Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Kayak advice  (Read 2626 times)

Savage Parrot

• Newbie Poster
Kayak advice
« on: September 01, 2012 »

Folks

At the end of the month I am going to complete my BCU Star 2 Award, after this I am looking to buy a Kayak so I can get some experience, I intend to initially specialize in inland water and surf with a view to getting my Level 1 coaching and progressing onto my Star 3.  Really I am looking for some advice on what sort of Kayak I should be looking to buy, bearing in mind I'm just over six foot and lets just say I like my grub!!  So I need one that floats well!

Any advice on a make/style of boat I should be looking at and also if anyone has any thoughts on where I could go or who I could join to gain some experience I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

SP

FlapJack

• Top Poster
Re: Kayak advice
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012 »

Hi Savage, i am a member of The Foyle Paddlers, the contact details and forms for membership can be found on.  http://www.foylepaddlersisfun.net/

we are based in the North West so it depends on where you live, am sure there are other members here with a suggestion on a club in your area.

Joining a club will give you experience, tuition, gear, gear advice, loads of people are willing to help and of the same mind set.  I was going to buy my own kayak until i joined the club, but now i will wait.  You can really take this time to test out each discipline before committing to your own purchases.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012 by FlapJack »
“It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.”

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012 »

I'm a member of http://www.lisburncitypaddlers.co.uk/, they will give you sound advice on what type of boat to purchase and will even let you try out one of their boats.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012 »

H Savage the best thing you could do is join a club near you. I'm also a member of Lisburn City Paddlers we mostly do whitewater and surf which your looking for. Through the club i've achieved my level one coaching and 3 star award hopefully doing my 4 star before the end of the year.
As i said earlier join your local club, get advice and try out club members boats to see which one would suit your needs. If you have any other questions give me a shout and i'll try to guide you to whats right for your future goals

Colin  ;D

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]