Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: How heavy's your pack ?  (Read 8431 times)

b0ogaloo

• Top Poster
    • Kayak Angling Ireland
How heavy's your pack ?
« on: November 10, 2009 »

Out of curiosity I weighed my backpack  and its contents

This is what I would carry for 2 nights

Tent 2.55kg

Rucksack 2.9 kg

Sleeping bag 1.75kg

Self inflating mat 1.8kg

Four litres of water 4.2kg

Tarp  0.7kg

MSR and Fuel 1.15kg  ( that's a full fuel bottle ... really I only need it 1/4 full )

Food  1.0kg

Change of baselayer and socks 0.5kg

Pot , Mocha and condiments  0.7kg

Total of  17.25kgs...

I would carry probably another 1.5kg on my belt

Andy

Banging Square Pegs into round holes since 1969

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
Re: How heavy's your pack ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009 »

I've never bothered to weigh it. If my pack feels too heavy, I'll take something out. Things I will not compromise on though, regardless of weight, is a good sleeping mat and sleeping bag. Anyone can go very light weight, some even go Ultra light weight, but I prefer to carry a bit of extra weight and have a great nights kip.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009 by Celt_Ginger »

Belfastman1958

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009 »

I agree with Celt totally.

The little bit of extra weight can make the difference between a comfortable sleep or not.

As for the weight, mine is always lighter on the return trip as i have ate the food, used the fuel and drank whatever i brought...... ;D

Alan.

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009 »

Are you looking to shed a bit of weight? just looking at that you seem to carry an awful lot of water, and why do you cary a tent and a tarp?

b0ogaloo

• Top Poster
    • Kayak Angling Ireland
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009 »

No I'm not looking to shed any weight..  I'm quite happy with that lot I walked (according to google earth) 12 mile on the Saturday with that on my back , I was glad to get it off at the camp spot , but nothing I couldn't cope with

The water is for me and my dog .

i carry a tent and a tarp so if its lashing down all night  i can rig the tarp to give me somewhere dry to sit , a living area as such

I was just interested to see what sort of weights others were carrying that's all

I agree with the sleeping bit .. hence the big self inflating mat and the  4 season sleeping bag

Andy

Banging Square Pegs into round holes since 1969

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009 »

personally i dont think you really need an eight inch thick sleeping mat mate! ;D

i always carry a tarp,usually a cheap B&Q job ,as you say ,to rig up a living area or wind break instead of being stuck inside my tent.

the dutch oven and cast iron griddle are a bit heavy,but essential for a nice bit of bannock  :P :D

im more of a `make things comfortable` bloke than a `keep it minimal` one. simply because i can carry all i need to BE comfortable.did i mention the jerry can of petrol for the fire?

by the way i use a sabre 45 which is a smashing bag. i thought they were discontinued a while back but apparently not as theres loads of places selling them on the internet.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009 by pablo »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009 »

I like to stay below 15Kg but am notorious for carrying stuff I don't need. I'm a bit anal about weight and have a set of bathroom and kitchen scales for weighing packs and individual items. When I'm hiking I usually bring the scales and get the people I'm with to weigh their rucksacks too for comparison - I think I need help ::)

However, weight of gear is more important if you're in the hills. On the flat a heavy bag isn't too much trouble but if you're on your way up a mountain every extra kilo makes a huge difference.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009 »

True Jonno it's all about what your going to do.
For our go at the Mourne wall my pack weight was about 7kg and that included all I needed (stove, food, water, spare clothes & decent sleeping bag), I did split my tent with a mate which saved me about a kilo but still pretty light. I have gone lighter but that was at a sacrafice to comfort and I think I crossed my own personal limit and am not in a hurry to repeat it. But I have also went to far the other way. As long as your happy with whats on your back great as its you that has to carry it.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009 »

carrying scales????

yes you DO need help mate  :D

good point 666 about `its you who has to carry it`.

obviously it depends on what your tyrying to accomplish and how quickly your moving and on what terrain. i,ll leave the blue arsed fly factor to others and take my own sweeeeeet time thanks lol.

its like that joke about the old bull and the young bull...........im sure youve heard it.

indianian

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009 »

I carry what i need,  weighing it doesnt make it lighter !!!! There's stuff i probably will never need or use but if i didnt have them then sods law is thats when i would need it, such as a first aid or repair kits,  extra wooly hat and gloves. 

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009 »

Just like everything it depends on what you're doing, and how far you're going, and also how much you can afford to spend.

For a couple nights unless you're in the snow I'd be looking at under 9 Kilo's and thats everything including what I'm wearing i.e shoes socks trous top. Its hardly ultra lightweight though and in the middle of summer I could go with less without taking the piss, check what this guy goes out with in the snow, now thats light! http://tiny.cc/minimal

I could carry 20 kilos up hills (have had to do it plus some far too many times) but traveling lighter makes it far more enjoyable, and means you can do a couple more miles in the day, which can make all the difference in winter.

I know you say you dont want to lighten up but your rucksack and sleeping mat look pretty heavy to me, and I wouldn't be carrying 4 litres of water, pretty much ever. Surely a water source isn't too far from you on your walks?

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009 »

interesting link.

and if your interested in testing yourself and ultra fit with it then its all good.

theres no way anyone is going to come up with the `perfect pack` considering the wide range of outdoor activities.
still,its interesting to see who carries what and for what.each to their own and experience is the best teacher in this regard i recon.

theres NO WAY im sawing my toothbrush in half to save a few ounces!

Nightjar

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009 »

I have found recently  that if my packs too heavy the main problem is me being too heavy. I did a camp in Donard wood a few weeks ago carrying the pack plus me wasnt fun.

So on a diet now to lose approx 30lbs

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009 »

That is another point of view to it all. Cheapest way to lighten you're load is to lighten yourself, through exercise, diet or dismemberment (hardcore UL'ers cutt off their toes  :D) No real point getting everything made in titanium if you're eating a pastie supper every night!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]