Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Donegal bothy  (Read 9566 times)

DrMonkFish

• Newbie Poster
Donegal bothy
« on: January 11, 2016 »

Has anyone seen this -

http://4bothies.com/?p=109

Trying to figure out exactly where it is -

Directions? Round the back of Slieve League and the quiet majesty of some of Europe’s tallest sea cliffs would put you in sniffing distance. If you hit Gleann you’d have gone too far, but have a look at the church with St. Patrick and the donkey. The library’s across the bog lake, opposite the decks of carved and drying peat.

I'm thinking the lough is Lake Agh, it would be a cool place to spend a night.

Campervic

• Newbie Poster
Re: Donegal bothy
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016 »

I quite like Lough Unshagh for it, as there's a couple of buildings on the western shore of the lake, whereas the historic maps (available on OSI.ie) do not show any buildings adjacent to Lough Agh or Lough Auva. However, a quick search of Lough Unshagh shows two ruined cottages unless the photo is more out of date than the blog post.
Another candidate is at Lough Auva again, there's at least three ruined cottages (clearly visible in Bing Maps which is better resolution) at the far end of the forest from the lake. However if the bothy was actually in the forest I think that would be noted in the blog post.

If you look on Google Streets at the RC Church in Glencolumbcille there's a horse or a donkey with St Patrick above the front door.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016 by Campervic »

DrMonkFish

• Newbie Poster

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016 »

this might help
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

Campervic

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016 »

I hadn't seen the photos, wish I had! Clears it up as I was thinking of a traditional bothy that is a done up old building just about made fit for human habitation.

I'd planned to go out that way this Spring, I was going to base myself at DerryLaghan just on the other side of Teelin Bay and was hoping to explore these valleys, lakes, cliffs, little bays etc when I go there.

What about this for a vantage point for a bit of photography - photo online of Lough Auva on Mapcarta website
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016 by Campervic »

DrMonkFish

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016 »

We spent a few days last summer hiking from Glencolumbcille to Dunfanaghy which was excellent (we really lucked out on the weather) and maybe this year we may try Glencolumbcille to Donegal town. This would be on the way. If I knew where it was and it current state and capacity  :)

tylercollins

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016 »

It exists!

If you're going, take a pair of wellies with you - the place is completely saturated!

DrMonkFish

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016 »

Congratulations! Did you stay in it or is it too far gone for that?

tylercollins

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016 »

The door (as ye can see) has been ripped off it and the inside is damp, wet and mouldy.  Definitely not somewhere I would want to be staying that's for sure.

But I'd recommend going and finding it yourself, loads of messages wrote on the walls and a diary with comments in it.

Best comment I read was from some girl "why did I do this in skinny jeans and converse" haha

Campervic

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016 »

next people who go up, take a screwdriver and put that door back on. I hope it's still there for Nialls Birthday. In face, you know when the party is - maybe we should gate crash!

DrMonkFish

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016 »

Might take more than a screwdriver to get that back on. Hopefully get a chance to check myself at some stage.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]