Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 95 Mile West Highland Way Endurance Race  (Read 7960 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: 95 Mile West Highland Way Endurance Race
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013 »

just been reading a blog on it
http://whwrunner.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/race-directors-story-2013-west-highland.html

would love to hear your story Craig, what goes through your mind to keep you going?
think outside, no box required

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013 »

http://whwrunner.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/race-directors-story-2013-west-highland.html

would love to hear your story Craig, what goes through your mind to keep you going?

You'll be sorry you asked! Here's the story (novel) of the race itself. I'll do another post about gear, reflections, etc tomorrow.

Basically there's nothing going through my mind most of the time. Questioning things and thinking ahead tends to give me anxiety... "too many mind. No mind" (Last Samurai). I just make choices related to pre-arranged goals, then keep going. After the near total breakdown, my sub-23 and sub-24 hour goals were gone. All I had left was undefined 'finish', so once I chose to start moving again at each checkpoint all there was...was not falling over. Given that that is pretty instinctual, I didn't have to think about anything. Occasionally, I had to 'think' to eat and drink, or think to look at the scenery and remember it. If pain gets worse or your condition worsens you obviously have to do something about it, but if it stays the same then you are already coping with it and can continue to do so. Of course, you can stop at any time, but as the Buddha says... desire leads to suffering... and I desired a crystal goblet for my efforts  ;)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013 »

You'll be sorry you asked! Here's the story (novel) of the race itself. I'll do another post about gear, reflections, etc tomorrow.

Basically there's nothing going through my mind most of the time. Questioning things and thinking ahead tends to give me anxiety... "too many mind. No mind" (Last Samurai). I just make choices related to pre-arranged goals, then keep going. After the near total breakdown, my sub-23 and sub-24 hour goals were gone. All I had left was undefined 'finish', so once I chose to start moving again at each checkpoint all there was...was not falling over. Given that that is pretty instinctual, I didn't have to think about anything. Occasionally, I had to 'think' to eat and drink, or think to look at the scenery and remember it. If pain gets worse or your condition worsens you obviously have to do something about it, but if it stays the same then you are already coping with it and can continue to do so. Of course, you can stop at any time, but as the Buddha says... desire leads to suffering... and I desired a crystal goblet for my efforts  ;)

amazing words mate !!
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
95 Mile West Highland Way Endurance Race
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013 »

Fair play, gonna read the blog later over a coffee as it sounds like an epic one. 
Respect.

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013 »

I remember as some point, post 70 miles, I said to Craig, "I'm not trying to put ideas into your head, but can you do the remaining miles?" and he said, "I've come this far I'm not giving up now". 

I witnessed the most amazing display of willpower...  it was an experience to observe it and something i'll never forget.

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013 »

Just read your blog, outstanding effort. Respect!

GMB

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013 »

Well done Craig, absolutely fantastic! Time to rest now mate and appreciate what you have accomplished....................and start looking for the next challenge :-)

I'll have a read at the blog 2moz.
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]