Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Help on marathon choice  (Read 5525 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Help on marathon choice
« on: November 14, 2014 »

So today I managed my first non stop 10k run, I was not trying to set records and simply wanted to push myself at a pace I could maintain throughout and not quit. So I timed the run and got 1h03m for 10.7k. Now I know with more training I could push that below and hour in a couple of weeks tops but wanting to look further ahead for something that will require me to see just how deep I can dig, I wondered what about actually trying a city road marathon.

The only two that really could hold my interest enough to pound out tarmac for that distance is either Belfast or Derry. I am just wondering though is it a realistic expectation to get trained well enough to aim for something like sub 4.5 hours between now and May?

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
Re: Help on marathon choice
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014 »

The first marathon I ran was in 1996 when I was 23, I started training in October 95 and did the Belfast marathon in May in 3 hours, 32 mins. I was doing citcuit training 2 nights a week and running a couple of other times and gradually stepped it up till I was running home from circuit training (8 miles) those 2 nights and increasing runs 3 other times a week from 11 to 14 to 18 miles and did up to 21 a couple of times a few weeks before the marathon. I would say 4.5 hours is easily achieveable if you put your mind to it. Its less than 6mph average, walking at a decent pace is over 4mph.

Rusty Madra

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014 »

Go for Dublin Marathon! It has it all: good buzz, no hills... Best of all as you suffer in the 21st mile there's no Belfast Street Kid saying "HERE MISTER... YOU'RE SHIT"
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014 »

Go for it Rich, I've signed up for the Berlin Marathon in September and I might do a very slow Belfast one as preparation (maybe a mourne way & Derry too!), you're 10k time is similar to mine but I don't know what time to aim for  ??? I think i'll make that decision about 2 months beforehand, of course i'll probably get another injury by then anyway  ;D (bad back and 2 dodgey knees at the moment  >:( )
think outside, no box required

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]