Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: a quick jaunt up Donard today  (Read 4975 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
a quick jaunt up Donard today
« on: January 30, 2011 »

As the weather was damn near perfect today i thought i'd take a quick spin up to the Mournes, maybe to Meelmore. As i got closer to Newcastle the clouds were parting so i thought i'd have yet another go at the boring old Glen River path up to Donard, but i'd see how fast i could do it just walking at a brisk pace (with only the occasional photo stop - excuse for a breather  8) )

cold in the shade

steps were a bit icy

nice contrast from the saddle

sunny again, actually walked up in a t shirt from here

slieve bearnagh with the zoom lens

another zoom, devils coachroad

first time in years i've seen the summit before i got there!

sunbathing, note i was wearing jeans and trainers  ;D

playing with the camera settings - film grain used here

Newcastle from the lower cairn (first time i'd been here) note the shadow of donard

the summit from the lower cairn

a nice wee bivvy spot - forgot to orientate it  :'(

more playing with camera settings, but my light saber got in the way  ;D

I managed to get up in 1hr 25mins, have done better but that was without the treachorous icy staircase. Jogged down about half the way in 53mins but fell a couple of times in the forest and have 2 sore knees to show for it  :'( , my goal this summer is to get up and down in 1hr 30  :o
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011 by LandyLiam »
think outside, no box required

CaptainRocky

• Newbie Poster
    • Queens University Caving Club
Re: a quick jaunt up Donard today
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011 »

Some beautiful shots there, fantastic!
Down with this sort of thing!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011 »

thanks captain caveman

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011 »

Loved the shot with film grain.

Send me a copy please. If you are ok with that. Gonna put it as my screen saver.
No one goes inside to clear their head

darren

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011 »

thanks captain caveman

great pics liam.

you must have pulled out of the caving trip at the last minute mate.
snowy mountains always makes for good pics on a clear day.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011 »

Newcastle from the lower cairn (first time i'd been here) note the shadow of donard

I wish there was a sign post at the top of Donard pointing folks towards the lower cairn, I've seen sooo many people just sitting against the wall with their soup..then heading back down along the wall...to me the summit is an anti-climax, the view of Newcastle/Dundrum/Murlough Bay from the lower cairn (on a clear day) is the most rewarding part of doing Donard.

Great pics, thanks for posting.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011 »

I honestly don't think I've been to the lower cairn.

I wish there was a sign post at the top of Donard pointing folks towards the lower cairn, I've seen sooo many people just sitting against the wall with their soup..then heading back down along the wall...to me the summit is an anti-climax, the view of Newcastle/Dundrum/Murlough Bay from the lower cairn (on a clear day) is the most rewarding part of doing Donard.

Great pics, thanks for posting.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011 »

I wish there was a sign post at the top of Donard pointing folks towards the lower cairn, I've seen sooo many people just sitting against the wall with their soup

i was chatting to a guy on the summit and i said i was going to the lower cairn and he said he'd join me and have his lunch there, when i was half way i looked around and he was sitting on the upper cairn with his sandwiches out, he mustn't have realised there was another cairn and probably wondered why i had kept walking ???  the mournes really do need some more signage, its almost as people don't want tourists  ::)

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011 »

I don't think I'd want a lot of signage up the Mournes.  Using a map is part of the fun and is what should be encouraged.  I think signs saying "The Castles, this way" etc. would take away from it.  The Brandy Pad should be learnt by looking around and navigating your way, not by being signposted there.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011 »

Funnily enough I've never seen the castles, either its been too foggy when I've walked past them or I've forgot to make a detour to go looking for them.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011 »

I don't think I'd want a lot of signage up the Mournes.  Using a map is part of the fun and is what should be encouraged.  I think signs saying "The Castles, this way" etc. would take away from it.  The Brandy Pad should be learnt by looking around and navigating your way, not by being signposted there.

Yep, gotta agree.  I feel we need to preserve the few wild places we have remaining as surely part of the reason we head for the hills is to escape such trappings of modern society.  Mind you with a granite wall running over the main summits, and never being far from a man-made reservoir, perhaps the Mournes lost their true wildness a long time ago ;)

It's quite a topical subject though as plans to put signage on Munro summits were recently scrapped (thankfully!).  Perhaps the solution is to put better information boards in the main car parks such as Donard Car Park.  They could point out areas of interest to encourage people to explore some of the lesser known areas.  There is also the risk that signage could make people complacent about the need to know how to use a map and compass...  That said, I've never been to the lower cairn on Donard ;)

Great photos Liam, totally forgot to post on this thread, looks like it was a great day out.  1hr 30min up and down would be impressive! 

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]