Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Ben Crom - the fun way!  (Read 5711 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Ben Crom - the fun way!
« on: December 28, 2011 »

Myself and Rumblebum took the opportunity of being off work to head to the mountains.  Starting at the Ott carpark (Blue Quarry?) we headed up the Ott track then up and over Doan then over to Ben Crom. 

Visibility was poor so for the first part of the walk the camera was left in the snugness of its case.  From the summit of Doan we took a bearing to take us down and over the Ben Crom river and up to a point halfway up the lower slopes of Ben Crom.  We then moved along the side of the mountain to have a look at what the gullies looked like from below.  A few pics below show the rest the journey.

Rumblebum takes on the boulderfield

Summit gully from below

Rumblebum takes a look at the summit gully.  I think the deceased mountain dweller told us everything we needed to know!

Looking up the next gully

Taking a breather on the gully

Looking back down the gully

I feel like I have really climbed Ben Crom now.  As I have read elsewhere the summit gully is very difficult with large boulders to overcome and wet slimy conditions - not to be undertaken without adequate protection.  The secondary gully was steep and flows out onto the lower slopes and the whole way down the mountain.  There is obviously an inherrent risk when climbing the steep flank of a mountain and care must be taken to ensure that adequate foot placement and handholds are used.  The gully got steeper towards the top but the feeling of getting to the top was great.

Another great day out! 
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: Ben Crom - the fun way!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011 »

Always wanted to do Ben crom that way,looks like you had fun

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011 »

i've yet to do ben crom and that way certainley looks interesting, we were looking at the castle of commedagh yesterday think it would be great to spend a day exploring those gullys, but as you say, its risky  :o
think outside, no box required

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011 »

Those gullies look really cool.  We got stuck trying to climb down one on the gullies on Ben Com not sure which one it was. The weather was really bad and it had a waterfall flowing down. Luckly we were able to get back out of it ok.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012 »

Those gullies look really cool.  We got stuck trying to climb down one on the gullies on Ben Com not sure which one it was. The weather was really bad and it had a waterfall flowing down. Luckly we were able to get back out of it ok.

I'm usually game to have a go at climbing up anything.  You're brave going down the way, think I'll leave that for a very dry day.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012 »

It was a pretty stupid idea. No one got hurt so lucky enough. Would like to try climbing up it.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

jusmeig

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012 »

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any co-ordinates for the entrance of Great Gully on Ben Crom?.
I spent a whole day yesterday poking around the gullies, climbing up several (Not Summit Gully!!!) but being forced to turn back or climb out of them.

I think we might have found Great Gully at the end, however we did not have enough time left to ascend and descend safely.
Anyone got a GPX file of the Great Gully route?

General advice: Wear a helmet on any gully route. My mate dislodged a large stone that almost hit me on the head. Silly to take a risk when a cheap helmet will make a huge difference.

J

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]