Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Nature Dump  (Read 4814 times)

Doonabel

• Newbie Poster
Nature Dump
« on: February 21, 2018 »

Ok, so let’s get one thing straight, I am talking dogs not humans!  :o  What determines a ‘nature dump’? In other words when do you pick up your dog’s poop and when to leave it to ‘nature’?  My husband and I share different views, I am the kind to want to pick it up even if we are in the centre of the Mournes, 12 miles from civilisation, down the side of a steep slope, Doonabel is prepared to get the black bag out.  However, my husband’s views, if it’s off the pathway (in the Mournes) or at the seas edge, “the tide will be in to take it away!” then it’s a nature dump.  Don’t get me wrong, we are responsible dog owners, if it’s in the park, on the footpath, around the town, in the way or ‘in sight’ then its picked up, but what really constitutes as a nature dump?
I remember a while ago whilst out walking our Yorkshire Terrier with 2 of my, then younger, kids, Suki left a small deposit on a coastal footpath, before I knew it this elderly lady walked up with a dog scoop in hand and proceeded to lift said deposit, I thought ‘oh my goodness, how kind, this lady is going to dispose of this poo for me’ and as quick as my thought entered my head, with a swift flick of her wrist she flung the said poo into the sea and rocks below us and said ‘well that got rid of that!’, we actually didn’t know where to look.
So, what is the etiquette on disposing of dog poo in rural areas? 

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Re: Nature Dump
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018 »

I think if you just use a bit of common sense ie if it's out of the way it can stay that way but in the winter I always bag it nice and tight stick it in your pocket or down your gloves and hey presto warm hands all day   :D :D :D
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Doonabel

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018 »

Eh..thanks for the advice Glenn B, but I think I'll stick to thermal gloves to keep the hands warm lol.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018 »

:) :) :) :) :) :)
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018 »

I suppose the bigger question is how long does it take poo to biodegrade naturally. While the Mournes are wild and remote, Northern Ireland is a small place and the Mournes are the best mountains we have so while parts of it might seem well off the path, you never know when someone might turn up in the middle of the night wanting to pitch a tent :) However, on the other side, the Mournes are full of sheep and there's generally poo everywhere anyway!
My thought is it's better to just pick it all up and throw it in the bin. It's not like it's hard to do and it just means less crap around for people to accidentally stumble in.

AnthonyGu

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018 »

That's probably the nicest thing to do. Regarding the poo biodegrading, I guess it heavily depends on the weather. Sometimes a couple of days and sometimes a couple of weeks.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]