Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Bit o' bushcraft  (Read 7420 times)

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
Bit o' bushcraft
« on: December 04, 2009 »

Just a few pics from me and Neils run out to Randalstown forest last sat which was just basically tarp setup, fire and frapping a tripod ( by the way niba gotta get you to show me some natural cordage like nettle, willow etc  ;) ) oh and some dodgy looking bannock forgot the oil and feck had i some cleaning to do at the pan when i got home!!!

Just about to set up the days camp

Using the Penberthy Knot and a crab to keep the ridgeline of the tarp taught

Weather was kind to us so set up a new to us variation of the tarp

My dog Ben and Neil collecting firewood

Myself frapping a tripod using man-made fibres... help phil,paul,gary,dave!!!

Ben warming his balls by the fire

Bit more gransfors action about to happen

Dodgy Bannock i had no oil so it was sticky as feck but note the salami/tomato skewers fuckin damn tasty

Neil cooking up a storm

Site just before we left

Site when we left... leave no trace!!!

Sorry none of these pics were in any way informative but more of an insight of what us headers get up to on a foggy sat morn!!!

Regards,

Dave
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

pablo

• Sr. Poster
Re: Bit o' bushcraft
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009 »

nice to see the pics though,didnt you get any grief about lighting a fire?

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009 »

If we had of been snared im sure we would of got a fair bit of grief but thats the risk you take. The part we were in was fairly close to shanes castle estate as we heard the boys out shootin pheasant but its well off the beaten track (joggers mainly on the other tracks). Neil put some split green wood on the fire and i thought we were fucked coz it gave off some almighty smoke and the shooting stopped just at that point but we got no hassle at all. The way we look at it is, we left no trace of us being there and the fire got 3 litres of water over it before being spread and we hung about for half an hour afterwards to make sure nothing flared up. Also i got a cheque for £12.50 from the forestry service when i was 15 for putting out a fire in there so the foots in the door a wee tiny tiny bit,  maybe a letter to the swines to let us bushcraft in there wouldnt go a miss... it worked for world of owls club!!!

Dave
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009 »

Nice one. I'll show you how to make withies, though brightly coloured string is becoming very popular, lol.

Paul

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009 »

looked like a good outing lads, gary is right coloured string is becoming a bit of a trensd at the minute though its usually pink LOL!! Next time we are heading out will give you a shout, if you think of some stuff you want to go over im sure we can help. Excellent job with the clean up thats what its all about!!  ;)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009 »

Looks like a top day out. I always forget that you can go and do this stuff just for a day - I tend to do weekends or nothing.

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009 »

yeah i know what you mean Jonno.
feels like its almost not worth it if your not overnighting sometimes.

but a day in the forest round a fire whittling sticks and talking on the same wavelength is well worth getting out there.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009 »

yeah i know what you mean Jonno.
feels like its almost not worth it if your not overnighting sometimes.

but a day in the forest round a fire whittling sticks and talking on the same wavelength is well worth getting out there.

Dammit, I'm only home after a weekend away and now I want to go straight out again.. I'm going home to speed test my Trangia Mini and kettle - I'll just close my eyes and pretend I'm outside :)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]