Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: staying safe in the mournes....  (Read 4652 times)

WildWesty

• Newbie Poster
staying safe in the mournes....
« on: February 23, 2012 »

I’m heading up the Mournes this weekend with the missus for one nights camp!!
I have walked all the big peaks before – but that was with a youth group I was in when younger.  !! 

I know the Mournes are a fairly safe mountain range but I was wondering if anyone could share their safety guidelines or rules of thumb when walking the mournes.   

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: staying safe in the mournes....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012 »

Basic safty measures should see you fine up there, as you said you are camping then i'd add in a couple of things.

1. Take a spare set of warm clothes, chances are you won't need them but if you don't have em you will need them.
2. Take new maps with you and know how to use them properly.
3. If possible take a GPS, yes it is only a second map to lug about but if the brown stuff finds the fan you can be sure something will stop you accurately using a map & compass.
4. Take a few bits of high energy food as backup, if something did go wrong and you had to get yourself out of there the extra calories can keep your mind sharp.
5. Let at least one person know where you are heading (grid ref if possible) and when you will be back. Most folk who actually need help can't raise the alarm for themselves.
6. Charge your phones to full before going and keep them on silent etc without using them unless absolutely essential.

Most if not all of that is simple common sense but you only have to look at some poor sod who dies of exposure or such out on the hills and you see they always fail to meet one or more of those points.

7. Most important of all..... have fun.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012 »

All good advice above,also maybe just go of the beaten track,camping somewhere like Annalong woods or along the Trassey track,try not to venture too far from camp,the weather can change in minutes,but above all enjoy!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012 »

let someone responsible (i.e. not your kid brother who's about to go on a stag weekend  ;D ) know your planned route and estimated time of return and a "call for help" time

stick to established routes in the mournes, don't take shortcuts, if it was quicker, there would be a path there  ::) 

bring a whistle which you can reach easily in an emergency such as hanging upside down on the end of a rope (6 blasts for help)

bring a shape knife  (ask aron ralston!)

think outside, no box required

WildWesty

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012 »

Cheers for the advice guys!! Cant wait to use all the gear i have built up over the winter!!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012 »

I think it is worthwhile to have a good look over your map before you go, following your route and imaging how it will look when you get there.  Key features like rivers, walls and big changes in the countour lines should be obvious.  Then when you are out on the walk you can keep your map close and 'tick' them off.  It helps when visibility is poor if you come across features you had anticipated.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012 by whoRya »
"Not all those who wander are lost."

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012 »

Stay away from the sheep, you dont want them thinking you want to be friends

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]