Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mourne Heritage Trust Path Work in the mournes  (Read 14518 times)

Samm

• Top Poster
Re: Mourne Heritage Trust Path Work in the mournes
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012 »

Thinking about this even more now,this mountain have been here for thousands of years,why now to we have to be improving them!something to think about ???

I may be lynched for the ecology view, but sure here goes! Ignoring for the purposes of this that the Mournes should naturally be woodland, it's now predominantly heathland (dry, wet and summit heaths) and blanket bog.  There are a few other habitat types up there, but it's mainly heath and bog.  They are so incredibly rare as good quality habitat that the Mournes is recognised as being of European importance for these habitats. These are incredibly fragile habitats.  Erosion is a big problem.  Predominantly this erosion is caused by us, me included!  There are paths criss crossing all over the Mournes and over time these paths get wider and wider because we all walk to the edge to avoid the wet bits.  So path building is not about better access, it's just about trying to ensure that we get to enjoy the Mournes and that the habitats get to flourish.  In a way it is about 'improving them', but by them it's the habitats that are trying to be improved, not the mountains themselves.  We should be so proud to have some of the best examples of bogs and heaths in Europe as our playground.

As for the bridge, that sounds to me like a case of health and safety gone mad!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012 »

As the Glen River route is the most popular in the Mournes i'm all for improving it as long as the finished article looks nice, but i'm not keen on the bridge on the Bloody Bridge path (see here http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2492.msg26200#msg26200 )  I do think they should limit the amount of paths they upgrade (lack of funding will see to that) but what i would like to see is some way of marking routes, this would actually keep people on the correct paths in the more obscure parts of the Mournes.

I'm still up for the railway though  ;D  think about it, build it up Thomas or Millstone Mountain, how many of us actually ever walk those ways (only once for myself) and you still have 2 good walking routes up Donard where you can't even see the railway. Which is similar to Snowdon, walk up the other side and all you see is a very tasteful cafe at the top, which sells beer too  ::) .
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012 by LandyLiam »
think outside, no box required

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012 »

but what i would like to see is some way of marking routes, this would actually keep people on the correct paths in the more obscure parts of the Mournes.

Couldn't disagree more! Any kind of waymarking just encourages people into areas that they have neither the experience or kit to deal with. In a 'when I rule the world' kind of way I'd have a bouncer at every access point to the Mournes and before anyone was allowed in they'd have to prove they had a map and a compass and knew how to use them!! Fairly sure my world ruling days aren't ever going to come to pass though, so I think everyone's safe enough from my rules :)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012 »

but what i would like to see is some way of marking routes, this would actually keep people on the correct paths in the more obscure parts of the Mournes.

Doesn't that go against conventional wisdom, on two counts?  If people are relying on marker posts then you'd be creating problems for yourself.  Secondly in the more obscure places (where there is much less footfall), if people take different routes and don't keep to the path then the environmental impact is lessened.  I'm never lost I'm just reducing errosion on the beaten track ;) 

I'm still up for the railway though
  NEVER, NEVERRR, NEVERRRRRRRRRR
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012 »

if people take different routes and don't keep to the path then the environmental impact is lessened.

i thought that was the problem, people widening the path, its inevitable that a path will be created, but the markers would limit that to one path  ???  great topic this for a campfire discussion  ;D

and when i say markers i don't mean unsightly concrete posts, maybe something simple like a plaque on an existing rock (as has been done on the bloody bridge track) or maybe something really adventurous like a serious of tasteful sculptures depicting the history of the mournes, like the bogie cart they have on the granite trail, or how about a statue of saint domangard on donard ?

wee gaz

• Top Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012 »

a statue of Paisley saying NEVER on the site of the pub you want on the top of Donard    or    statues of ft. ted saying down with that sort of thing and careful now. see what you ve started now Samm

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012 »

i don't think i could enjoy my pint of the devils buttermilk with paisley looking over my shoulder  :o maybe it could be one of those speaking statues that just contantly says NEVER, maybe not a good idea to have a speaking father jack statue though  ;D

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012 »

Daithi, your friend doesn't go by the name of B**c* C*** by any chance?

Yes, the same guy. I don't think he is on this forum. He is on www.mountainviews.ie forum. I also know him from the Wee Binnians. I don't always agree with his view as he can be controversial, in my opinion. This discussion came from Facebook. Nice guy, though..

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2012 »

....  There are a few other habitat types up there, but it's mainly heath and bog.  They are so incredibly rare as good quality habitat that the Mournes is recognised as being of European importance for these habitats. These are incredibly fragile habitats.  Erosion is a big problem.  Predominantly this erosion is caused by us, me included!  There are paths criss crossing all over the Mournes and over time these paths get wider and wider because we all walk to the edge to avoid the wet bits.  So path building is not about better access, it's just about trying to ensure that we get to enjoy the Mournes and that the habitats get to flourish.  In a way it is about 'improving them', but by them it's the habitats that are trying to be improved, not the mountains themselves.  We should be so proud to have some of the best examples of bogs and heaths in Europe as our playground.

As for the bridge, that sounds to me like a case of health and safety gone mad!

That is the point I was trying to make. It is not for the "Fatty Americans" but for like minded people like ourselves. Unfortunately or fortunately, this is a popular sport and it is important to manage the popular routes. I do not want to see unprepared people in their Sunday best walking these routes. The paths have to be wild looking and not like the American trails.

Mournelive

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012 »

Footbridge at Glen Fofanny River, Bloody Bridge

Mourne Heritage Trust has noted comments on the new footbridge has been installed over the Glen Fofanny River above Bloody Bridge and felt that it may be useful to provide some detail on the rationale for the works.

The bridge is on a route used by walkers from Bloody Bridge Car Park to the Bog of Donard and Brandy Pad.  It is located where a smaller bridge had been washed away a number of years ago, since when walkers have crossed using stepping stones.

The site lies within boundary fences, above which lies open mountain owned by private mountain trustees.  This is an important grazing resource for upland sheep. The site and wider upland is within the Eastern Mournes Special Area of Conservation (a European level of habitat protection) and Area of Special Scientific Interest, important for its heathland landscape. The rivers are also important habitats and are sensitive to sediment loading that may result from path and habitat erosion.

The number of people using the site for recreation has increased dramatically over recent years and as a result informal paths have developed across the heathland which can causes erosion, damage to the protected heather and peat soils, and disturbance to livestock and wildlife.

Mourne Heritage Trust has worked closely with the National Trust, Mountain Trustees and NI Environment Agency (who funded the project) to mitigate current and future impact. The approach has been to encourage users to follow the old quarry track as the main route to the high Mournes. Repairs were made in places to address severe erosion and an information panel and granite waymarkers was installed to inform users.

However, a major factor raised with us was that walkers were unable to use the preferred route at many times due to the fact that the Glen Fofanny River crossing point was impassable at high water flows. Moreover, it wasn’t clear where the main route was through the site. As a result, fences on the private lands were being significantly damaged, livestock were escaping onto the public road and paths were causing wider habitat erosion.

Therefore it was decided collectively among stakeholders – and most importantly the owners of these lands - that a bridge should be erected. The bridge was designed to be more robust than the previous one that had been washed away and given that it was located within the lower fenced land as opposed to open mountain as well as being close to the pipeline, the design was deemed to be appropriate. The bridge has been adopted by the National Trust, which now manages it as part of their site.

For more information please contact:

Tel: 028 4372 4059
Email: mht@mourne.co.uk   
Our volunteering site is: www.activelifestyles.org

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012 »

I walked down the Glen river path on Saturday and thought it looked like an eyesore.. The amount of trees that have been pulled out to make way for the digger and large boulders is a tragedy.
A walking group from Dublin were walking down the path and complained about the uneven ground and the state of the area. If the path is to stop erosion then it's not working as walkers are veering off the path to take pressure off their knees.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012 »

thanks for the update mournelive, good to see you're listening (any word on my statue and train yet??)

A walking group from Dublin were walking down the path and complained about the uneven ground
but mountains aren't supposed to be flat  ::)

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012 »

I know that..

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012 »

i've just seen a few recent pics and now know what you mean  :)   maybe judgement is best left til the work is completed, and then wait a few more years til its blended in  8)
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]