Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: LurganE Greetings all!  (Read 4853 times)

LurganE

• Newbie Poster
LurganE Greetings all!
« on: February 17, 2016 »

Hi There,

Lurgan Man, 40, but I have a young mindset, really getting into the all things outdoors. I have done the city thing, hedonism and the daily rat race, and I need something new and I feel like I have just woke up and started to realise that I actually love all things outdoors.  I am a new comer to all this to the extent that I bought my first pair of walking boots, rain jacket, munro trousers and backpack.  I have been watching a lot of videos on wild camping, hill walks and bushraft so I plan on opening up a new chapter in my life learning as much as I can about the whole lot.  Its as simple as that, I have decided. lol  I am in the process of getting kit together, ie tent, tarp, equipment and by the summer months going to hit the hills maybe before for a bit of wild camping and walking.  As, I said, I would appreciate any advise or tips, as I am a new into this thing, but I am a strong believer in life long learning.  I am a pretty easy going chap with good sense of humor, certainly no psychopath or fool, pretty good company I am told.  I hope to meet new folks for trips, meeting with the same interests and a bit of craic.

Here is a couple of questions a good tent for two person, as I pan on a bit of comfort £100-£200 Backet, maybe a little more.  I plan on camping down in forests probable annalong, anybody know any other good for a camp?.  I need to learn to map read, where do I start? Do you guys organise meet ups? Knowledge sharing a few beers ect.  Any good books?

Basic backpack kit, I will be buying these things slowly and surely as they can be pretty expensive?

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: LurganE Greetings all!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016 »

Welcome LurganE, this sounds very familiar  8)

Tents are like Marmite, people have their own personal tastes and it depends on what you want to do and where. If you want to hike distances or ascent you'll want something light unless you're good and fit. If you want shorter distances you can go a bit heavier obviously. Also, the terrain and weather you expect also comes into the equation. If you intend to be pitched on the top of a mountain then you'll want something that can deal well with wind but if you're in a forest then this doesn't matter so much. On top of all that whether you want a porch, how much headroom you want and how many people will be in it matters too. The best thing to do is search the internet and read reviews, it doesn't take long to come up with a pick list of things you need and a set of tents that are in your price range.

Personally, I have a Vaude Ultralight (as 2nd hand) that I use for longer hikes and summit camps and a Vango Banshee 300 that I use for forest camps (though if you're solo the 200 would do). The Vaude is pretty small but light and cosy for one, the Banshee is heavier but has a bit of rolling around room :) Neither has much in the way of headroom and neither has a proper porch.

Annalong Wood is probably the most popular spot in the Mournes for a forest camp. It has secure parking about 40 minutes away and isn't too far or high, however, since it's so popular it's quite heavily used. There's usually broken glass and rubbish around although people do tend to go and clear it up occasionally. Finding forests to camp in around the Mournes is actually quite tough, lots of them either don't allow camping or have unclear rules.

Heggs

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016 »

Hi and welcome to the forum LurganE
I think you'll like it here, it's handy to find new places and meet new people. If you've any questions, just fire it out there and someone is bound to know the answer.
Keep an eye out for people posting hikes or camps, it's great when you fancy something new and you can tag along.

Don't wait until the summer, get out now and enjoy yourself. I was up Binnian a week & a half ago, it was misty, pishing with rain and windy. I had one of the best times I've had on the mournes  ;D

You asked about books, I'm reading this at the minute http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H6WQJPU it's a book on microadventures by Alastair Humphreys. it's only £1.49 today on kindle which is a pain as I paid £4.50 for it last week lol. It gives some great tips on quick overnighters and day trips.

I'm planning on another hike in 2-3 weeks and collect a guy from Lurgan if you want to jump in. I might post an invite here when I get a date. Thinking of Slieve Bearnagh. Alternatively, I have found Doan and Hen mountain some of the easier walks if you wanted to start off slow yourself.

All the best

Stephen

velvetmonkey

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016 »

Hi LurganE,
Welcome to the Forum, there's a great wealth of knowledge and experience here, don't be afraid to use it.
I have taken advantage many times of this, for info and advice.

There are better placed people here to advise where in the Mournes you can wild camp.
Just remember to look up and adhere to the "Leave no Trace" policy.
Not only is it good manners, it's also good campcraft.
Ultimately, it's the only way to sustain the suitability and usage of our outdoor spots i.e. to look after them!

In terms of other wild camp spots, maybe a few closer to home.........
Gosford, even Lurgan Park would be suitable for a stealth camp.
Belvoir Park in Belfast is also a possibility
(although wild camping is prohibited, I do it all the time).

Maybe for your first few times, hook up with someone more experienced - to learn the do's & don'ts, to learn what's required and what's expected.

You'll find that the more you get into it, especially the more your field skills improve, the less kit you need to overnight.

I know my first couple of outings didn't go that well, so don't despair - very few people get it totally right first time.
Part of the fun, for me at least, was finding out what worked and what didn't, what bit of kit was essential and what bits were not needed.

If you're a total newcomer to the world of bushcraft and outdoorsyness, it may be difficult to know exactly what you want to get out of it.

My advise is to try as much as you can, hill walking, wild camping, canoeing, orienteering etc. .You might find yourself naturally heading in one direction or another, let those experiences guide you and mould you.

Some books on the subject that might be of interest.
Last one is no longer in print, but you can get free on t'internet

Ray Mears "Outdoor Survival Handbook"
Mors Kochanski "Bushcraft"
Richard Graves "Bushcraft"

Best of luck to you

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016 »

Hi I'm gonna break the trend so far and keep this short, WELCOME TO THE FORUM  ;D
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

LurganE

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016 »

Thanks all for the kind words and feedback, I really appreciate it  Yeah, leave no trace to me is simply how its is going to be from day one,  be considerate and use the manners you were taught as a kid, which I do have, so I am told.lol. In terms of fitness, I can run six miles in fifty odd minutes and can walk for two or three hours and I am a fifteen stone and around 6ft. The same weight and height as mike tyson, however that is where the similarity ends, thank god. lol. I am walking up donnard on the fourth of march with work colleges for a charity.  I have not been up a mountain in years.  I am walking 6 miles at the weekend with a full day 30l daysack to try to get prepared, but I am under no illusions, I will be shattered during and after it.

I need to buy a new waterproof jacket, I was thinking around £100 quid, is this doable?  I have looked at a couple in Tresspass, Tog, go outdoors.  What would I need for the mournes in march, now I have base layers, fleese.  Anybody recommendations.

I was thinking of maybe a 3 in jacket?

I probably will not be getting a tent until april, but I do like the look of the vango halo 2 man, as I do want to sit up in it, or any semi dome type, any other recommendations?

Yeah Heggs, I could be up for that in a few weeks, I will chip in with the petrol and like to get there and if it doesnt suit this time then hopefully next.  I would dmessage you if i knew how too, or facebook you folk  if you like, just let me know.  I was off facebook ie nosebake for a while, as it was getting a bit of bore and a bit of time waster.

Anyway, I would be greatful for any replys foks and take care.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016 »

Welcome to the forum LurganE, have never seen a Halo tent before but here are some reviews http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Vango-Halo-200/2268 but for that sort of money you could easily get a Vaude Taurus II second hand and save 1kg in weight. As for the jacket anything goretex should be good, not fussed on the 3in1 jackets myself, too bulky, might be ok for walking the dog but too warm for hill walking.
think outside, no box required

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]