Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Mourne Seven Sevens  (Read 10724 times)

Are we there yet?

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Mourne Seven Sevens
« on: August 04, 2011 »

Hello all! This is my first 'attempt' at the 7 7s! can anyone advise on the best route to Meelbeg from Ben Crom? im thinking back up the Mill River and up to join Bencrom river. Any other advice would be gratefully appreciated!   ::)

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Re: Mourne Seven Sevens
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011 »

Hi welcome to the Forum. LandyLiam is doing the 7 7's this saturday. I am sure he will share the route when he pops along later.
No one goes inside to clear their head

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011 »

i think people normally go the other way round but each to their own, my plan is here http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2277.0 and although i've never done that section before i don't think you need to go along the mill river much before cutting across to ben crom river, some research reveals that the runners go straight up from ben crom dam to the 390m level then contour round to meet the river before tackling meelbeg, of course they are doing it in the right direction  ;D (if like me you have no altimeter then you'll not have much idea where 390m is  :( )

what sort of time are you aiming for? its my first as well and don't know what to expect  ???

p.s. welcome to the forum
think outside, no box required

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011 »

this might make more sense

i believe your route is the pink one, the red one is probably what most people will do, and the green one is the runners shortcut

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011 »

Greatly appreciated! That looks good. (just hope the midges stay away at Ben crom :-[ ) I cant access your plan unfortunately, but id love a look..  Our plan is to tick off the (my) two least favourite ASAP..  so its Donard 1st a quick skip back down to the saddle round the castles then onto Slieve beg/cove/and my dreaded Lamagan and Binnian and another skip down. Over Ben Crom to Meelbeg/More and i really think Bernagh is easier to do from the south Tor another skip down to Hares' Gap then a wee saunter/skip over Slievenaglogh/corragh then onto victory to commadagh (hopefully)..  Ive no idea how long it will take (cant be anymore than 12 hours :o )..  but there will be a lot of skipping done  :D (loving these icons!)
Again.. any thoughts welcomed!  ;D

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011 »

Sounds good, but instead of doing slievenaglogh/corragh why not just amble along the brandy pad?

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011 »

Its a route ive taken a few times, and once you are up it really is only a jog (and a skip) to Commedagh, AND its a nice one ( and a hopeful glance of the Red Arrows) then its all down hill.. much easier than attempting another big climb and decent at the end of a long day (i think?)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011 »

Best of luck with the sevens everyone!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011 »

while on bearnagh yesterday (need to keep reminding redleader that  ;D ) i had a look from a distance at the slievnaglogh>corragh>commedagh route and it definitely looks less painful than straight up commedagh from the brandy pad, i think thats what i'll do next year.

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011 »

I had a brainwave the other night  :o (it doesnt happen often :o )think next year i'll register, then drive to carrick little carpark..  do Binnian, register at Ben Crom (midges dont come out that early  ;D) then onto Lamagan DOWN the other two, up and down Donard, across to Commedagh over to Bernagh do the two little'ns AND then down to the happy valley Carpark where my hubby picks me up and drive round to finish!!  sound like a plan! ha!  8) we will see, as i have another 3 weeks to do to enable my leg to heal from the last one :'(

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011 »

i had thought of that too  ;D

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]