Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: mysterious blue flashes  (Read 3513 times)

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
mysterious blue flashes
« on: November 29, 2010 »

In the early hour of Saturday morning (around 00:30 27/11/2010) I was just about to go to bed and found myself looking out my living room window.  Some blue flashes caught my eye like a camera flash.  There were two flashes in quick succession like a flicker and they were an unmistakable deep blue colour.  They appeared to be as bright as fireworks being set off about 5 miles away. They came from the horizon in a direction exactly south.  My position is just southsoutheast(ish) of Ballymena.

Yesterday a friend asked me what the blue flashes were that he saw on Friday night /Saturday morning.  He described the same two flashes at the same time.  Except for him they were quite bright and lit up quite an area of the sky.  Again, they were observed on the horizon.  For him they were form the southeast. He is near Katesbridge. He expected thunder but heard nothing.  And he was surprised by the deep blue colour of the flashes.

My thinking is that it was lightning.  It could have been high up in the Mournes.  Is it possible that the clear high pressure air meant that I could see the lightning from Ballymena?  Did anybody else see this?  Did anybody near the Mournes hear anything?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: mysterious blue flashes
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010 »

sounds, i mean looks  ::) like lightning, light can travel a long way (i.e. the stars) but sound doesn't go that far (i.e. my wife says i can't hear her from the other side of the room)
think outside, no box required

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010 »

Something hitting powerlines (tree/plastic balloon etc) could cause an extensive blue flash - worth checking if there was any power cuts in the area. If not, lightning (without the storm/rain) sounds the most likely or sheet lightning (which occurs when lightning flashes are obscured by clouds although this is usually white)

I personally think it would have been lightening although it could have been Santa making an early flyby  ;)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010 »

I just spoke to a colleague who saw blue lightning on the same night but in the very early hours (around 3am).  She heard thunder with it and remarked on the deep blue colour.  The colour is most likely due to everywhere on the ground being so snow covered.  The coolest thing is the distance over which both my friend and I saw the same lightning.  The reflection off the ground and the high pressure air must have been the reason for the distance.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010 »

Oh... and on the Travis Album, The Man Who, there is a hidden track which kicks in about 3 minutes after the end of the last track called "Blue Flashing Light" Also quite mysterious  ;D
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010 »

There were lightning storms forecast so it seems the most logical explanation.

Lightning storms over snow covered mountains... now that would make for an interesting photograph!

PS: Love the slight change to the avatar Liam ;)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]