Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: new foot bridge in the mournes  (Read 5093 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
new foot bridge in the mournes
« on: October 03, 2011 »

New Foot Bridge at Glen Fofanny River, Bloody Bridge

http://www.mournelive.com/news/news/viewdetails.asp?newsID=523

A new footbridge to improve access is to span the Glen Fofanny River as it joins the Bloody Bridge River approximately 1km west along the National Trust path from the Bloody Bridge. The works will be carried out from 3 – 14 October 2011. See the attached map, Plate 1 and design drawing.

The project is being developed by Mourne Heritage Trust in partnership with the National Trust and private landowners, and is made possible by NIEA funding via the Mourne Access Ranger Project.

The site forms part of a route that is heavily used as access to the Bloody Bridge River and beyond to the Mourne Wall, Brandy Pad, Slieve Donard, Leganabruchan etc. A small bridge occupied the same site years ago but is no longer there which means users cross using stepping stones. At high water flow this route is inaccessible and users would follow the north bank of the Glen Fofanny River to access the open countryside.

The new bridge will allow users to stay on the path that leads to the Bloody Bridge quarry track as the main route to the above sites. The quarry track was upgraded last year to provide easier access and to reduce erosion on the open heathland, which is designated as a Special Area of Conservation and an Area of Special Scientific Interest. It also reduces impact on grazing land and disturbance of livestock by dogs.

personally i would have just dropped a few bigger boulders in the river  ::)
think outside, no box required

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
Re: new foot bridge in the mournes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011 »

The Mourne Heritage Trust are doing a lot of work in the Mournes lately. The path up on the north side of Binnian has re surfuced. They used diggers, helicopters and mannual labour. While we might have objection to using machinery, it was the best solution. The path is very good...

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011 »

I've no objection to them using machinery to make nice paths for me to walk on   :)

ChuckMcB

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011 »

Made me a little sad to see that wee river crossing replaced with a bridge (hopefully they will give it a bit of a paint), but it's the right thing to do. The Glen Fofanny River can get a bit mad in heavy rain (anyone remember crossing it on the Plod 2011?) making it tough to cross and Farmer Brown was getting fed up with folks walking down their 'private' lane to the road when it was too dangerous to cross.

Spud

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011 »

That river is a bugger when the water is high! Maybe when it weathers a bit it will blend in a bit more!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011 »

it does look very out of place, like somethingf from a crazy golf course! it would have looked a bit better with the sloping edges as in the artists impression, also chunkier wood would have been nicer, but i'm sure i'll be glad of it when i next head that way  :)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011 »

i think i know whats wrong now, the hand rails! why does it need them? you can't apply all those health & safety rules to the mountains as in normal life, live life on the edge and walk across a bridge without handrails  :)

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011 »

Yeah I agree Liam, it looks totally out of place and looks unsightly.. Looks like there was an offer in B&Q for cheap plywood..

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Paul72

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011 »

Nothing wrong with the hand rails IMHO, they're something to lean on when playing Pooh sticks!
 ;D
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]