Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: question about gas  (Read 15590 times)

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
Re: question about gas
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009 »

If you want proper versitility, then go for the Primus Omnifuel. gas, petrol, diesel, kerosene etc etc etc.

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009 »

If you want proper versitility, then go for the Primus Omnifuel. gas, petrol, diesel, kerosene etc etc etc.

To be honest I'm still really happy to the trangia and only really want a gas stove as a back up if like this weekends mourne wall trip where I'm pretty sure that the weather will not be on our side I can pack the gas stove and be sure that if its raining cats and dogs I can still get a brew on and get enough hot water to "cook" some cous cous all for the comfort of my tents porch.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009 »

The pocket rocket and alpkit titanium pot have been my choice for quite a while now, a brilliant light combination for water boiling.  The only addition is an MSR foil windshield.  Although a windshield and a screw on gas cooker are a very dangerous combination and not advisable to use.  For longer trips I have just got myself a primus gravity (http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3335).  This means I can use the windshield in windy conditions worry free.  I have not tested it extensively but hope to next week.

FFS, I had settled on getting an Eta Express but the Primus Gravity looks a better all rounder. I'm not bothered by carrying a few hundred extra grams if it means I can have a cooking system for 1 or more, all year round.

do you mind If I ask why your moving away from your jetboil?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009 »

The pocket rocket and alpkit titanium pot have been my choice for quite a while now, a brilliant light combination for water boiling.  The only addition is an MSR foil windshield.  Although a windshield and a screw on gas cooker are a very dangerous combination and not advisable to use.  For longer trips I have just got myself a primus gravity (http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3335).  This means I can use the windshield in windy conditions worry free.  I have not tested it extensively but hope to next week.

FFS, I had settled on getting an Eta Express but the Primus Gravity looks a better all rounder. I'm not bothered by carrying a few hundred extra grams if it means I can have a cooking system for 1 or more, all year round.

do you mind If I ask why your moving away from your jetboil?

You can't really cook easily on the Jetboil, only boil water.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009 »

you can get 2 different sized pots as far as i'm aware a 1.5lt and a 3lt. surley you could cook away on that? I'm just trying to figure out why you seem to be swyaed by the eta system when the jetboil seems to be a very, if not more versitile set overall. dont get me wrong I'm not telling you how to spend your money its just that everyone I know with a jetboil praises it to death but when it comes down to it none of them really seem that fussed with it.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009 »

you can get 2 different sized pots as far as i'm aware a 1.5lt and a 3lt. surley you could cook away on that? I'm just trying to figure out why you seem to be swyaed by the eta system when the jetboil seems to be a very, if not more versitile set overall. dont get me wrong I'm not telling you how to spend your money its just that everyone I know with a jetboil praises it to death but when it comes down to it none of them really seem that fussed with it.

The Jetboil has a flame very focused in the centre so the middle of the pot is roasting and the outsides are cold. I've cooked sausages on it before and it was a bit of a mess (I have the pot conversion). Plus when you put a pot into the mix it doesn't pack very well.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009 »

ah right. I'm just interested to see what people think of them, I'm still tempted by the reactor but just for the reason that i'm a gear freak! have you looked at the jetboil helios at all?
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]