Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Trail cooking 101  (Read 6985 times)

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Trail cooking 101
« on: June 30, 2009 »

I have changed the title of this thread. Now we can share our favourite camp Breakfasts, dinners or snacks.

Found this site might help on the trail.

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009 by 666_pack »
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: Every little hepls
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009 »

I've had a sniff round a few freezer bag cooking websites. I've not tried it but I was a bit suspicious as to how nice it might taste.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
Re: Every little hepls
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009 »

I also found this while on the hunt for easy trail dinners, it's for the states so some of the recipes will probably need tweeked.

The wurst Backpacking Recipes

Sausages were created as a necessary means to preserve meat. As such they make a perfect backpacking food. Most of us are familiar with eating summer sausage or pepperoni for lunch while on the trail. Some people get creative and add it to their meals. The purpose of these recipes is to take that idea and go a step or two further. The first step is realizing the wonderment of other sausages available. Others which are readily available are: Landjaeger (Germany), Chorizo (Spain/Portugal), Andouille (French/Cajun), Pepperoni (Italian-American), Salame (Italy). In a pinch, one could even use Slim-jims. Check out your local ethnic groceries for other smoked/cured delicacies. One of my favorite, though it is quite rich so I use it sparingly, is chinese sausage. The second step is this list of recipes that incorporates the sausage into it. The impetus for these recipes began in 1985 while on a canoe trip in Algonquin Provincial Park. Were were about 10 days in on a 2-week trip so obviously all our fresh food was gone. While preparing for our dinner we saw in our larder, pepperoni, olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese and linguini. The perfect makings for Pasta con olio e aglio (pasta with oil and garlic) with some additional pepperoni for zest. It came out wonderful and it was one of the trip stories as well. Thus was born the idea of modifying recipes to include sausages.

Just about all of the recipes can use any type of sausage though I may have specified a certain one. The same is true for the starch, often rice and barley can be interchanged or even substitute couscous. In general the recipes have 4 main parts: sausage, starch, vegetable(s), seasoning. Some have an additional protein such as seafood, beans, milk or cheese. One can do a pic-a-mix recipe just by choosing a sausage, starch, some vegetables and a seasoning style, perhaps with an added protein. These lists are by no means exhaustive.

{EDIT: The formatting was lost on this part So I deleted it}

One last note, when I cook I rarely measure out ingredients so I do not have amounts listed here.

Onto the recipes:

European

Bangers and Mashed
potato flakes
onion flakes
oregano
gravy mix
smoked sausage (pork)
olive oil

Make mashed potatoes. Saute sausages. Add water and onions, oregano and gravy mix to sausages. Pour bangers and gravy over the mashed. Goes awesome with baked beans.

Lentil Stew with Sausage
lentils
onion flakes
Landjaeger
tomato powder
oregano
sage
cayenne
dehydrated carrot
dehydrated celery

Combine all with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 40 minutes.

Sausage Au Gratin
dried potatoes
onion powder
garlic powder
dried green onions
olive oil
dried milk
cheddar cheese powder
parmesan cheese
pepperoni
water

Put it all in a pot and bring to a boil. Must simmer/cozy for a while to rehydrate the potatoes. Option to add in other dried vegetables.

Knock 'n Kraut
Smoked Knockwurst Sausage
onion
brown sugar
vinegar
water
cabbage
salt and pepper
caraway seeds
potato flakes

Chunk up knockwurst. Simmer sausage with everything except for potato flakes. Thicken sauce with potato flakes. Make mashed potatoes to serve over.

Mediterranean

Paella (tough to make for one)
chorizo sausage
olive oil
onion
garlic
rice
salt/pepper
saffron
seafood boullion
wine
parsley
shrimp
clams

saute sausage in olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Add rice boullion, water and saffron. Add wine, parsley, shrimp and clams at end to cook thru.

Pasta Carbonara
thin slices of pepperoni
sun dried tomatoes
olive oil
pasta
dried egg powder
parmesan cheese

quick saute of pepperoni and tomatoes in the olive oil. Boil water and pasta to rehydrate. Mix water with egg powder and cheese. When pasta is cooked add egg/cheese and toss to “cook” the sauce.

Chorizo Carbonara
Chorizo sausage
dehydrated pasta
milk powder
cheese
dried green chilis
cumin

Saute sausage with cumin. Add water and pasta. Bring to a boil. Add milk powder and cheese to melt.

Pizza Rice
Olive oil
Rice
mushrooms
pepperoni
onion
peppers
sauce leather/powder
oregano
garlic powder
mozzarella cheese

Cook rice.. Saute onion, pepperoni, shrooms, peppers. Add sauce leather, spices and water. Bring to a boil. Add rice and cheese.

Antipasto Inspired Salad
summer sausage
pepperoni
mozzarella cheese
macaroni
olive oil
garlic
salt and pepper

rehydrate macaroni.(cool it as much as possible). Chunk up summer sausage and cheese, slice pepperoni. Mince garlic. When pasta is cooled, toss with everything else.

Pepperoni and Mushroom Rice
Olive Oil
dried mushrooms
pepperoni
water
bullion cube (veg)
rice
pinch of saffron
parmesan cheese

rehydrate mushrooms. Saute shrooms and pepperoni in olive oil. Add rice. Add water and bullion cube. Bring to a boil. Cover and remove from heat. Serve with parmesan cheese.

Oriental

Lop Cheong (Sausage Fried Rice)
Chinese Cured Pork Sausage
egg powder
cooked rice (cool it down)
green onion
dried mixed vegetables
soy sauce

rehydrate mixed vegetables, scallion and rice. Cool. Fry sausage and remove. Cook egg and remove. Fry rice and green onion, then vegetables, soy sauce. Add in sausage and egg.

American (North and South)

Sausage Dirty Rice
Olive Oil
onion, bell pepper and celery flakes
Andouille sausage
instant rice (or home dehydrated)
boullion cube (chicken or beef)
tabasco
green onion
water

Saute onion and sausage in olive oil. Add rice and Cajun spices to toss. Add water and bullion cube. Bring to a boil. Cover and remove from heat. Wait until done.

Cajun Pasta
Andoulle Sausage
cajun seasoning
olive oil
pasta
milk powder
garlic powder
basil
pepper
parmesan cheese
green onions

Saute olive oil with sausage and cajun spice mix. Boil water and rehydrate pasta. Add milk powder and the rest of the ingredients to make sauce.

Andouille Chicken Stew (for 2)
Olive oil
onion
peppers
salt
cayenne pepper
andouille sausage chunks
chicken packet/can
bay leaf
rice
dried chives/green onions

rehydrate onion and peppers. Saute in olive oil with salt and cayenne. Add chicken and sausage. Add bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil, Add rice. Cover and rest. Remove bay leaf. Stir in chives.

Chicken and Chorizo Stew
chicken packet
chorizo sausage
sun dried tomatoes
olive oil
onion
garlic
bay leaf
parsley
dried beans
S&P

rehydrate onion and tomatoes. Saute with garlic, S&P. Add chicken and sausage. Add bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil. Add beans. Cover. Add parsley at end.

Fejoada (National dish of Brazil)
Chorizo Sausage
smoked ham
dehydrated black beans
onion flakes
garlic
cumin
coriander
cayenne pepper
bay leaves
olive oil
rice

Toss meat and sausage with spices. Saute in olive oil with garlic. Add onions, beans, water, rice to rehydrate. Remove bay leaf before eating.

Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya
Andouille sausage
packet of shrimp
dried bell pepper
dried celery
onion flakes
garlic
salt and cayenne pepper (and/or cajun spice mix)
rice/barley
dried tomato
tomato powder
bay leaf
thyme
green onion
water

soak peppers, celery, and onion in water (the trinity). Quick fry sausage add trinity. Add rice/barley. Stir. Add water, tomato powder, bay leaf, thyme, cajun spice. Cover and simmer. Add shrimp at end.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]