Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DSLR Recommendations  (Read 14129 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: DSLR Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010 »

Had a right old fiddle last night and tbh I'm none the wiser :D Will need to get it outside for a proper experiment but all the messing with shutter speeds, exposure, focal lengths and iso numbers just confused the hell out of me. Maybe we should beg one of the pro photographer types to start a thread with some basic information in it or to dig out some links to tutorials. That said, I'm well interested in learning to use it properly.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010 »

Maybe we should beg one of the pro photographer types to start a thread with some basic information in it or to dig out some links to tutorials.

I think the best idea would be to try and get a photography trip organised.  Nothing too strenuous, just a day out with the cameras to share a bit of knowledge.  Preferably that doesn't require lugging a tripod up a mountain ;)  I haven't had my camera out since November so could do with blowing the cobwebs off any way... any one interested?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010 »

Maybe we should beg one of the pro photographer types to start a thread with some basic information in it or to dig out some links to tutorials.

I think the best idea would be to try and get a photography trip organised.  Nothing too strenuous, just a day out with the cameras to share a bit of knowledge.  Preferably that doesn't require lugging a tripod up a mountain ;)  I haven't had my camera out since November so could do with blowing the cobwebs off any way... any one interested?

I'm definitely game. Am hoping for a quick run round Cave Hill this Saturday morning for that very purpose if anyone is interested.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010 »

Will give those videos a look Chris, but the background on his channel was making my eyes bleed!

The OMM chest pouch is a good unit and pretty handy for keeping the camera in, but the e420 is "the worlds smallest DSLR" so you might want to check dimensions first. I also had it round my neck and sitting in the Buffalo top pocket which was also quite handy. Got a lowe pro top loader as well which goes inside a dry bag, and is where the E420 lives if the weather is dump. I think Ortlieb or sea to summit do a camera specific dry bag with padding which might be of some interest, otherwise you could just tape some of a roll mat together for padding and put that and the camera inside a drybag. something like this but with a bit more structure http://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/2009/09/13/myog-padded-camera-bag/

As for the tripod, I've read a couple blogs talking about the velbon v pod as doing a pretty decent job of a lightweight tripod. It's on my shopping list at the mo and should hold my E420 and 14-42 no probs (570grams) but your heavier nikons might struggle on it? At 2 kilo's I think the benbo will only come with me if I'm taking things a bit easier and heading out solely for photo's

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010 »

I have a collection of e-books on photography. They may or may not be complete crap but anyone who wants them PM me and I'll send you a link.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010 »

the vids are aimed at total beginners, they cover everything from how the shutter works to setting your white balance. I'd be up for a bit of a photo shoot I'm not convinced that landscape photography would be the best place to start tho. It can be hard to get right at the best of times especially without a tripod....

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010 »

I would be up for a wee jaunt up the cavehill on Sat Morning for a few pics. I have a football match to do that afternoon, so morning would be great.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010 »

Awesome. What time suits? Although as a pro photographer I'll probably torture the life out of you with inane questioons about my new camera :D

I would be up for a wee jaunt up the cavehill on Sat Morning for a few pics. I have a football match to do that afternoon, so morning would be great.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010 by J »

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010 »

I'm definitely game. Am hoping for a quick run round Cave Hill this Saturday morning for that very purpose if anyone is interested.

I might be able to go on Saturday as well, would certainly like to as Cavehill is a good spot to take the camera out.  Will let you know nearer the weekend though, Im still sickie-bad so not fit for much at the moment :(

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010 »

How about 9.00 / 9.30?

where do you guys want to meet?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010 »

Sounds good, anyone else up for this?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010 »

yes please!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010 »

Since this is actually a DSLR thread I've put a post in the Meets section for this (assuming me, JT, Chris & Jon are going).
Here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=839
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]