Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Mourne mountain panorama voted UK’s best view  (Read 3475 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

The jagged mountains forming one of the backdrops to hit fantasy series Game Of Thrones have been voted the UK’s best view, according to a major survey.

Around one third of people surveyed by The Countryman magazine voted for the mountains of Mourne in County Down, Northern Ireland, where parts of the show were filmed.

The granite mountain range also inspired author C S Lewis as he wrote his children’s book series The Chronicles of Narnia.

The glimpse of Snowdonia from the summit of Snowdon was the second most popular view, with 16 per cent of the vote, while striking sights in the Isle of Skye, Lake District and Pembrokeshire made the top five.

Alan Titchmarsh also revealed his favourite view was over the Yorkshire Dales town where he grew up.

The former Gardeners’ World presenter said: “The view from the Cow and Calf rocks on Ilkley Moor, over the town below, will always remain my favourite view.

“I grew up in this Dales town, and the view reminds me of how lucky I was to grow up in such a wonderful part of the country.

“Moors, woods and riverside were my childhood playground, and I cherish the time I spend there.”

The Countryman editor, Mark Whitley, said: “For nearly 90 years The Countryman has celebrated the best of the British countryside, whether it’s our spectacular coastline, wild and windswept uplands, rugged peaks or pastoral scenes.

“We wanted the nation to help us celebrate our natural treasures by choosing Britain’s best view.

“We were amazed by the response, and the passion that people expressed for their favourites. The results demonstrate the extraordinary diversity of landscapes and scenery across the length and breadth of Britain.”

The top five views as voted in The Countryman magazine’s survey are:

Mountains of Mourne from the shoreline near Tyrella, County Down

Snowdonia from the summit of Snowdon

Old Man of Storr, Isle of Skye

Wastwater, Lake District

Marloes, St Brides Bay, Pembrokeshire

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/northern-ireland-news/mourne-mountain-panorama-voted-uk-s-best-view-1-7226159

Peter Walker

• Newbie Poster
Re: Mourne mountain panorama voted UK’s best view
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016 »

I know it's all deeply subjective, blah blah blah...but dear lord that is a horrendously conservative list they picked from. Not so much the 'UK's best view' as 'the best view that's right next to a road, apart from the one that's right next to a train'.

The Mournes are quite nice though, aren't they?  ;)

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
Re: Mourne mountain panorama voted UK’s best view
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016 »

Maybe I am biased, but I would place the Mournes right at the top of the list.
I find it to have some of the most calming, restorative views I have ever seen.
So much so, that I keep a photo of Annalong Valley pinned up at my desk.

Any time I feel like I want to beat the living crap out of someone, I turn to the right, gaze a few seconds at the photo, take a deep breath and compose myself. That view has saved lives.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016 by Ed »
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]