Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: First time camping trip  (Read 8119 times)

GRAHAMR32

• Newbie Poster
First time camping trip
« on: June 24, 2010 »

Hi all, I've started a new topic here to request some help and information. I'm trying to plan a first camping trip , planning on takin my 2 dogs and possibly the girlfriend. Never camped before but really want to get out and enjoy the good weather. I wanted to go somewhere in Donegal around the coast, pitch the tent and do some shore/rock fishing and if catch anything try some camp fire cooking. I've only my fishing gear so need a good tent , maybe a 3 man , and need to organise essential equipment. So if anyone could offer some hints and tips on both equipment and or camping spots please let me know...

MG1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: First time camping trip
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010 »

Hi Mate

The Vango banshee are pretty good tents to start with. J and billybackpack have them they could give you more details on them.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

ChuckMcB

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010 »

Welcome GRAHAMR32

As far as the kit's concerned, unless you're loaded, start with the cheapy stuff (Millets, TKmaxx, even Tescos/Sainsburys) then replace it with same/better as you feel the need...but splash out on a good sleeping bag for the GF & disposable hand/feet warmers (females sleep colder at night)...again life's soooo much easier if they are kept warm  ;D (15 years married and counting)

Top hint: do a dummy run somewhere local (even in the back garden) without the dogs....and definitely without the lady ;D (unless you end up with a tent that needs two people to put up) She'll thank you (ha!) to be able to get the tent up and some warm food on the go quickly.

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010 »

If heading to Donegal head for meelmore head , as your heading done the hill you will see beach on your left , just at bottom of hill you can see where cars have made a track on left hand side park there , right beside beach no one will annoy ya lovely walks around coast , your tent and car etc safe , need anymore info let me know as I have caravan up there

Also the fishing is good , walk through caravan park and you can fish at light house for pollack collie and mackies nice and sheltered also , or if not too much swell head up and over down onto very tip of the head and fish right hand side ,left hand side weedy but if going plz keep an eye on the swell as it can change very quickly ,
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010 by andy »
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

GRAHAMR32

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010 »

is that melmore head, around the atlantic drive ?  think i know it , my grandparents lived near carrigart so been in car round atlantic drive but never walked it.  is there not quiicksand on them beaches, or so i was always told lol.  is it near where the youth hostel is/was?  Thats ehere I was plannin on going, its only an hour and half from where I live. 
So i need a tent, couple good sleeping bags, a decent camping stove , pots pans, bottles water.  looking forward to buying stuff so all suggestions welcome. 
And can unearth all my spinners and weights for the fishing rod. 

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010 »

That's the one :) it's at the very end of that road lovely up round there and you should know where the pubs are , when you thinking of heading up ..

I have been going up for over 30years and not found any quicksand but if I do I might take the wife for a walk  ;D
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010 »

Welcome Graham.

I suppose the most important thing is how far you will have to walk with your gear. If you're camped beside your car then you can take allsorts but if you have to walk a few miles then it will seriously change your choice of gear as you'll have to carry it.

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010 »

You can pick up cheap mess tins and camping stools for a pound in each - in the B & M stlye pound stores, so maybe check them out first.

Theres a shop called Mountain Warehouse in Antrim - maybe other places - its a big chain. it has cheap gear and its good to get started tho quality isn't great.

But, go Pound Store First !

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010 »

get down to cotswold ;) 20% off all camping stuff when you buy a tent. you could get sorted for around £50 no probs.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010 »

get down to cotswold ;) 20% off all camping stuff when you buy a tent. you could get sorted for around £50 no probs.

And according to the Belfast Telegraph, Cotswold are having a "Belfast Tent Show" this weekend were you can see "a range of tents pitched all in one location with advice from our expert staff".

PS: I don't work for Cotwold ;)

PPS: Chris, I assume you aren't giving expert advice on tents at the weekend?!  After all, any time I see you camping you're just curled up in a ball beside the fire without a tent in sight ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010 »

Chris is the official Cotswold advisor on Sleeping where you've fallen.

And according to the Belfast Telegraph, Cotswold are having a "Belfast Tent Show" this weekend were you can see "a range of tents pitched all in one location with advice from our expert staff".

PS: I don't work for Cotwold ;)

PPS: Chris, I assume you aren't giving expert advice on tents at the weekend?!  After all, any time I see you camping you're just curled up in a ball beside the fire without a tent in sight ;D

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010 »

I may not use a tent often but that doesn't mean I don't know about them! Its all hydrostatic head and DAC poles these days.

GRAHAMR32

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010 »

Mike I defo shall try out the store in Antrim , was in once before left empty handed, good sense prevailed or else I'd a been proud owner of stuff I'd never use!!
Andy I went round Atlantic drive today to check out the possible fishin campin places, found tra na rossen beach then the caravan park nut road narrowed into a track.... Should I have driven on to place u mentioned?  Found loads a fishin spots so even might drive up for a days fishin and stay at a house near crqnford my family own. But camping would be more fun!!!!!  Thanks one And all for your help, just have to see if I can actually get camping now!!!!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]