I think all are valid in their place. This forum competition is one such place. If you want a pretty picture on your wall, you don't want power lines... if it's a crime scene photo, or photo-journalistic piece then they better be in there along with everything else.

Even saying something like, "it's ok to manipulate a photo to show what I saw at the time", is really quite open. Due to the way our brains interpret a scene in reality is part of why capturing a 2D still is so difficult... When Lenny looked at Errigal I'm pretty sure he didn't really factor the power lines at all in his impressions at the time, so Suspect's suggestion is still appropriate!

HDR is really a colour version of what Ansel Adams was doing with his prints way back... but being B&W to begin with was already abstract; so the effects were more easily accepted. It's an exciting tool but personally I like it like reverb and ketchup: whatever you think is enough is probably twice as much as it needs.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2011 »

If you are like me you'll need to google HDR.  Something tells me googling reverb and ketchup may be more difficult ;D

HDR pic
Non HDR pic
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011 by whoRya »

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2011 »

HDR is extremely subjective.  Personally if I am processing a photo as HDR I don't want people to know it's been done that way.  I want it to be subtle, rather than be the first thing that pops into the viewers head.  There are loads of people into the "Grunge" effect, but I just can't stomach it at all.  Each to their own though!

I think this is the only HDR image I have on my Flickr account:

Ballycopeland by jonpatterson, on Flickr

Oh p.s all you photoshop fan boys, Adobe Lightroom is way better.

I'm a big fan of Adobe Lightroom and would use it for most of my photo processing.  So much easier to manage your photos and work with RAW files without having to open them in Camera RAW before importing them into PS.  That said, it does have its limitations and beyond a standard workflow with a bit of cloning, dodging and burning it hasn't much else in the way of tools.  I do love the graduated filters though!  Speaking of which I just bought Photoshop CS5 the other day whilst I still have my student discount.  Very good prices on www.software4students.co.uk if you are eligible.  I also got Lightroom 3 through the Adobe Education Store at a good price.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2011 »

Nice!

Clever sod on the student software. I went with Aperture as it was cheaper for me but still well regarded.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2011 »

You know I've probably earned my course fees back three times over with student discount on software!  Microsoft are especially generous with their MSDN Academic Alliance and Dreamspark offerings, although its largely aimed at software development etc.

I had Aperture when I had my MacBook Pro and was very impressed with it.  Really liked it, but to be honest never dug too deeply into it as I already had Lightroom and couldn't be bothered learning another piece of software.  Definitely much better priced than Lightroom.  The only plus side with LR is that as far as I am aware there is no restriction on how many computers you can install it on.  I was at a camera club meeting with an Adobe Alpha tester and he basically said Adobes plan with the first few releases of LR are to turn a blind eye to people sharing it in the hope it will spread around and more people will use it.  Once people get hooked and the sales figures get up then it will revert back to a limited license.  Clever!

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2011 »

i got cs5 for nothing,anyone who pays that much for photo editing software is nuts,you gould get a decent camera for the price of cs5 .

also, there is much opinion on the rights and wrongs of photography but in the final analysis its simply up to wether or not YOU like the shot.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2011 »

I need to get Photoshop. a friend was going to get it for me but he seems to of gone into hiding.
No one goes inside to clear their head

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2011 »

pm me if you want to know how to get it for free.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2011 »

He's a knock-off Nigel, he's a knock-off Nigel. ;)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2011 »

anyone who pays that much for photo editing software is nuts,you gould get a decent camera for the price of cs5

The full price of Photoshop is prohibitively expensive for most people who aren't earning a living from their photography.  That said, I've no problem paying the money for the education version, as even at £160 I think it is well worth the money.  It's worth bearing in mind that if you are a student (or you have a child who is a student) or are an education employee you can likely avail of this edition, just check the eligibility info on their website.  I personally think £160 spent on Photoshop CS5 is much better than £160 spent on a cheap lens - and some people might argue the full £650 asking price for a standard licence of PS is still worth more than the equivalent in glass or camera bodies if you know how to use it.

Another part of the problem is that everyone feels that they have to own Photoshop.  At the risk of sounding hypocritical, it's not the only photo editing suite out there.  GIMP is a well featured image editor that probably rivals features found in earlier versions of PS that cost hundreds of pounds at the time... and its free.  For years I used a program called Paint Shop Pro.  Now I haven't used the newer editions by Corel, as it was made by a company called Jasc when I used it, but it is a great alternative to PS that costs less than £50.  Then you have the new breed of photo management software like Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Apple Aperture.  One stop shop for photo management and manipulation, and probably all the vast majority of photographers require especially if you aren't big into brushes, masks and layers.  Oh, and I nearly forgot Adobe Photoshop Elements which offers the most commonly used tools for photographers at a fraction of the cost.

So, whilst £650+ for the standard home edition of PS CS5 is too much of a stretch for most of our wallets, there are a lot of other options out there that will suit many people.  Oh, and most of the software I've linked to gives free 30 day trials, so you can probably get by with around 6 months of photo editing for free if you use them strategically ;)

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2011 »

all i want to do is set up a panoramic photo from loads of photos. A friend was going to install it for me but he has dissapered off the face of the earth and I have some great shots from Kili I want to mearge together.

As far as I know Photoshop is the best software for doing this.
No one goes inside to clear their head

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]