Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Biolite owners  (Read 12808 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Biolite owners
« on: February 05, 2015 »

I have on order some parts which I am going to use to make a diy version of the biolite stove. Most of it is all by basic thermoelectric stuff so pretty simple. I am wondering a few things though and would appreciate if owners of the biolite can help out.

1. Does the stove have any sort of battery capacity to allow storage of energy? ( I am aware you still get a charge after the fire goes out, but that is a different thing entirely).
2. Does the stove have the fan just inside the charging unit or is there one at the base also?

If possible could someone see if the charging unit detaches from the main stove body so they could get some pictures of how it is all positioned inside, many thanks.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Biolite owners
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015 »

Hi Rich.H,

I'm only seeing your post now but I should be able to help you out.  I have a Biolite and will trying and get the info you need, and a few photos, for you this evening.

My Biolite is one of the first released so there could possibly be a few updates/enhancements since then.

With regards to the fan... The only fan on the biolite is the one built into the detachable unit.  There is no fan in the base.

What the storage capacity of the unit is I haven't a clue but will try and find out for you.
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015 »

Hi Rich.H,
I'm only seeing your post now but I should be able to help you out.  I have a Biolite and will trying and get the info you need, and a few photos, for you this evening.

Sorry Rich.H, I'd so much romancing to do, with it being Valentines Day, I never got round to getting you the photo's I promised.  Will defo get them posted here tonight.

8)
See the View

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015 »

No big rush I know the sheep on the hills can get lonely. 8)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015 »

No big rush I know the sheep on the hills can get lonely. 8)

They're happy for another year now  :P
See the View

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015 »

The power unit doesn't have any storage capacity for charging devices.  Mine was put away with a full charge but did not start charging my phone when I plugged it in.  The power stored in the unit is only for the fan.  The fan was running well on the existing charge.  Seems the unit only charges plugged in devices when it is receiving heat energy while the stove is lit.

Here's the pics... Hope they are useful:

8)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015 by Dowser »
See the View

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015 »

Thanks for those it helps a fair bit. I noticed the power unit looks like it just has six screws to hold it together, are they just standard phillips etc? If so is there a chance you would be able to get a couple of pictures of the inside of it. From the way you describe things, it sounds like it is just a glorified version of a peltier unit but it would be interesting to see how they have mounted things inside the plastic part.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015 »

Thanks for those it helps a fair bit. I noticed the power unit looks like it just has six screws to hold it together, are they just standard phillips etc? If so is there a chance you would be able to get a couple of pictures of the inside of it. From the way you describe things, it sounds like it is just a glorified version of a peltier unit but it would be interesting to see how they have mounted things inside the plastic part.

Aye, they are just standard Phillips screws, but 4 of them are buried deep in the casing.  I will see if I have a long enough screw driver tonight to get at them and see if I can let you see its guts.
See the View

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015 »

Here's the insides:

8)
See the View

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015 »

Stove carnage! Did you have many bits left over afterwards  ::)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015 »

Fortunately, it all went back together again no probs  :P

Did leave me wonder why it cost me £120 because there really is nothing to it!!!  Opening it up also explains why there is no storage capacity for charging devices when it's not burning... the Battery is very small and dedicated to holding a charge for the fan motor only so that the stove is easily lit each time.

The way around the lack of storage capacity is to buy a usb back up battery pack and charge it from the stove.  I got a very good one from Lidl a couple of months back which will due the job perfectly.  This one, only in black: http://www.offerscheck.co.uk/silvercrest-power-bank/lidl/2014/kw-50/228078

8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015 by Dowser »
See the View

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015 »

Just to be a pain is there a chance you could get a shot of or read off the writing on the blue cylinder inside? Just for not I don't think it is a battery as you said but more likely just a large capacitor, it would make sense and solves a problem in a neat way. The charge being put out by the peltier device will tend to fluctuate with the amount of heat differential and as such would not be great for charging something like a phone. You would find it would keep coming on and going off charge as if someone was pulling the cable every coupe of minutes etc. Using a big cap like this means it can store the charge for a short time and help regulate the flow to ensure the phone gets a constant 5v charge.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015 »

Just for not I don't think it is a battery as you said but more likely just a large capacitor, it would make sense and solves a problem in a neat way.

Nope, it's a lithium ion battery!

Similar to these but with a 650mAh instead of the 1200mAh.  It's good to know, should I ever need to replace the battery or want to upgrade it.

8)
See the View

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015 »

Is that silvercrest charger capable or charging an iPad? I have a 10,000Mah one I got from Amazon that I've been very impressed with but it was pricier and probably heavier too. Charging phones it lasts for ages but one iPad charge nearly depletes it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BJCHH36?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Fortunately, it all went back together again no probs  :P

Did leave me wonder why it cost me £120 because there really is nothing to it!!!  Opening it up also explains why there is no storage capacity for charging devices when it's not burning... the Battery is very small and dedicated to holding a charge for the fan motor only so that the stove is easily lit each time.

The way around the lack of storage capacity is to buy a usb back up battery pack and charge it from the stove.  I got a very good one from Lidl a couple of months back which will due the job perfectly.  This one, only in black: http://www.offerscheck.co.uk/silvercrest-power-bank/lidl/2014/kw-50/228078

8)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015 »

Is that silvercrest charger capable or charging an iPad? I have a 10,000Mah one I got from Amazon that I've been very impressed with but it was pricier and probably heavier too. Charging phones it lasts for ages but one iPad charge nearly depletes it.

10,000mAh is impressive, and that's a cracking price at £18.99  :o

The Silvercrest one would only be good enough for a phone.  It's got an unimpressive 2600mAh  :'(
See the View
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]